Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Well I wish I had good news to report about my foot, but it has not healed all the way through! I will be in the lovely boot for 3 more weeks!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So great to hear from you Iceman @icep707 thanks for checking in on me. I just keep chugging along with slow progress but this week gives me great hope! My knee is a little sore today after back to back Physical Therapy Wednesday and Thursday, but other than working it those two days I am pretty much pain free and I walk normal again. Since I got my new orthotics to correct the 1/2 inch leg length my hip has NOT ACHED SINCE! I really can't complain, I'm doing the best that I can and will continue to do better because I won't have it any other way.

Yes, I will meet Sonja @RestAssured on Thursday of next week coming up. She's going to come to my running store and try on shoes. We'll go eat somewhere and of course take pictures to show on Bonesmart!
 
Since I got my new orthotics to correct the 1/2 inch leg length my hip has NOT ACHED SINCE! I really can't complain,
I hope after my podatrist appointment and getting new orthotics, walking will be easier for me.
Can't wait to see the photos with Sonja!
 
I hope after my podatrist appointment and getting new orthotics, walking will be easier for me.
Can't wait to see the photos with Sonja!
I sincerely hope that your podiatrist can help you as well as mine did me Chris! I know this, I should have not waited 6 months. I wonder if that is what also is helping my ROM...since I am not walking lop sided all the time = less stress on the knee!
 
I wonder if that is what also is helping my ROM...since I am not walking lop sided all the time = less stress on the knee!
I think walking correctly would be less stress on your knee, less swelling, and increased ROM :yes:.
I sure hope the podatrist can help, I have been dealing with this sooooo long.
 
So I have been walking now about 5 times, doing 4 1/2 miles each time. I have been walking in my Hoka's wearing my orthotics which corrects my leg length difference. While I love my Hoka's, I have lots of shoes that I love and I own about 80 pair of running shoes and just this week I found out I am getting another 4 free pair from the reps who come to my store. Free, Brooks, Saucony, Hoka and New Balance. I have shoes that I just wear and shoes that I am serious about athletically speaking. I was the same when I was running marathons. I had plenty of shoes to just wear but only one model/brand for my running shoes. So...I have been doing a shoe experiment as to which shoe I want to settle in on for my athletic walking. Like I said, I walked in Hoka, walked in Asics Kayano before I got my orthotics, and yesterday I did my 4.5 miles in my Adidas Energy Boost. I love my Adidas Boost I own 6 pair of them in different colors!! But, walking fast and serious I found out yesterday they were not my shoe 'for that'! My knee has been REALLY sore today. I ended up being 2 minutes slower covering the same distance. With 3/4 mile left yesterday I was limping. Right now the clear winner is the HOKA! 2.5 times the cushioning of any other running shoe on the market and boy does it make a difference for me! Let's see how many colors of Hoka I can own now!!
 
Let the shopping commence on Thursday for Hokas; several pair so I will be ready for January! Abby and I are so excited! Now, I need my foot to get happy too! We are ready to start serious training!:happydance:
 
You really should start a blog with all of your information on shoes! I have never heard of Hokas but will definitely be checking them out.

When I was a runner, I would turn my old runners (old being a few months old depending on the milage I was at) into my walking shoes or gym shoes. When I stopped running and was not doing much walking and gym time do to painful arthritis, I donated most of my shoes to one of our local running stores that sends them to Africa. I have mainly worn Asics, Saucony and New Balance. Tried Brooks but they were not for me.

Sounds like your training is going well!
 
You really should start a blog with all of your information on shoes! I have never heard of Hokas but will definitely be checking them out.

When I was a runner, I would turn my old runners (old being a few months old depending on the milage I was at) into my walking shoes or gym shoes. When I stopped running and was not doing much walking and gym time do to painful arthritis, I donated most of my shoes to one of our local running stores that sends them to Africa. I have mainly worn Asics, Saucony and New Balance. Tried Brooks but they were not for me.

Sounds like your training is going well!
Well my knee is still sore from Sunday walking in the Adidas, but please don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Adidas Energy Boost, it is just that some shoes are better or not... for certain activities. I was very down today that my ROM was a painful 115 at Physical Therapy today. @71Beetle I've always been an Asics wearer too. I've never cared for Brooks but I'm finding that with my new orthotics almost any shoe can be made comfortable since I put my custom support inside. We take donation shoes too at the store, they go to local homeless shelters and Africa too. Hoka are fairly new shoes, originated in Colorado and created by Ultra Marathoners (maybe 5 years ago). Originally designed for runners doing 100 mile runs! 2.5 the cushioning of a regular running shoe and incredibly light weight. They're popularity is spreading like wildfire. If anyone wants to take a look go to www.hokaoneone.com (that one one is pronounced "O-nay O-nay" meaning time to fly! I can tell you this...walking in Hoka's I've done great!!! Btw, New Balance gave me free shoes today the W980. Later in the week I get free Brooks Glycerin, Saucony Ride, Hoka Conquest, Hoka Clifton (new, not released yet) and some Mizuno's. My distance walking shoes are Hoka, the clear winner so far!!!

@RestAssured Sonja, I put two women's Hoka's on the hold shelf for you today so you can try on, and we also have a ton of men's Hoka's in flashy colors we can try too.
 
I will be checking the Hoka's out for sure. I will no longer be running but will look forward to getting back to long walks. I walked a 10K race in May 2012 but that was the last distance walk I trained for or completed. I have never tried Adidas. I have a pair of their flip flops that I like though.

Enjoy all of you new shoes!
 
I will be checking the Hoka's out for sure. I will no longer be running but will look forward to getting back to long walks. I walked a 10K race in May 2012 but that was the last distance walk I trained for or completed. I have never tried Adidas. I have a pair of their flip flops that I like though.

Enjoy all of you new shoes!
@71Beetle, Lisa, the Adidas Energy Boost is like no other shoe that Adidas has ever made. They feel absolutely wonderful!! If someone needs the stability version then the Adidas Adistar Boost is for them. I wear them all week long, I own 7 pair of them in different colors...the Hoka just gives the most protection for power walking multiple miles.
 
Fun fun afternoon/evening with Sonja @RestAssured! So now we are REAL friends, not just internet friends. It's funny how you can meet someone for the first time (for real in person) and then be able to talk and laugh with them like you've know each other forever. We had a really good time today. She did some pretty good shopping in my store today, she is now the proud owner of TWO pair of Hoka's and fantastic socks Feetures! Tell me how much you love those socks Sonja after you try them. We had a nice healthy dinner of a fantastic salad at Salata in Market Street in The Woodlands, TX., and eventually I drove her to her sisters house. Next time we meet will be in January for the 1/2 marathon in Houston.

Sonja is funny and so very nice, the same person that we know and love on Bonesmart. Surprises??? I thought she'd be taller and she's lost even more weight, that she was smaller than I envisioned. You are doing such a great job Sonja? You'll be a shadow of your former self by the time I see you next.

We got a picture is my store with Hoka's on, a selfie we took at Salata and one I took of Sonja at the table. Enjoy...we are two very lucky Bonesmarties to have met!
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
 
I took a picture of all of the shoes, socks, and other stuff I bought at Bonnie's store! I had so much fun shopping!:happydance:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
    image.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 219
I took a picture of all of the shoes, socks, and other stuff I bought at Bonnie's store! I had so much fun shopping!:happydance:
What fun Sonja!! I hope you love all your new stuff. If you need anything else, you have my card and just send me a message and I can buy and ship to your home! I had lots of fun yesterday!
 
Hi Bonnie -- I spent the morning reading most of your posts, because I like you, love running and have been mourning the loss of it due to my arthritic knee. I have undergone injections of two types of synthetic lubricant, having just finished the second round about a week ago. Waiting to see if it helps, and if it doesn't I know that TKR is my next option. But, I don't want to give up running forever. I was so inspired by your determination to run again, but I somehow keep losing the thread in terms of continuity of your story. The article I read about you and your doctor seems to indicate you are no longer planning to run again. Is that true?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom