Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Awesome, Bonnie! Just awesome!
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

I just love reading the story of your 1/2 marathon



AGREED reading what Bonnie is done makes me want to get out there MOVE. - the R knee has been fussier than the first one, seems to "swell" easier than the first one did (or at least that is how I remember it) and I'm having "some" foot issues so I'm have not pushed the walking here in the last week or so, but I'm pushing it on the bike instead.
Next Friday night I'm walking a 5 K at Disney land - ready or not I will make it! I'm not even "that" worried about it. I'm going to walk on my Treadmill tonight and see how it feels - I had minor surgery on a toe a week ago and I should be ready to walk again.

That is wonderful Catherine!! Walking a 5K at Disneyland!!! What fun. That is just what I did first was walk a 5K. I wanted so bad to break out into a run, but I knew that it was too soon and i just made myself walk.

I didn't do too much running before my half marathon, a few 5 mile runs, a 7 and a 6 mile run, but lots of bike riding and walking and strength training as well. It all comes together when we need it.

You will feel so awesome to be in he big mass of humanity at the start of your 5K, it just feels so great to be out there and be active and happy to do normal things once again!

Have fun and OF COURSE you can do it!! :thumb:
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Excellent. Seeing the smiles is one more thing I look forward to after the surgery. You have come a long way and to be running in races is so awesome.

Thank you Helix! That is all I want for the rest of you too, big smiles doing the things that make you happy! :hysterical:
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Tomorrow the 22nd will be one week since I ran my 1/2 marathon, I've been nice to my knee all week, but tomorrow I plan to just go out walking. I don't want to put anymore stress on it too soon, so walking is all I will do. One thing I had not mentioned that some of you may find to be true as well, is that after having my RTKR my gait has changed. I now pronate with my right foot. Working in a running specialty store I know all about shoes for different foot types, and since last Sunday's 1/2 marathon I have bought new Asics shoes that have what is called stability in them. They keep the ankle from rolling inward (pronation). When I ran my race last weekend, I wore the same model of shoe that I had always run my marathons in, but they are noticeably worn to show that my gait was off, and I felt it too. I am anxious to run again and see how these new shoes work for me and my new gait, but I am going to wait another week for running because I don't want to put any stress on my new knee too soon! I hope you all are having a wonderful weekend! :dancy:
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

You're one sensible lady, Bonnie! :thumb:
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Great idea, taking it easy. I used to never worry much about shoes. But you may recall I looked at different shoes this past year. I was looking at a couple different minimalist shoes and change from a heel strike to midfoot strike. I am curious, have you changed how you run?
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Great idea, taking it easy. I used to never worry much about shoes. But you may recall I looked at different shoes this past year. I was looking at a couple different minimalist shoes and change from a heel strike to midfoot strike. I am curious, have you changed how you run?

Roger, I do run differently. I watched the finish line video of me and I defiantly pronate now with my TKR foot/leg. The tricky part is, I don't pronate with my left so I have to wear a shoe that will minimize the pronation on the right but not so much stability added to the shoe that my left foot would protest. I do think I have found the right one now in the Asics 2170. We sell all of the minimalist shoes in our store ranging from the Vibram Five Fingers to the New Balance Minimus, to Brooks Pure line with a 4mm heel drop or the Newton. All of those shoes are meant to get you up on your forefoot or toes. Only problem with that is, it will put more stress on the knee. My PT has told me and I know this to be true, I am better off heel striking wearing a traditional 12mm heel running shoes with as much cushion as possible. That way the shock will go up the leg starting at the ankle instead of starting at the knee the knee. What are you running in? :what:
 
Re: On the Other Side and Running 1/2 Marathons Again!

Title is changed Bonnie!:thumb:
 
Re: On the Other Side and Running 1/2 Marathons Again!

Bonnie, I've read through your thread this morning & found it to be both inspirational & informational. Slow & easy is better than pushing it which I have a tendency to do. I'm going to mix my training/exercise up a bit so that I too can have a stronger knee.

Excellent post Bonnie, keep up the good work!
 
Re: On the Other Side and Running 1/2 Marathons Again!

Bonnie, I've read through your thread this morning & found it to be both inspirational & informational. Slow & easy is better than pushing it which I have a tendency to do. I'm going to mix my training/exercise up a bit so that I too can have a stronger knee.

Excellent post Bonnie, keep up the good work!

Hi Gardengirl! I've not seen you here for a while, but then I was gone for a while myself, but now I am home again on Bonesmart.

Yes slow and easy is the best way and I had to learn that the hard way. Push too hard taking two steps forward and end up 3 taking steps back and with a swollen painful knee and pes anserine tendinitis a number of times early on. I am happy that you found some inspiration in my thread, it has been a long journey that is not over yet but I am well on my way. I wish for you and everyone else to have great success!! :yes 4:
 
Re: On the Other Side and Running 1/2 Marathons Again!

Bonnie I just read through your thread this morning and your 1/2 marathon brought tears to my eyes. Congratulations on your achievement! You are a true inspiration.

I'm still battling my arthrofibrosis and swelling. My doc does not want me to push my knee so much that it swells so as not to cause more inflammation and swelling that could leads to more scar tissue. My job is very active and physical so I have to give the knee a break when I get home. So really I do get a lot of walking in at work and lifting and pushing of equipment, stretchers, instrument trays that can weigh 40 pounds.

I noticed this weekend my knee was bending easier on the steps. Last week I did some short level one sessions on my recumbent bike. You give me hope that more excersize is possible with patience and incremental training.

Thanks for sharing!!

Donna
 
Lot's of talk today on Englander's thread about running. I don't want to tie up her thread anymore so I am bringing it back here to my own thread.

I saw my OS on January 4, 2012. I had not told him that I had been running, but told him all about the two bike falls. That hurt me more than running ever did. He took new X-rays of my knee that day and his words were, "Perfect, solidly in place, bone grown well around it." Then he said," it is very hard to hurt your new knee, it would take a tragic, traumatic accident to hurt it, I wouldn't worry about it at all." That was all I needed, new X-rays after running a number of times on it, and the bike fall and he says my knee is perfect, right then I told myself, 'Yes! I am running the Houston 1/2 Marathon in 11 days."

So yes as you know I did run it. I had fun, I felt wonderful, I was so happy once again. I finished and I met all of my goals. It was something that I had to prove to myself, that I could do it and I did!

I know that if I want to continue to run, then I can't run all of the time. I need to run to keep my running muscles tuned up, but mostly I will cross train on the bike, at the gym and swimming. I will save my running and training for the races that I truly care about doing. No running junk miles, just for the sake of running!

I did a lot about of reading on the subject before and after surgery. I found and befriended two people who have been running marathons on a TKR and one celebrity runner Dick Beardsley who has bi lateral TKR's and runs a 1/2 marathon every weekend! I received advice and encouragement from both of them. I talked to my PT at length about running, and he says that although running is not recommended it can be done. He said that he knew that I would do it anyway, so lets get you strong in all the right places to have the muscles in your legs do the work and take the stress off of the knee. And that is what we have been doing 3 days a week for sometime now. I can single leg press 80 pounds with my TKR leg now, I can double leg press 120 pounds. I can even bench press 50 pounds now with my arms!

I have talk to my PT many times about running form whether to run on toes or not and I am always told that being up on my toes puts more stress on the knee. As he explained it today, if you are running FAST, you do spend more time on your toes naturally, the turn around time is so quick. But one cannot continue to run a FAST pace indefinitely and a slower pace on toes will put more stress on the knee. Yes, when one strikes the heel you get shock going up your leg from the foot, to ankle, to calf to knee, but instead of going straight to the knee (on your toes running) the shock does have some travel time before it gets to the knee. That is where the best cushioned, shock absorbing shoes come in to play. You can short change yourself on shoes. Buy the best to protect yourself.

Today I did a 2 hour 15 minute work out at PT. Treadmill (walking at an incline to warm up) then short arc leg raises with 7 pound ankle weight on TKR leg 5 pounds on good leg. Leg press, backward lunges with one foot on a foam pad for strength and balance. Squats with 25 pound barbell across the shoulders, 45 calf raises on each leg. One leg standing on a foam pad while bending forward holding a medicine ball. Like my PT said today, I have given them the one year warning...get strong and next January run the full Houston Marathon 26.2 miles! That is my next goad. So I will not be out logging long miles right away, I will run some and work hard at being strong, and balanced. I want to be the best that I can be. Running or not!

My girl friends husband had a TKR. He was never a runner, but he rode bikes. His doctor told him to continue to do anything that he did prior TKR like biking, but if you were never a runner, don't take up running. Just like Josephine said in Englanders post, if your were not a skier before TKR then don't take up skiing. I was a runner before TKR and I still want to run. I will, I will run smart and in moderation. I hope that any of you reading this will have the strength and courage to at least try to go back to what you love. You will never know until you try. Good luck!:yay:
 
I saw my OS on January 4, 2012. I had not told him that I had been running, but told him all about the two bike falls. He took new X-rays of my knee that day and his words were, "Perfect, solidly in place, bone grown well around it." Then he said," it is very hard to hurt your new knee, it would take a tragic, traumatic accident to hurt it, I wouldn't worry about it at all."
Just what I've always been saying! Shear forces are much more of a risk but even then not by much.
 
Just what I've always been saying! Shear forces are much more of a risk but even then not by much.

Amen Josephine! As always you know as much as the Doc! :thumb:
 
I had a customer in the store today that I talked to in great length. She looked just like me one year ago. Wearing that cumbersome leg brace, no cartilage in her knee, walking around in pain. She had had the fluid shots and now they've worn off. At only age 46 she has been told by others to wait till she is older for a TKR, but saying now...what quality of life is there now if I wait. I told her about Bone Smart and she told me that just today she just accidentally found it while searching the Internet on knee articles. She told herself that she needed to come back and take a look. Now late in the day she meets me and I am telling her all about the forum and all of you! I gave her my doctors info, hospital and my PT. I asked her to please come to the forum to get support and have all of her questions answered. I sure hope that she will come. I am going to keep an eye open for her in the pre-op section, I told her my name and my user name here. It just feels good to meet people who are in the same place that I was in and hope that I can help!
:yes 4::yay::yahoo::doggieshmooze:
 
Good for you, Bonnie!!! You are a wonderful ambassador! It's amazing how many people you cross paths with that you can help. Keep up the great "missionary" work!!!
 
Keep it up Bonnie. Your inspiration continues to motivate me.. Got on treadmill last week walk/jog intervals completed 1 mile 15min 35 sec. This week again interval walk/jog 1mile in 14min 45 sec. Knees did not complain, only my cardio system complained.

I love the feeling, even though I'm not going very fast or far. I've come to enjoy cycling very much. But nothing beats running. My plan is to continue 1 or 2 times a week as long as the knees don't complain. The other days are cycling and resistance workouts.

There is a local 5k coming up in march that encourages walkers. I think I will participate. My goals will be modest but there is nothing like the feel of the crowd at the start or the thrill of crossing the finish line.

Thanks for getting me started.
 
Keep it up Bonnie. Your inspiration continues to motivate me.. Got on treadmill last week walk/jog intervals completed 1 mile 15min 35 sec. This week again interval walk/jog 1mile in 14min 45 sec. Knees did not complain, only my cardio system complained.

I love the feeling, not going very fast or far. I've come to enjoy cycling very much. But nothing beats running. My plan is to continue 1 or 2 times a week as long as the knees don't complain. The other days are cycling and resistance workouts.

There is a local 5k coming up in march that encourages walkers. I think I will participate. My goals will be modest but there is nothing like the feel of the crowd at the start or the thrill of crossing the finish line.

Thanks for getting me started.

Oh Gene!! That is wonderful, I jut got goosebumps reading your post! I am so happy for your and hey...your pace sounds pretty good to me. I am not a fast walker, I guess cause my legs are too short! I am 5' 2''. The 5K sounds like a wonderful goal, I am excited for you! You remember that I walked a 5K at 5 1/2 months post op, I wanted to run but didn't, I just walked like my life depended on it and finished in 49 minutes. Keep up the good work, don't over do, but keep at it. You inspire me too, we are all in this together and we can help each other day in and day out to meet our goals. Please keep me posted on your progress. I love it!!
:hysterical::yes 4::loll::dancy::yay::yahoo::doggieshmooze::happy dance::hapydancsmil::egypt-dance::ccheers::goodpost:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom