Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Bonnie that is amazing and you are such an inspiration to me. You have given all of us something to think about and thankyou for sharing with us.
 
Re: My TKR is making loud noises...

Bonnie, congratulations on your run. Hope I can emulate that on my bike...

My doc ... -was ADAMANT that I would not use clips for the first year after the surgery....

I had decided to clip in this summer--but my doc told me he loves those clips because they bring him lots of business!!! Two people in my bike group crashed when they could not get their foot loose... Kelly
Is it just because of crashing your doc doesn't like clips, or another reason?
 
Re: My TKR is making loud noises...

Bonnie, congratulations on your run. Hope I can emulate that on my bike...

Is it just because of crashing your doc doesn't like clips, or another reason?

My OS, actually told me which brand of clips would be best for me to buy. I had already put a pair on that cost me $100, barely used them, then after seeing the OS he told me to buy Speed Play because they have 28 degrees of float and my knee could find its sweet spot for peddling. The peddling was fine, but when slowing I fell over twice and that alone was the worst that set me back in recovery. I had the clipless peddles removed until I am a better bike rider! :secretaea:
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Awesome, inspiring, amazing... Words aren't enough!!! I'm glad you made it and are pain free. Wow...
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Bonnie, congratulations on your run. Hope I can emulate that on my bike...

Is it just because of crashing your doc doesn't like clips, or another reason?

My OS, actually told me which brand of clips would be best for me to buy. I had already put a pair on that cost me $100, barely used them, then after seeing the OS he told me to buy Speed Play because they have 28 degrees of float and my knee could find its sweet spot for peddling. The peddling was fine, but when slowing I fell over twice and that alone was the worst that set me back in recovery. I had the clipless peddles removed until I am a better bike rider! :secretaea:
All my bikes have Speedplays :thumb: so looks like I'm OK. You can of course select the amount of float you need.

Yes you have to learn that twisting motion until it's instinctive.
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

I am SO thrilled to read your post!!! I read it on the edge of my chair at work, with goosebumps and on the edge of tears!!!! trying to feel every word!!!

On my get-er-done list is to walk a 1/2 marathon! my L knee is ready and my R knee is coming along and as soon as my feet fall into suit! I KNOW I will be there!!!! and I LOVE your shirt! what an inspiration!!!!!

AWESOME!!!!!
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Bonnie, I've been think inking about your report all day and while I have put off trying to walk/jog in an effort to protect my September knee a little longer, I think tomorrow I will do my 40 minutes on the spin bike and then get on the treadmill for some shuffle. I think it's time to push the pace down under 15min/mile.

Catherine,
You are about in the same place as I am in terms of TKR dates. I have walked 5k at 3mph. Bonnie has inspired me to push it some!
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Bonnie, I've been think inking about your report all day and while I have put off trying to walk/jog in an effort to protect my September knee a little longer, I think tomorrow I will do my 40 minutes on the spin bike and then get on the treadmill for some shuffle. I think it's time to push the pace down under 15min/mile.

Catherine,
You are about in the same place as I am in terms of TKR dates. I have walked 5k at 3mph. Bonnie has inspired me to push it some!

Gene, I think that it is awesome that I have inspired you, but please stay within your comfort zone. When I was 12 weeks post op I jogged 1/3 mile on the treadmill. My PT didn't tell me to do that I just did it to test the waters. It felt great and I loved it, but knew that I could not do that everyday. About 5 3/4 months post op was when I walked my first 5K (post TKR) and did that in 49 minutes. For every hard day, you need several days of easy days so please don't go all out. The 20 mile bike ride was at 8 months post op. The most I ever ran was one day a week in getting ready for my 1/2 marathon.

What my plans are now is to do one quality run once a week, the gym and weight training and bike cardio/elliptical two days a week, and biking outside 2 days a week. All of those things compliment each other. An OS other than my doctor, told me that he tells his patients to DON'T give up you love, just do it smart, in moderation, and participate! Good luck to you and please let me know how it goes!:thumb:
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Bonnie,
First off CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so proud of you!!! What an awesome accomplishment!!! yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am currently doing 5k's at about 42 minutes - mostly walking but a tad of running - my question to you is how did you make your shirt? I want to make one for when I do my first 1/2 marathon too - only I have a spinal fusion and bilateral hip replacement - any suggestions?

Thanks so much,
xoxoxoxo
and congrats again,
Linda.
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Bonnie,
First off CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so proud of you!!! What an awesome accomplishment!!! yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am currently doing 5k's at about 42 minutes - mostly walking but a tad of running - my question to you is how did you make your shirt? I want to make one for when I do my first 1/2 marathon too - only I have a spinal fusion and bilateral hip replacement - any suggestions?

Thanks so much,
xoxoxoxo
and congrats again,
Linda.

Thank you so much for the congrats Linda! It means a lot to me. Sounds like you are moving right along in your 5K's! Back when I did mine, I made my self walk even though I wanted to break out in a run.

As far as the shirt goes...I purchased the technical Nike shirt myself, because I will only run in a moisture wicking fabric. www.cafepress.com is where I found the 'oval' that reads TKR, you'd be surprised the things they have! I had the actual photo copy of my X-ray from my doctor. I took it all to a T-shirt shop to have it all done. I pretty much knew how I wanted it, they added the runner girl with that pony tail! It was all pretty easy and I had it ready in plenty of time. I hope that helps.

When May rolls around I will be registering for the FULL Houston Marathon once again! If I feel this good now...just think how great I will feel one year from now, and I can actually train! Good luck! XOXO :yahoo:
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Awesome shirt, Bonnie!!!! I'm sure it impacted many more people than you'll ever know!!

If you are worried about people finding your thread, I can change the title to whatever you'd like. How about adding that you've now run a 1/2 marathon?

On the Other Side and Running 1/2 Marathons Again!

But.....I don't think you have to worry. Folks who are following your story (and there are a lot of them as you can see) will find you!!
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Awesome shirt, Bonnie!!!! I'm sure it impacted many more people than you'll ever know!!

If you are worried about people finding your thread, I can change the title to whatever you'd like. How about adding that you've now run a 1/2 marathon?

On the Other Side and Running 1/2 Marathons Again!

But.....I don't think you have to worry. Folks who are following your story (and there are a lot of them as you can see) will find you!!


Jamie, that new title would be awesome if you can do that! If nothing else it would be an eye catcher for someone who was just like me a year or more ago. An athletic person who is looking at knee replacement and wondering if they can ever do their sport again. Thank you so much! You are great! :hysterical:
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Bonnie,
I agree completely. I started riding my bike outdoors after my 4th week post-op and have been doing weight work and spin bike indoors as well.

I have walked 3 miles at 3.1 mph but have avoided running up to this point.

my plan is to start out on the treadmill doing 30-60 second intervals followed by a walking interval. I will start with perhaps a total of 20 minutes with only a few 4-6 running intervals.

After my first outing I will assess, and not repeat for at least two days

As with any training regimen, recovery time is critical to avoiding problems, post TKR this is even more important.

Bottom line for me is, if the first interval doesn't feel right I will not push it but drop the plan for another several weeks and then try again.

Thanks for the suggetions.
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Walking intervals would be great Gene. I basically did the same. First it was all walking, then added in a bit of jogging, finally over time I could jog more than walk and so on. I increased my mileage slow too. First 3 miles, then 3.5, 4 miles, 5 miles, 6 and finally 7 miles. All of these distances have walking breaks in them. My 5 mile race on December 11, I walked only on the several downhills on the course. After each workout of running/jogging just see how you feel for a couple of days, ride your bike instead and try the run again a week later. :thumb: Good luck!
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

:wow2: I see that I have now graduated to 'Senior' here on BoneSmart! I am so flattered and happy to be here!! :ThankYou:
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Picture taken right after finishing the Houston 1/2 Marathon on Sunday January 15, 2012. I am the one in the black shirt, with my friend Tricia in the blue shirt.
9 1/2 months post op!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
    92378-3097-002t.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 250
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Excellent. Seeing the smiles is one more thing I look forward to after the surgery. You have come a long way and to be running in races is so awesome.
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

I just love reading the story of your 1/2 marathon

Big Gene said You are about in the same place as I am in terms of TKR dates. I have walked 5k at 3mph. Bonnie has inspired me to push it some!

AGREED reading what Bonnie is done makes me want to get out there MOVE. - the R knee has been fussier than the first one, seems to "swell" easier than the first one did (or at least that is how I remember it) and I'm having "some" foot issues so I'm have not pushed the walking here in the last week or so, but I'm pushing it on the bike instead.
Next Friday night I'm walking a 5 K at Disney land - ready or not I will make it! I'm not even "that" worried about it. I'm going to walk on my Treadmill tonight and see how it feels - I had minor surgery on a toe a week ago and I should be ready to walk again.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom