Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Yay Bonnie! Going outside with friends, that is great! I hope you have a wonderful time!! And don't be afraid to ask for extra chair if you need to put your leg up. Embarrassing? A bit. Easier on your knee? I think so. Have fun today, I am so happy for you!
Parla
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Oh it does! I was so grateful when Sue (nursepair) and her husband visited and took me out for dinner. Helped me no-end!
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Had a nice time being out in the world today eating lunch with 5 friends! I had a quiche florentine and pasta salad with mango iced tea! Couldn't eat it all, but it was just so nice to be with friends since I have been so isolated for the past 3 weeks. After lunch i had an hour break to put my feet up and ice my knee, then another friend picked me up for PT. Today I got my ROM to 80, eight days ago I was 62, today I got to 80!!!! Woo hoo!

Bonnie
RTKR 3/28/11
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

It was nice of your friends to take you out into the "real world" for a while. That return (albeit most likely somewhat tiring) is quite refreshing and allows us to get out of the Depressed, stuck at home, mundane routine. Those little excursion feel great and soon will blend into full day events that will be pain-free!

congratulations on a milestone achieved!
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

What a good day for you, Bonnie! Here's to many more!!! Hope you plan to take it easy tomorrow, though.....you may need a little more rest after all that activity.
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Sorry to hear about your dog. I have a Golden who I love dearly and he is 12+ years so I know my days with him are counted.

Good to see you got out with friends. I can remember when I was recovering and a friend would call and ask if they should bring lunch or should we go out. I always wanted to go OUT even with my walker or cane.

Good to see you are recovery well and increasing on the ROM. Keep up the good work.

Glad to see you are considering other activities other than running.
I especially missed being able to run this week with all the press about the Boston Marathon.
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Just saying Hi Bonnie... haven't played words today.. not feeling good. This maybe the 10 day wall.
parla
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

I have been worried about you Parla...I am glad that you checked in. Was telling my husband all about you and his heart goes out to you too! If this is the 10th day then you will start feeling a bit better soon!

Now I almost hate to tell this since you are feeling so badly, but....drum roll please...I had PT today I got my ROM to 87! That is an upward increase of 25 degrees in 9 days! Now a weekends rest and I will hit 90 and beyond next week! Josephine your tough love is right on! You told me not to worry, it is all coming together it seems! I will keep thinking positive thoughts!!

Hang in there Parla, sending positive thoughts your way!

Bonnie
RTKR 3/28/11
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

I knew you could do it, I knew it, I knew it!!! I am so HAPPY :hapydancsmil:
First smile out of me today!:hapydancsmil::hapydancsmil::hapydancsmil:
It reminds me of me at round one... I was so frustrated I could not make the pedals go around the bike. So athletic and I can't make the pedals go round? it drove me nuts & one day after rocking back and forth it went totally around! I screamed with joy:yes 4::yes 4::yes 4::yes 4: and this was a quiet PT place so everyone looked at me like I was crazy but I did not care, I was so happy.
I may be having a bad day, but I am so happy for you!!:wubroses:
You go girl!
Parla
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Bonnie congratulations on your gain in ROM. Sounds like your coming along there. Hope you have a wonderful weekend too!

Donna
LTKR 12/06/2010
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Hi Bonnie,
It is great to hear how well you are doing and your ROM is great ! Take care and feel better.
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Hi Bonnie,

It is so great to hear the excitement in your voice!

I am glad things are improving and that you are gaining ROM.:biggrin:
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

I just betcha I can push my knee to 90 now, but I have no way to measure it until Monday when I go to PT again. Yesterday (Good Friday) was a complete rest day for me. Oh, I did something's around the house like put several loads of clothes into the washer and dryer but then it was back to the couch with ice and leg elevated on the wedge pillow. I needed the rest day after having back to back PT on Wednesday and Thursday. My knee was very stiff and more swollen yesterday, but also for another reason I feel that has a lot to do with swelling and fluid retention, and that would be to do with what I ate!

You see I have eaten what I call very clean since my surgery. The first couple of days while still in the hospital I did not have much of an appetite but knew I had to eat, so usually I just ordered soup at the hospital. Same thing when I came home, no appetite so I ate soup which was easy for my husband and tasted good to me...but as that 10th day post op was setting in so was major swelling, big fat ankles on both legs and 10 pounds of fluid in my surgery leg. As you all know...canned soup is full of sodium! The best advice I could give to anyone as for diet pre and post op is to stay away from sodium/preservatives to help with swelling. So the past several weeks I have been eating very lean chicken or turkey, fresh veggies, lots and lots of fresh fruit and berries. No sodium, no preservatives.

I have lost weight although I didn't really need to lose weight (but a girl always likes losing 10 pounds)! So...the point of this story here, is this. My poor husband has been waiting on me, taking care of me wonderfully since March 28. I did real good in PT on Thursday, was happy and said..."let's go down the street to the Mexican Restaurant and get some dinner!" They are close by and serve pretty fast, I knew I would be fine, he liked the idea!! We went I ordered chicken enchiladas, guacamole, it came it beans and rice...oh my goodness...to begin with I could never eat all that food still not having a big appetite, but every bite I could just taste the sodium seasonings in all of the food since I had been eating so clean up to this point. I drank lots of water at the restaurant hoping to flush out the extra sodium I was eating.

End result...all day yesterday, swelling, and stiffness and although not drinking too much at all yesterday, was constantly getting up to go to the potty! My body was trying to finally get rid of the extra fluid that I was holding onto all night and through the day. Woke up this morning and knee bends like it did on Thursday! So, if you are having a problem with extra swelling, just be very mindful of what you are eating and read all the labels. No soup or Mexican food for me for a while yet!

Bonnie
RTKR 3/28/11
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Amen to sodium and preservatives. I try to eat clean and fresh. We add little to usually no salt to our food. Whenever I go out to eat it is so salty I do not enjoy it. Seems you can't taste the food for the salt.

I try to eat fresh as much as possible. I have migraines and one of the triggers is nitrites, nitrates and preservatives. There are a few other things I had to give up I miss like things made from grapes (Yep wine too), chocolate, peanut butter and some aged cheeses.

I too have noticed when the swelling goes down things get better.

Glad you are getting around and doing well. Just feeling like getting up and tending to laundry is progress!!
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Bonnie and Donna, I totally agree with you. I also eat very clean, if only I could get my hubby and son to eat the same food as I do. I try to watch my sodium intake. I never add salt when I cook and you really have to read labels to check out the sodium level. Fresh veggies, fruits, fish, chicken and whole grain for me.
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

About a week and a half ago, I gained 20 pounds in 2 days! I was so swollen everywhere and I could not figure out what had happened. I don't add salt to anything, and I hadn't changed the way I was eating. I decided to increase my water intake and I guess whatever it was flushed out of my body because I lost the 20 pounds again.:biggrin:
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Wow...20 lbs in 2 days:what: ...that is a lot of weight to put on so quickly. Glad it's all gone now.
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

During my 8 to 9 days post op I gained 10 pounds it seems in a day or two, my surgery leg was huge and both ankles I lost that 10 pounds plus 10 more!

Bonnie
RTKR 3/28/11
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

I gained about 20 in the three days I was in the hospital. I asked Ray what I ate as I remember very little since they had me so drugged. I guessed it was the food and peed it out over the next week or so. I couldn't figure out why they kept weighing me in rehab and Ray told me about the gain. I tried to go for the salads and fresh things they offered at rehab center. If only people would catch on food really taste better natural. And its healthier.

Donna
LTKR 12/06/2010
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

When I came home from the hospital, I had gained 10 pounds. I took one look at my leg in the mirror and could see why. It was twice the size of my other leg. In a few days I lost all the water weight and a few more pounds due to no appetite. Fresh foods and salads are the best Donna...I couldn't agree with you more.
 
Back
Top Bottom