Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

As someone put it to me at about this same time... It hasn't even been 2 months yet!!! Take it easy, but push where you need to. Yes, your body will remind you who is boss! :)
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

My father had a saying when I was growing up, "Your eyes were bigger than your stomach!"

Allegorically, in a way, this applies to us in recovery---our minds and our zest for recovery believe that our knees are capable of doing more than they actually can. We "get the bug" to test out what we can do and feel great, only to find out later on (or the next day) that our knee is sending us a message, like:"What in the world were you thinking?"

I would imagine that all of us have done this, and I would imagine that many of us (I know I was) did it several times. OK, so I was a slow learner...:snork:

Just celebrate the milestones you are achieving but work sto stay within your knee's comfort zone.
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

I agree with BigGene....the bicycle is one of the best things you can do following a knee replacement.
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

I like the bike too. It's great for flexion. With my manipulation I'm now able to scoot all the way up. And the others are right your knee will let you know when it is too much. I know mine has several times. I'm a slow learner too as well as a turtle recovery. I think you can call me a lemon.

Donna
LTKR 12/06/2010
Left knee manipulated 05/13/2011
 
Well I have not been able to pedal the bike since I did it on Saturday! I angered my knee too much doing that and so it has fought back with swelling and stiffness. We took it easier in PT yesterday to try to keep the swelling down. I was able to still get to an uncomfortable 113 ROM so I did not regress there! Let's hope tomorrow...Wednesday will be a break through day for me!

Bonnie
RTKR 3/28/11

I like the bike too. It's great for flexion. With my manipulation I'm now able to scoot all the way up. And the others are right your knee will let you know when it is too much. I know mine has several times. I'm a slow learner too as well as a turtle recovery. I think you can call me a lemon.

Donna
LTKR 12/06/2010
Left knee manipulated 05/13/2011
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Even if you can't go all the way around, sometimes it's good just to rock back and forth with the pedals a bit each day. But you're absolutely right to give yourself a rest to combat the swelling. Don't forget the ice, elevation and maybe even some anti-inflammants too.
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

OMG!!! I went into Physical Therapy with very low expectations and an aching leg today...but ended up being so happy! My ROM was 114, and I peddled the bike for the first time...and I peddled it for a full 25 minutes! I felt just as happy as when I was 5 years old and learned to ride on two wheels!! I feel awesome!!!

Bonnie
Rtkr3/28/11
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

That is great news! The bike was then and still is (obviously) my favorite! You are making solid progress and your ROM is coming along quite nicely!

These unexpected milestones are really awesome and bring about some great joy! you are re-assembling your life!
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

:th_heehee: That is so good to hear. Not so long ago you were full of woes about 'should you do this' and all! Now look at you!
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Bonnie you are doing fantastic! Great for you! That is such a good feeling to come to another milestone. Day by day you are reaching your goals! Hugs.....:dancy:
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Another week and you will be riding outdoors. That was a real emotional milestone for me.

Just take it in small chunks. Don't go nuts with sucess, keep them incremental.

For me, ROM improvement followed the pedaling.
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Today is my 8 week anniversary of my new knee. I got my ROM to 115 for the first time today and was able to ride the bike again, which makes two days in a row for the bike. What has been happening is that I ride the bike then get sore and swell and have to go several days between the bike so today was a first in that I could bike two days in a row! I plan on getting to 120 by Thursday of next week!! Oh...how I used to worry about never bending my knee again!

Bonnie
RTKR 3/28/11
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Great news! Just keep using the same approach and listen to your body; don't be afraid to take a day off here or there and let your body rest.

You are doing great! Keep up with your program and keep moving forward.
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Bonnie your post was what I needed to hear. After being up for one and a half hours last night with knee pain I was thinking I would never be able to truly bend it again. You have given me hope to hear this. I am very happy for you. Keep it up and listen to your body when it needs to rest. Hugs, Ann
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Yesterday at PT I was able to lower the bike seat a notch, I figure it is about an inch. I was able to pedal away, much more comfortably so I know I am healing. I came home and lowered my bike seat as well and could still pedal! Not so sure what today will bring as my knee may just want rest today. I am just thrilled about how well I am going up and down the stairs now, had to give my husband a demonstration last night. The smile on his face said it all. Oh...also I have worked a total of 9 hours over two mornings at the running store. It is fun being out in the world again, and as you might suspect the subject of bad knees comes up all the time from the runners that come in...and as far as that goes they are talking to the right person when talking to me. A Physical Therapy student came into the store on Monday, he was very interested in my knee, he said...can I touch it? He asked me lots if questions about the surgery and recovery and my PT. I told him to come back any time and maybe I could help him with his homework!

Btw...love this new format here on Bonemart!

Bonnie
RTKR 3/28/11
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

...I peddled the bike for the first time...and I peddled it for a full 25 minutes! I felt just as happy as when I was 5 years old and learned to ride on two wheels!!

Bonnie > > >
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Cool beans Bonnie... Cool beans. Time and patience... When I went to look at running shoes, the salesman wasn't surprised by the replacement, but by how soon after the surgery I was able to get moving. You'll be an inspiration to your customers!!!!
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

WOW...you are doing GREAT Bonnie! I think it is great you are working at something you love....you will be a great asset to the store and their customers. :thumb:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom