Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Hi Bonnie, I am new to this forum and I have read some of your posts. I can't figure out how to start a new post so I thought I would reply to yours. I am a 43 year old man who has had much of the meniscus in both of my knees removed. My last surgery was about three years ago and in that time I have gained about 50 pounds because I can't run anymore and I am in pain a lot of the time. I ran for a little while after my surgeries but the pain got too great so I stopped running. Now I am at the point where it's painful to walk. I have an appt with my doctor tomorrow to talk about possible synviscone injections. I'm not sure if they will work to get me to the point where I can run again.

I have always been very athletic, playing three sports all through high and even playing college baseball and being drafted by a professional team. I miss the fact that I can't play sports or run anymore. I am too young to be totally inactive. How has your knee/s responded since your surgery and do you have any suggestions for me? If anyone else has advice for me please feel free to give your advice. Thanks, Nate
 
Welcome @redsoxfan, Fenway what a ball park!

Synvisic helps some people, but not all. If it works you will be able to be more active, not sure about running though, everyone is different.
You are too young to be sidelined by painful knees, and are in the right place for information and support.

I will tag a moderator for you, to help you with starting a new thread.
@Jamie @referee54

All the best in your search for answers to your painful knees,
 
@redsoxfan
I sent you a longer PM. Check your inbox.

You will get good advice on this forum especially in regards for making decisions about surgery, choosing a surgeon, and recovery from surgery.
 
Hi @redsoxfan I had the injections and they did nothing for me. Injections, Scope, TKR, Scope, Revision. It would be great if they worked for you but if not, don't sit on the sidelines and hurt, find a new doctor and a second opinion. The quality of life that you have now matters, get on the road to feeling good so you can be active. I settled too long with a bad TKR and I wish I would have got a second opinion sooner. At 43 years old, a doctor may tell you to wait till age 60. But for what? You need a quality of life now, there is no guarantee that we'll even be here 17 years from now. Time to start living again at age 43!
 
Hi @redsoxfan
I second what the others have said. Before my first knee replacement, my OS tried conservative methods, trying to get me to 60 before I had the operation. It just prolonged the pain, the loss of quality of life, and the deterioration of my muscles. If you need a knee replacement, age should not have anything to do with it.
 
@RunA42K
Hi Bonnie,
I've been away for a while and I'm just catching up again.
Good to see that you're still doing well! :):yay:
 
@redsoxfan
My two cents. I used to run daily. I know it is difficult to imagine a future without a daily run, but I would seriously consider leaving the running behind and instead plan to get your exercise in the future from cycle spinning at the gym, biking and or hill walking. All are low impact, can be just as habit forming and passion inspiring (as running) and while not as conveinient as running they can challenge you aerobically and will help with weight and health management (in your area x country skiing may also work). I also agree that waiting to solve your knee issues and not being able to enjoy life while waiting is probably not necessarily the best way to go. I think you are doing exactly the right thing in that you are talking to doctors and to the folks on Bone Smart so you can ultimately make a decision.
 
@RunA42K
Hi Bonnie,
I've been away for a while and I'm just catching up again.
Good to see that you're still doing well! :):yay:
Hi Caryl, I've missed you...where have you been? Away on vacation? Yes, I am still doing pretty good, still VERY happy that I had the revision. I have no pain to speak of, but I just wish that my ROM would increase a litter faster than it has. My doctor at 3 months check up said that he made my knee tight, to stabilize it which he said that ROM would be a bit harder but saw no reason why I couldn't be a functional 125. I'd be very happy with that! Today I am exactly 16 weeks post op.

So how are you doing anyway??
 
Hi Bonnie,
We've been to India (Delhi) for 4 weeks, to stay with our son and his family. He's working on an 18-month contract there. It was a year since we last saw them and our 2 grand-daughters (now aged 4 and 2) have grown up so much in that year. Lovely children! Am I biased? Of course.

Then we went to Australia (Sydney) to stay with my brother and sis-in-law, and to see all their family. All good family time.

Air pollution in Delhi was bad, and India makes no concessions for people with handicaps. My TKR knee behaved perfectly, but the other knee did not like the uneven steps and street surfaces. I was back to climbing and descending stairs one step at a time, like a toddler, and the knee hurt more.

Since my OS has told me he will replace that knee when I feel ready (it's been bone-on-bone for quite a while), I'll be going back to see him soon. However, there is a timing complication. While we were traveling, our daughter and son-in-law in the UK have been appointed as Special Guardians for a little 16-month-old girl. We'd like to go to visit them for a couple of months, to meet our new grand-daughter.

We're hoping to go from mid-June to mid-August, which would not give sufficient time for recovery if I get the knee done in the next month - only 8 to 10 weeks. I think that would be too soon to do long-distance air travel. So, I'm hoping to hold off the TKR until September. Of course, I'll take my OS's advice, but those are my current thoughts.
 
Not exactly ready for the great outdoors yet, but I'll get there! Me today...
 
This one shows up a little better because I turned on the light! I actually peddled a little better in this one...need to get warmed up. I am going to show my knee each day that this is the new normal and push from there!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to take this bike outside, hop on it and shoot down the driveway and ride...I know that early summer I'll be able to do that. My knee needs to get used to the new normal...pedal everyday!
 
Pretty cool, Bonnie!!!! Go, girl!!!
 
I am getting so discouraged...I don't know why I am having so much trouble bending my knee. I just don't know what I have to do to get more ROM that I've been stuck with. 116 on my very best day a week ago and now struggle with everything ounce of strength that I have today to get to, 111, 112, 113 and that's it. It just won't bend. I did take a prescribed pain pill my last two visits, Monday then today. I was so disappointed today with no progress if I would have let myself go I would have started crying then felt like crying all the way home.

I worry about the scar tissue growing since I had it so bad after my original TKR. If it's is scar tissue preventing me from gaining ROM then how long should one wait before getting worried about it? How far past your TKR can you have a MUA?

Next visit I think I will take a muscle relaxer and a pain pill...I don't know what else I can do. Yes my revision is still 100 times better than my original TKR, I do not have pain anymore...unless I try to bend past 111 degrees.

Help....
 
Bonnie,
I remember your revisionist said he made your replacment tighter, maybe this is what is limiting you?
You are doing so great otherwise, you seem to be focusing too much on the ROM numbers.

For your bike you can always get a 165cm crank arm to go all the way around, yours is 175cm. Bike mfgs use 175 for everyone, childrens bikes, and all adult bikes to save money. I remember when bikes had different sized crank arms, depending on the size of the bike and who would be using the bike. Something to think about.

As for a MUA, I think you can have one a year or more later, there is no window of opportunity.

Get into a warm water pool, I found that helps my ROM more than anything else.

Relax (easy for me to say), you are doing great!!!!
 
@Pumpkln We got got word today that our pool is approved by the HOA. In a month or so, I'll have my own pool...I wish I had it now, I know that it helps with ROM. Monday I was exactly 16 weeks = 4 months...that's why I am getting worried.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So happy to hear your pool is approved, and soon you will be able to swim when ever you want.:happydance:
Did the OS say what he expected for your ROM?
I would call the office and ask about your ROM and if he is concerned about scar tissue.
For what it is worth, I was 113 at 4 month and am now 125.
 
So happy to hear your pool is approved, and soon you will be able to swim when ever you want.:happydance:
Did the OS say what he expected for your ROM?
I would call the office and ask about your ROM and if he is concerned about scar tissue.
For what it is worth, I was 113 at 4 month and am now 125.
@Pumpkln When I saw my OS at 3 months post op he indicated I should gain ROM to 125. My actual knee is capable of 135, but 125 would be great and would allow me to do most anything I want. If you were at 113 at 4 months that makes me feel better although I know we should not compare. With my first TKR I achieved 135 at 6 1/2 months (but then started losing it).

Since my OS called in those pain pills for me last week, I guess I should just use them and try for a few more weeks before calling. Otherwise they would ask me if I had used the pain pills to help with ROM. I just feel like I am way behind but what bothers me most is that after several weeks of progression, I am just stuck.

The past two days I have worn compression length capris. Medical grade compression, hoping it would help with swelling in the knee and keeping the quad warm and flexible. We sell them at the store $100 and even with my discount over $70 I spent. I have thrown so much money at this knee the past 4 years. Wish I had even 1/2 of that now and I'd feel rich!! So far the jury is still out as to if they are helping or not. We'll be warming up into the 80's the next several days here in Houston and warmer weather always helps too.
 
Back
Top Bottom