Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

What I see is your first knee was too loose, you got ROM fast, irritated all those soft tissues with excessive movement, and developed scar tissue as a result.
What I see now, your revisionist gave you a stable knee, ligaments are balanced, less irritation, and your ROM will come back more slowly, this is a good sign.
There is a Japanese saying: (Apologies if I am wrong about the source)

Fast, Fast, Slow : Describes your first one :console2:
or
Slow, Slow, Fast : This is now! :friends:

Yes I agree, if I had all the $$'s back, and all my lost wages, it would be like hitting the lottery!!!!:happydance:
 
Bonnie, I have following your journey and appreciate the frustration you feel. :groan: As Chris suggested, slower may be more now - your knee has been through a lot. I am not yet at 18 months, but am still developing ROM - its never too late!

It sounds like you still have swelling. Have you tried some shiatsu massage? I found that helped incredibly with opening the lymph system in the leg and reducing swelling. My OS was so shocked, he now recommends it to patients. The massage therapist works the thigh and then gently around the knee, and then starts to move the fluids up from the foot and ankle. And of course I know you are continuing to elevate and ice. Another thing I still do is put one foot up on the third step and very gently bend into the knee - it also helps stretch the front of the opposite leg and the calf and hamstring.

I wish you well!
 
What I see is your first knee was too loose, you got ROM fast, irritated all those soft tissues with excessive movement, and developed scar tissue as a result.
What I see now, your revisionist gave you a stable knee, ligaments are balanced, less irritation, and your ROM will come back more slowly, this is a good sign.
There is a Japanese saying: (Apologies if I am wrong about the source)

Fast, Fast, Slow : Describes your first one :console2:
or
Slow, Slow, Fast : This is now! :friends:

Yes I agree, if I had all the $$'s back, and all my lost wages, it would be like hitting the lottery!!!!:happydance:
@Pumpkln Chris you are so smart! What you said makes so much sense when it is put that way. My husband tells me to be patient and reminds me that I have a pain free knee now, he is right and so are you!
:thankyou:
 
@NightQuilter, Lynn I've not had any massage other than what I get at Physical Therapy. The way you put your foot on the 3rd step to bend is what my OS told me to do. Only problem is we sold our 2 story house and now have one story with no stairs. I need some kind of a step stool I guess so I can try to do it that way. Thank you so much for your ideas. :thumb:
 
Bonnie, I have been following your recovery and you are doing great! Just having a painfree knee and being able to peddle your bike is wonderful, I agree with your husband, you need to be more patient. ROM will improve. My PT hardly ever measured me so not knowing I think was better, always surprised when he did.
Another good way to increase ROM if you have a rocker or glider, sit with feet as far back as possible and slowly rock by & forth. I did that every day and really helped.
 
Thank you @Oldie I don't have a rocker or glider but I can sit on the big exercise ball. I've not heard from you for awhile, I always enjoy your common sense posts to me! Thank you! :thankyou:
 
@Celle Hi Caryl, I meant to get back to you before now and comment on your vacation and up and coming TKR. I am happy to read that your absence was because you were enjoying yourself on vacation with the exception of the pollution in India and the absence of not having handicaps accommodations. You sure do get around...so UK is next to see the new granddaughter. You need to take care of your visits now as long as your 'real' knee will let you because you are right there would not be enough recovery time for that kind of travel. Happy that you are back again!!
 
Something a little different today...My Physical Therapist is also a chiropractor and an acupuncturist, as well as massage therapist. Today after doing soft tissue work on my quad and talking about my quad muscle feeling like a tight contracted rope, he did some acupuncture on it. It didn't hurt and I am really not afraid of needles, and of course I will do anything to help myself get more ROM. So he did this and although I only pulled my knee in wall slides to 113 degrees, once I got on the bicycle I was able to pedal right away with the seat one notch lower and I peddled well. When I am really pushing to bend my knee, most of my discomfort has always been in my quad. Today while really pushing the bend that discomfort was almost non existent. My doctor/PT said that although some people will have somewhat quick results many do better a couple of days after the acupuncture. So I am done until Monday now, I'll get plenty of rest while also doing some of my regular home exercises then Monday more acupuncture in my quad and he will add the calf, as I ALWAYS have a big knot in my calf. I came home much happier today then yesterday!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting about the acupuncture, Bonnie. I hope it helps you. I have to agree that you are going to need some patience with your knee. Remember, it's been through a lot! Each of these traumas adds another level of stress on all those tissues and it can make for a slower and slower recovery with each new procedure.

I'm going to tag @Josephine as well so that she can have a read on your progress. She may have some additional words of support for you! Hang in there, hon!!! Focus on the positives!!!
 
Bonnie, sounds good, I am a great believer in accupunture, it has helped both myself and my husband with different problems, did not use it for my knee. Hope it helps you, but I still think you need to be patient, as Jamie says your knee has gone thru a lot, needs time. You will get the ROM in time.
 
I too, am a huge fan of acupuncture. Years ago it got me walking when I was nearly immobilized! Go for it Bonnie. I am delighted to hear you experienced such immediate results - the long-term should be even better! Different strokes, and all that. No steps? Not even to the front door? Perhaps even pushing a chair against the wall (so it won't slip) and standing about 15 inches away and putting the right foot on the seat might replicate the stair exercise.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
Good to hear that things are going well. Hope the acupuncture does the trick for you.
 
Looks like it's been 9 days since I put anything on my thread...mostly because I have nothing new to report...still have to fight with everything I have and can't get past a painful 115 degrees. Probably I am most the time at 110 degrees and that extra 5 I get in Physical Therapy is extremely hard. I've taken one 7.5 Hydocodone and 1 muscle relaxer before Physical Therapy for about a week now, it's does not help a bit.

Yesterday evening I went for the very first time to a hot yoga class. Hot in that they heat the room to 96 degrees. I've been told that with the heat and all the stretching might be helpful with gaining ROM. Has anyone else had any experience with this? I did start class with a very tight leg in addition to a stiff knee. After a bit when I was sweating buckets and doing the moves it was helpful in getting the stiffness out and I could bend a bit better. I don't know if this will help in the long haul, but I signed up for an unlimited one month so I'll give it a chance.

Oh, and I've had more acupuncture this time in the calf, as I have a knot in my calf most always and I get calf pain in trying to bend my knee.
 
I'm a fan of a little heat therapy myself.... haven't done the hot yoga experience but what works for me is a hot gel-pack on my quads for the first few minutes on my daily exercycle ride. It definitely takes the work out of getting loosened up so I can put my heel down and get spinning. And I'm still plagued with a little bit of knotty calf and pain on flexion in the early mornings too, so I've been doing some of that acupressure massage on it with good results. .... which sounds like something your multi-talented PT could help with! :SUNsmile:
Cheers, Al
 
Looks like it's been 9 days since I put anything on my thread...mostly because I have nothing new to report...still have to fight with everything I have and can't get past a painful 115 degrees. Probably I am most the time at 110 degrees and that extra 5 I get in Physical Therapy is extremely hard. I've taken one 7.5 Hydocodone and 1 muscle relaxer before Physical Therapy for about a week now, it's does not help a bit.

Hi Bonnie!
You've done well so far. You aren't pushing it too hard in PT, are you?

I hope the yoga and the acupuncture help.
:flwrysmile:
 
Bonnie,
Just my opinion, you need a vacation from thinking about ROM.
Look at all you have gained, and you focus on ROM. It's like the chinese finger cuffs, the harder you pull the tighter it gets, back off and it comes right off.
Just my 2 cents.
 
Hi Bonnie!
You've done well so far. You aren't pushing it too hard in PT, are you?

I hope the yoga and the acupuncture help. :flwrysmile:

Hi Caryl, no I am really not overdoing in Physical Therapy. My PT is so careful to make sure that I 'don't' do anything to the point of pain. On Monday's we do mostly muscle strengthening, Wednesday we work on ROM exercises. Thursday he does soft tissue work, massage, working on knots, stretching and lately acupuncture, then a bit of ROM (wall slides) then ride the bike for 10 minutes and after that a bit of strengthening. Each day is different, if I ask to do more, he says no.

My daughter and I will do hot yoga again later today.
 
Hi Caryl, no I am really not overdoing in Physical Therapy. My PT is so careful to make sure that I 'don't' do anything to the point of pain.

OK, Bonnie. Just checking! The voice of caution, don't you know?
 
I've been told that with the heat and all the stretching might be helpful with gaining ROM. Has anyone else had any experience with this?
While I do not do yoga. I have had great success with stretching my quads and hamstrings while in a whirlpool.

I let the legs warm up, and then do quad stretches and hamstring stretches. I would ice both afterwards. I let the jets directly hit the tight areas.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom