Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

I'm thinking and praying for you and Dave as you go through this stormy passage - for strength and comfort and hope for you and for complete recovery for Dave.
 
Just a quick update. Last night about 10 pm Dave started feeling like he was short of breath. His breaths per minute were up. He had that anxious, scared, declining look to him again. He was examined by a doctor almost instantly. He had a chest X-ray of the lungs looking for a blockage or blood clot and a EKG. He slept the night (if you can call it sleeping) hooked up to a machine called a Bipap which with a mask forces air into the lungs (but not the ventilator again). I slept in a chair (if you can call that sleeping). Then 6 am I must leave ICU and so I got on the road before morning traffic was too bad. I will return to hospital in several hours, I have no idea what today will bring!
 
Bonnie,This process is such a roller coaster ride. It really feels like dejavu for me with my first husband. The breathing was his toughest part. He was given a tracheostomy early on, but remained vented for 3 months.he became psychologically dependent on it. I slept in his room the night they took him off, it worked. But he kept the trach without oxygen for awhile, then one day, poof , they took it out. It can be scary for your husband to feel like he can't breath because of being on the vent.
I am with you on this ride. Stay strong, keep track of all they do, because he can't. I actally kept a journal of his 6 month stay, because I could show him down the road what happened. It just is really scary not knowing what each day will bring. I am keeping Dave in my prayers as well. Are you still running with your daughter during change of shift?
 
Thank you so much Megan, I know that you truly understand. I was told that there could be bumps along the road and last night was the first. No I am not running with my daughter, she teaches school all day, that was a weekend plan. I am doing absolutely nothing, too drained of sleep and driving across the city in some of the worst traffic ever...that is what you get in Houston. With luck I can go to PT tomorrow morning. I just woke up from a 3 hour nap and need to get ready to drive to the hospital again! On a good note...from giving blood Feb , 23', I found out I am O+ (I never knew) and my cholesterol is 164! I think I can donate Platelets now, I will check today!
 
Bonnie, hope Dave is going better. Anyway you have our support, even from Spain.:prayer1:

I would love to visit Spain one day! Been to the UK and loved it!
 
Hi Bonnie, sounds like it'll be two steps forward, one step back for a while. I pray for you both.

I wonder whether you giving blood etc is such a good idea at the moment. I know its you're way of giving back something that Dave has used, but I wonder if it could weaken you and make you more tired during these stressful times.

Take care.
 
Day 25... Dave is off the breathing machine but will have a CT scan of his lungs shortly to make sure no blood clot last night. They are making arrangements so I can bring our two dogs Lucy and Gracie to come and see him right here in ICU (soon) to help make him happy. — at St Luke's Episcopal Hospital.

Two blood clots showed up in the lungs with the CT Scan. At least now we know a big reason for the breathing problems. IV meds to help with that. Longer stay in ICU now. I am spending the night in the chair here again.
 
Oh Bonnie, thats so special being able to get the dogs into ICU. Take care of yourself. Prayers, lots of, coming your way.
 
I'm so thankful the hospital is vigilant. It sure sounds like they are doing a wonderful job and I hope the clots are resolved soon. At least that's something that is treatable!

Sorry you get the uncomfortable chair for a bed again. But I know how you feel from when my hubby has been in the hospital. No one cares for him like you do and you want to be close by. Hang in there, hon. Each day brings you one day closer to his recovery.

I am REALLY impressed that the hospital would be able to arrange to bring dogs in! And in ICU? How do they do that? If it will help, I'm all for it, though.
 
Bonnie, thank god they found the reason for his steps backwards. Makes sense. Hope he's doing better with the blood thinners!! Take care!!
 
Thinking of you and Dave daily Bonnie. Hope things are easing for you both. I am sure the doggie visit will be great therapy for Dave. Hang in there!
 
Hi Bonnie, I'm looking forward to your next report that will hopefully include the two little guys that visited their daddy in ICU. :doggieshmooze::doggieshmooze:Hope you aren't too exhausted from sleeping in the chair. I think about the night you and your daughter walked to supper and how you had a brief jog to clear your mind and I pray that soon you and your husband will get into a rhythm of normalcy.
 
Bonnie you are sure going through an emotional ringer. That is awesome that the hospital is going to allow your dogs to visit. Continued prayers for both you and Dave.
 
Bonnie, how lovely you can take your dogs to see Dave, I'm sure Dave will appreciate that. Thinking of you both xxx
 
I woke up thinking about you this morning, Bonnie, and I'm hoping things are going okay.
 
Hello friends, I am happy to report that Dave has had a good day. Finding the blood clots in his lungs was a huge help and then last night they drained about 1 liter of fluid from his lungs as well. That was the second time for the draining in about a week, and it makes a big difference. His talking is considerably better each day since the vent tube came out. He will have speech therapy, have to be taught how to swallow again, physical therapy and occupational therapy once he is able to get on down the road a bit. He has not stood up since February 12. His spirits are higher now and the doggie visit is all set up for Saturday morning at 11:00 a.m., he is very excited as he has not seen his four legged babies for about one month now.

Thank you all for your continued good thoughts and prayers. They are working! Since he has been awake most all week now, I have spent the last 3 nights overnight in ICU in the chair...oh I am tired but with waking after sleeping nearly a month, being in a strange place with strange faces, my face is his only reassurance that he has so I do what I need to do to make him feel better.

Once he is spending more of his day doing this own recovery.therapy I sure need to get on mine. I am not a year post op yet, but I have lost so much ROM and find myself walking with a bent knee. I have a lot of work to do and am not sure the best way to go about it. Do you think a trip to the OS first? I would need a one year check anyway...or just go to PT and see what they say. I would say I have lost all the way back to 110 degrees from 137. Back to difficulty going down stairs and putting on my socks and shoes.

Dave would be the very first one to tell me to get back and take care of myself, but he was close to death and I need to think of him first. At least I am not in pain and I can get around...right now he can't even sit up in bed let alone walk.

Jamie I think it would se safe to do that dance in those Ruby Slippers now! I love you all, you make me feel good everyday that I check in. Carossel, I love your 5K pic! Good job. I will catch up with all of you soon I promise, I know I have missed a lot and I apologize I have not been able to give back all of the help that I received with my TKR when I needed it the most, to all of you, but I will make up for lost time...I promise!

Dog visit report coming up tomorrow. 11:00 a.m. Central time Saturday is the day! Woo wee this will be great! The entire ICU floor staff is excited too!

xoxoxoxoxoox
 
Bonnie,
I am so happy to read that things are looking up for Dave. What an ordeal this has been for all of you--but what a love story too! Inspiring...and the prayers of so many across the globe being answered--God is good in every circumstance!

As for you and your lost ROM. I know that must be discouraging, but I can't help but think that if you were at 137 a month ago--that with some work you will be there again. You know it's not scar tissue but lack of movement that has set you back. So I would think you will be able to regain that again. You know the stretches. Set your cell phone alarm for every hour so that you remember to do them throughout the day. That's what I do, otherwise I would forget about stretching throughout the day.

I can't wait for the post where you say that you both are at home and able to sleep a full night in your own bed! Take care of yourself, my friend, so that you will have all that you need to care of Dave. Thinking of you every day. Niki
 
Back
Top Bottom