Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

He said no worries about scar tissue, I am past that
Good to hear of a surgeon with some brains and common sense! :thumb:
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

It just keeps getting better!! Yesterday I made it to 110 ROM and today I got to 113 ROM! No way but up from here! I am happy, I can see a future beyond this knee now!

Bonnie
RTKR 3/28/11
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Not quite as excited today...I got my bike set up on my new trainer here in the house...and I still am not able to do a full rotation with the pedals. Just go forward to a point...then backwards to a point, but can't get all the way around yet! Very frustrating. I will work at it this weekend so next week I will be doing it! 6 weeks 4 days post op today.

Bonnie
RTKR 3/28/11
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Bonnie you are doing fantastic! It will come, keep it up! Hugs to you! Ann
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Have you got the seat set nice and high so your leg is well extended? That's essential for the first few times. Makes it much easier for you to get that first precious "all the way round" rotation. Once you have done it a few times, then drop the seat in stages every once in a while. But take your time doing it.
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

I found that wearing shoes with a real thin sole helped the first time out. I also did a few flex stretches first as well.

Going backward was definitely easier than forward for me that first time around.
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

I got my bike set up on my new trainer here in the house...and I still am not able to do a full rotation with the pedals.

It will happen in a matter of days. You are almost there. :flowerysmile:
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Right - nearly there. 115 is where I was able to get around - backwards first then forward. Don't push it if you can't get around. Keep doing the things that gained you the flex so far and when it is a little more you'll be able to go around.
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Bonnie your doing super and everyone is right it will soon go round a full circle on your bike.

Putting the seat up high as Jo says will help. I had an upright stationary bike at first and ended up trading it in on a recumbent one. It was easier to work on flexion for me. However you'll have yours for outdoors later so all will be fine.

It sounds like your making wonderful progress. I'm really happy for you. You were in good shape preop and that helps recovery.

Donna
LTKR 12/06/2011
Left knee manipulated 05/13/2011
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

I did it! I did it! I did it! I was determined that I would get those pedals to go around this weekend and I did. I tried and tried and tried, I was getting so frustrated and it hurt, but no more than a PT hurt. Finially I raised up just about an inch off of the seat and I could pedal backwards, then I tried frontwards, a little harder but I did it. I started crying with joy! My husband says, "why are you crying?"...I told him because I am soooo happy! When I was done with the bike, I got in my pool for the first time (water temp 82 degrees heated by the sun). I did my PT leg lifts and some water jogging. I am happy this evening!!

Bonnie
RTKR 3/28/11
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Way to go! I teared up myself when I was able to get the pedal over the top outdoors.

Set limits from here on. Always do a little less than you think you can.
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Congratulations! That is no small feat! It is a big milestone and you are making great progress.

Big Gene has a great point---so a little less than you would like to, and you will keep your knee happy!
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Yeah Bonnie that is great about getting your complete revolutions on your bike. Your really coming along well. I've been thinking of getting into a pool but have not joined a gym yet. Seems with work and therapy at home I've just not had time to do so. However I hear pool excersizes are really good for rehab.

Donna
LTKR 12/06/2010
Left knee manipulated 05/13/2011
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Way to go Bonnie! Getting all the way around feels like forward progress, doesn't it? Limits are a good idea, I always checked with my PT and my friend therapist as well.
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Bonnie I am so happy for you. These milestones are so joyous and important. In a matter of time you will look back on this with awe. Little by little we get there! Ann
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

I was thinking about you today---they ran the Cleveland Marathon this AM...pretty good marathon weather, too---mid '50's and a little damp---no breeze at all.

19,000 people either ran a 10-K, half-marathon, or the marathon. The winning women's time was 2:43:47.
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Glad to hear the you thought of me during the Cleveland Marathon Referee! Ahh what I would give to be out there too, even if it was just the 10k! What you described did sound like perfect weather.

I think I made my knee a little mad yesterday...between the bike and the pool, it is protesting with stiffness today. Now I know what some of you meant about holding back just a bit! PT tomorrow and back on track!

Bonnie
RTKR 3/28/11
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom