Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Wow Bonnie, sounds like a great start to your weekend! Not sure what I would be more excited about : the bed or the pool! ;-) Happy birthday!
 
I got on my bike today twice, albeit indoors. At first I could not even begin to make a rotation but I persisted rocking back and forth stretching to the point of discomfort, not pain until finally I could do it...slowly and calculated. Frontwards and backwards. My PT has always told me don't try to get ROM on the bike, get ROM first then ride the bike so I have not been peddling at home but few and far between, just saving it for Physical Therapy. But after today I decided that I am going to do this everyday at least a couple of times. My knee was really stiff today and being on the bike really helped, I could walk much better afterwards. He may know more than me about rehab but I know how my knee feels and it felt better afterwards. I'm making the call on this, I'm going to make myself peddle a couple of times everyday.
 
wow, Bonnie, congratulations! I know for me, the bike pedaling feels wonderful. I feel really loose afterwards, too. My game plan is also getting on my bike and simply pedaling a couple of times each day. I can feel it precisely in the quad muscles where I need it, too.

And, sometimes, we've just GOT to listen to ourselves on things. You go, girl! :yay:
 
My knee was really stiff today and being on the bike really helped

I makes a big difference for me too.... it gets my joints & muscles warmed up first thing in the morning when my knee is stiff from inactivity.... I have the seat way down now so to start with I have my foot way forward on the pedal with my toes pointed down and just rock back and forth at the top of the stroke to stretch a bit. After a minute or so of that I can start pedalling backwards, then transition to forwards shortly after that. When I've done a couple minutes of going forwards I feel loosened up enough to gradually shift my foot further back on the pedal and push my heel down to force a little more flexion... 10-15 minutes or so of rather relaxed cycling later (I have a coffee and an apple in there) I'm warmed up and good to go! So I suppose if conventional PT says I should be getting the flexion first before pushing it on the bike I'm doing it bass-ackwards but it works for me! :snork:


My game plan is also getting on my bike and simply pedaling a couple of times each day. I can feel it precisely in the quad muscles where I need it, too

Yeah, how can you go wrong when you're doing something that feels good! ... I think my exercycle has played a crucial role in my own recovery, and I really believe they're often under-rated as a rehab tool so I tout it and the big rubber ball as an alternative to "formal" PT :thumb:
Cheers, Al
 
I LOVE pedaling on my bike. I rock back and forth. I can feel it stretching and it feels soooo good. Hubs bought my bike 2 weeks ago and it was the best investment out!!!!!!!!!! Happy Belated Bday!!!! xoxox
 
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

I used one of these roller stands to get started. At first I had to point my toe to get a rotation. Also after I got comfortable with rotation I could lower the seat just a fraction to get a little resistance(not sure if that helped but it seems not to have hurt things). Everyone is a little different and that is what seemed to work for me. I was so relieved once I was able to get out on a level bike path for a mile or so and it kept improving from there. Post op walking was always more of a problem swelling and heat wise than biking. After 10 months I still have a little heat all the time but pain is gone.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

I used one of these roller stands to get started. At first I had to point my toe to get a rotation.

This is what I have too. My mountain bike is sitting on it. I got the trainer after my first TKR and had my road bike on it. Later on I got the mountain bike too and I used to be able to ride it up and down and curving around on dirt trails. That was one year ago...Last I rode my rode bike was on a 42 mile VERY hilly charity ride that was 18 months ago. As soon as I can ride outside I am taking the mountain bike out and yes it will be an even asphalt, then I'll put my road bike on the trainer so I can pedal inside the house still and outside. No road bike (with pencil thin tires and leaning forward to ride) outside until I am very good at riding again.
 
Today at Physical Therapy I got my best ROM yet! :yay: It was 116 and teetering on 117. For 15 weeks and 2 days post op I know that's not great but I will take it. What did I do different? I actually took one pain pill before I went. I just thought I'd give it a try...not that it takes away the discomfort of bending my knee past my comfort zone but more than anything else I think it made me relax enough that I didn't tense up as much when I got to the point of discomfort. Oh...and last night was the first night to sleep on my new Tempurpedic mattress where I can elevate my knee above my heart while I sleep...maybe that helped too, I don't know but I was happy to get to 116 today.:rotfl:
 
15 weeks and 2 days post op I know that's not great but I will take it

Oh so are we to give you a C- or what? Maybe we should think of our knees as our children instead of as extensions of our sense of inadequacy!! Anyhow, it's celebration time with, what, 116.5? I bet you get 130 by the end of the year. Sweet success. Time to break out the margaritas.
 
Man !! I missed the pizza party. Oh well. A new bed and a back yard pool . Talk about shopping therapy . It does feel great. I bought 2 pair of shoes today . My OPT invited me to ride the bike there everyday if I wanted since I dont have one at home . They are impressed cause I havent missed a day in two weeks . Its a great barometer and very challenging and frustrating. Especially when a 70 year old broad 3 weeks post op crushes my wimpy back and forth pedals. Some people have , some dont . Regardless ita great therapy. I also bend my knee on a stair at my house , all the time . I just bend back and forth . Rocking slowly . That really helps to . Because I notice increases however slight. Bonnie , we are in this together and will extend virtual encouragement and hugs . I am sure you are very worried about scar tissue and it must be frustrating when we say , be patient and dont overdo it . I can be a very serious reality since it a revision you are dealing with . So I understand your concern . Just know we are here for you . Best wishes. Ivan
 
I guess we 'or at least me', are the hardest on ourselves. Any forward movement is good, but always striving to do better...not settling for second best but to be the best we can be. No don't give me a C- but an A+ for effort and drive! :thumb:
 
Bonnie , we are in this together and will extend virtual encouragement and hugs . I am sure you are very worried about scar tissue and it must be frustrating when we say , be patient and dont overdo it . I can be a very serious reality since it a revision you are dealing with . So I understand your concern . Just know we are here for you . Best wishes. Ivan

Thank you so much :thankyou: @icep707 Ivan for your words of encouragement. Yes I do worry about scar tissue because I had it so bad before, having to have it surgically removed. So when I'm not getting good ROM the little voice in my head questions...am I growing scar tissue again? If I can keep moving forward little by little I'll be ok, I will just never give up and settle for less than I need to have to live an active fit life.
 
I understand Bonnie. Thats why im at pt everyday like a kid at a candy store or a pet shop. I work at it like a job . Its great at pt . Its like CHEERS. Everybody knows your name and your always glad you came.
 
I understand Bonnie. Thats why im at pt everyday like a kid at a candy store or a pet shop. I work at it like a job . Its great at pt . Its like CHEERS. Everybody knows your name and your always glad you came.

I could have not said that better myself @icep707. It is just like Cheers!! It's a social event as well as a job that pays great rewards. You and I are two of the lucky ones that we've had a great Physical Therapy experience and love going. Matter of fact I am going back tomorrow and plan on doing well again, always walk in thinking positive thoughts.

Oh yeah...when the pool is done, you are all invited! A little water therapy will be good for all of us. Time for sleep now, on that new great bed...maybe not toes above nose but knee above heart! Goodnight all :sleep:
 
Some of you might remember that after my revision that my doctor stated in his paper work that pain meds would not be prescribed after one month and I was freaked out that I'd need them and they would not refill them. When actually every RX that I asked for I was given. The last pain pill refill I received was late December 2013 and of those I have 9 left of 10mg Hydocodone. Yesterday I told you how I took one before going to Physical Therapy and had my best ROM yet. So last night I just decided...I am going to ask for a refill even though I am 3 1/2 months post op. I figured all they could do was say no. I e-mailed last night and asked, telling how I did so much better at Physical Therapy after taking one, that I just wanted the RX refill to help me be successful in working on my ROM...
I figured that they would say 'NO' after all this time but much to my surprise this morning I had an e-mail telling me that they were refilling my RX. I was surprised and quite happy. So just one on Physical Therapy days an hour before I go. I think they come off seeming stingy with pain meds but probably take each case one by one as needed. I'm hoping that this will continue to help me. I love my new doctor and his PA!!
 
Very good results with your decision to ask about the Rx! Agree, your limited use of the meds was probably taken into consideration. Just be careful not to over do in PT after taking the Rx.......
 
My OS's office has said the same thing, my primary said she would handle my pain meds if needed.
Great to hear you are being treated like an individual, and your medication needs are being met.
Pain can bring on more edema, and more edema brings on decreased ROM, the course you are taking makes all the sense in the world.
PS, can't wait to see photos of your new pool!
 
Bonnie, I'm so proud of your progress!!! You have been doing it just right this time by taking things slow and letting yourself heal gently. Now you're reaping the sweet rewards for all that patience. Go girl!!!! You're doing awesome!!!
 
Bonnie, I'm so proud of your progress!!! You have been doing it just right this time by taking things slow and letting yourself heal gently. Now you're reaping the sweet rewards for all that patience. Go girl!!!! You're doing awesome!!!

Thank you so much @Jamie that means a lot to me coming from you!
 
Great to hear you are being treated like an individual, and your medication needs are being met. Pain can bring on more edema, and more edema brings on decreased ROM, the course you are taking makes all the sense in the world. PS, can't wait to see photos of your new pool!
@Pumpkln Yes, it did make me feel very good, and you said it very well in that I am being treated as an individual not just as part of policy across the board. @amab You could very well be right that they know that I never did the pain meds when I had them. I have these few Hydocodone left and about 30 Tramadol 50mg and my revision was Dec. 2. I guess that says something about not abusing my meds.

Chris, I can take some progress pictures all the pool progresses. No digging yet because still waiting for approval from the water district and HOA but we should be on our way in early April. I remember when we put the pool at our other house, it was twice as big as the one we will get now and my back yard looked like a war zone for about a month. Looking at it makes you second guess your decision but it was all beautiful when it was done. I'll just have to look beyond the mess initially and and visualize the end result. My daughter got me a nice big think pink float for my birthday...can't wait to start floating!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom