Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

I am paying for yesterday's gains with a stiff knee today...oh well that just seems the way it is going to be. I did make a trip up to the running store to visit today, got me some new Nike running shorts too! Can home and shocked the pool, brushed the walls of the pool and watered all the patio plants. Finally my knee said enough! First I used ice for 10 minutes, then heat with my Tens Unit and oh what a difference it has made. Seems to be the secret for me when I get real stiff.

Bonnie
RTKR 3/28/11
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Hi Bonnie!

Congratulations! Each milestone makes it feel more worthwhile!:biggrin:

You are doing great!:dancy:
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Sounds like a good day! :) Can you go in your pool yet?
I'm anxiously waiting for the lake to warm up so I can go in again. It's going to take a while as the ice just went out a little over a week ago!
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

I can't go into the pool until my scabs are all gone, I still have 3. My PT says it will be great for me when I can get into the pool. The water is warm already and just waiting for me. Maybe 10 days more?

My daughter just left here, borrowed something to take to OKC for the marathon this weekend. I thought I had accepted this but I realized as she was leaving when I wished her good luck, how sad I am. This was supposed to be 'our' trip this weekend, and here I am, laying on my couch with a knee that won't bend past 96 degrees! I guess it was about time for another good cry!

Bonnie
RTKR 3/28/11
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Oh bless you! That's a real downer, isn't it? How you must ache to get going again.
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Bonnie, next year when you are running with your daughter you will look back and realize that all the ups and downs were worth it. Just think of what you will be able to do in a few months!
 
I sure hope so JerseyChick! It was exactly one year ago today that I ran my last marathon, it was in Oklahoma City and it was a great and fun experience. I knew I had a not so good knee then but never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that I would have a new knee one year later.

Bonnie
RTKR 3/28/11
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

You'll be turning the cranks on the bicycle in PT in no time, Bonnie. Congratulations on your little victories of the day.
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

One day at a time for now. Each little victory now has big gains later.
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Bonnie the e-sim in therapy is a real help. I would love to have one at home. How did you go about getting the tens unit? Did you have to have a doctors order? Is it similar to the e-stim in therapy?

Donna
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Donna, it is a Tens Unit that I have. It says Bio Stim by INF. I bought it through a rep at the pain management doctors office back in Janary when I was still trying to make myself feel better without having a TKR! I am very glad that I bought it because I an still use it now and it helps. I let my daughter use it for her IT Band before she ran the Houston Marathon and never had any problems running her 26.2 miles. My husband can use it for Plantar Fasciitis too. It is a good thing.

Bonnie
RTKR 3/28/11
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Hi everyone...I have not checked in for a while but I wanted you all to know that I am still here and doing well. As of today I am 6 weeks post op, and have my ROM up to 106 now! Remember how worried I was early on that I would never be able to bend my knee again! I know that this week I will get to 110 and will be able to ride the bike in PT. I can go all day without pain meds, can go up the stairs (the normal way) as long as I have one and rail. Tomorrow I see my OS for the 6 week check and I have a list of questions to ask. I am also hoping that he will say I an go into my swimming pool! My PT tells me that water therapy will help lots! I still run pretty low on energy if I am out too long or on my feet for several hours. I am driving now, still resting, elevating, and icing regularly. But mostly I am just starting to feel normal again! I like it!

Bonnie
RTKR 3/28/11
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

It will, it will! And see? Only 5 weeks out and already you're so much better! In another 5 weeks you'll be even better again! :thumb:
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Bonnie....I'm so happy for you. That's a wonderful report!!! Keep it goin' and you are going to be your old self in no time.
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Great report Bonnie! I am so happy for you....another few weeks and you will be feeling even more normal.
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

I saw the OS this morning, he thought I was doing great! He told me to get on the bike now and into the pool too! I don't need to see him again for another 6 weeks! He said no worries about scar tissue, I am past that and the only way now is up with my ROM. He said there is no need to stop at 120, I could get all the way to 140 if I keep working hard...and you know that I will!!!

Bonnie
RTKR 3/28/11
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Bonnie,
Definitely get on the bike. It was initialy tough getting over the top. Backwards might be easier, but once I got spinning there was no stopping me. When it get a little easier I asked to lower the seat a notch at PT, that force my knee to bend a little further each time over the top.

I am only guessing but I think that repeated bending going around the pedals has speeded my rom numbers enormously. More than a PT pushing to the point of pain a couple time a week.

Not only that the bike, indoor or out will enable you to work on cardiovascular recovery. You will kneed that when you start jogging/running again.

Go for it!
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

That is indeed wonderful news! You are really progressing and moving forward. The bike will be a big benefit for you---it will help with ROM as well as keeping the knee loose, strengthening the muscles, and building stamina and cardio.

Normal is great---keep it up! There is more for you out there, too!
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Great to hear you are doing so well. The pool (hot tub for good strectching) and bike will have you on your way. Just don't let your enthusiasm carry you too far too fast becasue it will make you stop and recover. How do I know this? Did it. This is the fun part - enjoy!
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

I bought my trainer yesterday for my bike...but it is still in the trunk of my car. I can't wait to get it set up and start riding. Don't worry Rupp, I will behave! My doctor told me yesterday...don't try to push through your stiffness or swelling if it means you cannot exercise the next day. Push to your daily limit, rest then go for it again tomorrow! Pretty good advice I would say.

Bonnie
RTKR 3/28/11
 
Back
Top Bottom