Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Today my knee is 10 months old. I realize that there are members on this site who need much more help than me. I've been there and now it is time for me to help others as much as I can, to give back what was so caring and compassionately given to me. But with that being said, I do have a question for those of you who are much further ahead of me...

It is the cold! Now granted I live in South Texas and by UK and Northern US standards one would think that it is pretty warm here. But it is all relative as to what we are used to.

Even though I am pain free from my TKR now, the cold bothers my knee so much. A very uncomfortable stiff feeling that almost hurts to bend. Like when your fingers or feet are so cold and stiff. I wonder if you can tell me if the cold gets better over time or if this is something that I'll have to tolerate each winter? I know some of you ski, live in New Jersey, Minnesota, Montana, and Ohio, much much colder than Texas, how do you cope with your TKR and the cold? :what::what::what:
 
Hey Bonnie! I know you asked me in a post somewhere where I live in Texas. I'm in Dallas. And yes, it can get pretty cold here! I haven't noticed the cold really bothering my knee, but I think the rainy weather seems to make it ache.

By the way, my Zensah sleeve has shipped. Can't wait for it to get here! I so appreciate you sharing that on a thread somewhere! I'm looking forward to trying it. :biggrin:
Niki
 
Hey Bonnie! I know you asked me in a post somewhere where I live in Texas. I'm in Dallas. And yes, it can get pretty cold here! I haven't noticed the cold really bothering my knee, but I think the rainy weather seems to make it ache.

By the way, my Zensah sleeve has shipped. Can't wait for it to get here! I so appreciate you sharing that on a thread somewhere! I'm looking forward to trying it. :biggrin:
Niki

Hi Niki, Yes, Dallas is much colder than Houston! I ran the Dallas White Rock Marathon one year in December and enjoyed it very much! I am surprised that you are not feeling the cold in your knee, but maybe that is something that sets in when you are further along into recovery?

I am glad that you are getting the Zensah knee sleeve, I love wearing mine, my knee always feels much better with in on and warmer too! I hope that you will like it too. I may not need it much when our Texas heat sets back in, after last summers drought and heat wave I didn't imagine that I'd be hoping for warmer weather again!

Enjoy your day!!:doggieshmooze:
 
Bonnie, I am in NJ and the cold doesn't not affect my TRK knee, it effects my whole body! :th_heehee: I don't like being cold and when I am cold it takes me forever to be warm. I would love to live somewhere where it is warm all year round. Seriously though, I have not seen a difference between my old knee and my newly replaced knee in terms of the cold affecting it.
 
Bonnie, I am in NJ and the cold doesn't not affect my TRK knee, it effects my whole body! :th_heehee: I don't like being cold and when I am cold it takes me forever to be warm. I would love to live somewhere where it is warm all year round. Seriously though, I have not seen a difference between my old knee and my newly replaced knee in terms of the cold affecting it.

You are very lucky then, because the cold bothers my knee so much! My real knee is fine in the cold, but the TKR stiffens up so much when it is cold that it hurts to bend. If I warm it up with either a heating pad or gel pack that I microwave it feels so much better but once the heat is removed it is back to being cold and stiff again. I am ready for summer...even though we've not had any below freezing weather here so far.
. :yay::yes 4::dancy: I'll jump around to get warm!
 
I got my Houston Marathon race pictures in the mail yesterday! You can see how happy I am to cross the finish line of my 'FIRST' 1/2 marathon SINCE...RTKR! I am in the black with the TKR on my shirt and the girl in the blue with me is my long time friend Tricia! What a happy day that was for me 9 1/2 months post op running 13.1 miles! :thumb::dancy::yay::yahoo::hysterical:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
    Houston half marathon1-15-12.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 260
  • [Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
    Houston half marathon 1-15-12#2.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 255
  • [Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
    Houston half marathon1-15-12#3.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 260
  • [Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
    Houston half marathon 1-15-12#4.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 249
I think that is most fantastic! Great job! You are a motivator! Thanks so much! :thumb:
 
Bonnie I work in a cold OR. My knee gets stiff in achy when its cold. I'm ready for warm weather too. Sometimes when a strong weather front blows in my knee aches too.

Donna
 
Living near Lake Erie (or is it EERY?), it can get pretty cold here---and it can stay that way for quite some time. My baseball umpiring season begins at the end of March and last year one game-time temp was 35*.

For some reason, my knees have never been bothered by the cold.I guess I am lucky in that regard. I also work on a farm, and, in the fall, with have a Pumpkin Festival. Some days again are rather chilly, but my knees are no worse for wear.

I will say that one thing that I wear are McDavid under garments---not unlike hi-tec running tights---under my officiating uniform. They keep me warm in cold weather and cool in hot weather.

BTW---thanks for sharing the pics---those are awesome!
 
I'm not sure which is worse for me, the cold in my knee or in my back. While it takes longer for the cold in my knee to become uncomfortable than it does for my back, it doesn't take long for it to warm back up. My back on the other hand, stays cold for a while...
 
That really is too bad Roger that now you have to worry with how your back is feeling as well as your knee. That was something that you never counted on when you have your TKR! Some people just are handed a little too much at times!

I mentioned before that I take Mobic for my knee but at the same time it helps my back so much. Although my back problems are not any where near what you've had to deal with I do have significant arthritis in my back. All this time having knee problems and taking Mobic it helps my back too. Guess I will have to get a different plan when my knee doc says no more Mobic!

You said that you work in the desert. Is it a desert that is warm during the Spring and Summer months? If so that may help you when it is warm again. That is what I am waiting for...the good old Texas heat again! :dancy::yes 4:
 
Only one word Bonnie: AWESOME!

As for the cold weather, I report that my Mom is having stiffness and a little pain these days, and it's almost a year!
 
Thanks so much Pilar and Catherine...your words mean a lot to me for sure! I've been taking it easy since my 1/2 marathon, have not been running once! Oh, I have run up and down my driveway to the mailbox, or run from the rain, but mostly I've been weight training and stationary cycling, but...Thursday I plan on going for a run! I've had a lot to do lately with work and a sick husband and a student that I mentor, but if all goes well I plan on a run Thursday morning.

I will be experimenting with my gait/stride in a totally different kind of running shoe. A Newton as in www.newtonrunning.com I've been doing a lot of research and yes we do sell that shoe at my store but it has you running on your forefoot then a slight touch of the heel then back to the forefoot again. If the technique is done right there is no stress to the knee joint but the muscles and ligaments do the work! I expect to have sore calves but that is ok, I will get over it.

Been icing and elevating tonight. Had 4 long days on my feet working and then a tough workout this afternoon for 2 hours with a lot of quad and hamstring work strengthening. Yes I am sorry to say that at 10 months post op my knee is nice and stiff and somewhat swollen. Ice and my wedge pillow are still my best friend after all this time! I am getting up my nerve to drive out to meet up with a group ride of 20+ miles on Saturday morning...I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...maybe if I keep saying it I will believe it! :yes 4::yes 4:
 
Hi Bonnie

Great pictures of your big achievement - you look so happy (and you should be!). You certainly are a woman with incredible drive - keep up the good work!
 
Hi Bonnie

Great pictures of your big achievement - you look so happy (and you should be!). You certainly are a woman with incredible drive - keep up the good work!

Thank you so much Jo! I was indeed very happy! We are all too young to surrender to this surgery and new knee (s). Running is not for everyone, and even I know I can't run like I used to anymore, but we can be as active as we want to be. I always pride myself on being the 'exception' not the rule! Too much life left to live and I want to be happy doing it!

The icing helped last night, I came right down the stairs this morning just like a person who has two good 'real' knees!

As always my best to you in your recovery, I think that you are doing just great and so encouraging to everyone else while you are going though your own journey with TKR. I think you are awesome! :yes 4::doggieshmooze::yes 4::doggieshmooze:
 
Sitting here in a hospital ER with my husband for the last 5 hours. He is in a great amount of pain. Morphine and Dilauid used for pain, waiting on results of his CT Scan. Please keep him in your prayers for me please.:doggieshmooze:
 
Oh Bonnie I do hope everything will work out for your husband, I am sending you both all my positive thoughts xxx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom