Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

WOW! Wonderful story, thanks so much for sharing you success and happiness.
 
I wrote a little story to my running club about my experience in doing the 1/2 marathon on January 15. Thought I'd share it with you all. Joy and happiness!!

"I didn't really write about this before but I have relived it in my head over and over as this was as true as true happiness as I have felt within myself in a very long time.

I felt so wonderful doing my 1/2 marathon. It was five years in the making. As a veteran of 24 full marathons and a 100+ races less than 26.2 miIes I finally got the opportunity to participate again after multiple knee surgeries and knee replacements.

I was smiling all Expo weekend, smiling laying out my clothes the night before. Smiling when I woke up at 4:30 am to get ready and smiling from the start line to finish line and for days afterwards. Yes there are still endorphins with walking really fast!

Having the opportunity to coach a group of walkers was a Godsend for me. It gave me part of my life back. I am so grateful to Cypress Running Club for giving me the opportunity. The people that I met that are part of my group have become wonderful friends that I care about dearly. A few have run some in the past, some have always walked and that's all they want to do...save their joints! Most were newbies and I got them ready and trained for our goal race which was the Aramco Houston 1/2 Marathon. They are no longer newbies now, they are seasoned 1/2 marathoners and I am so proud of them!!

So running used to be my life and that was taken from me like a rug pulled out from underneath me and I've missed it so much. For 5 years I'd register for the 1/2 or full Houston only to have another disappointment of yet another knee surgery. After the 6th knee surgery I remember telling Ashley Bass, Patrick and Brandi Gomez when they'd be in Fleet Feet...I know it's going to be ok this time...I know I can do this, and I did!

I've taught myself to walk really fast, I was never a fast walker when I was a runner, but my competitiveness and heart felt desire and longing to be part of the running community still, I've worked on it until I can easily do a 13:30 pace walking. It's like I've taught myself to run with both feet on the ground. My overall pace for the 1/2 was 14:54 mm and I still beat a couple thousand people. I figure I can keep getting better, stronger and faster as my newest knee is only 15 months old today. For the most part I walked the entire way, I did jog through some intersections or to get around slow people or two women who were dressed up as ❄️ snowflakes, they were really bugging me by being in front of me with big snowflake wings, so I passed them and never had to see them again. I ran/jogged the last 1/4 mile into and across the finish line because I refuse to walk across the finish line. I was just fine afterwards, truly I felt more like I had run a marathon afterwards because it was my longest distance in 5 years.

I took the next week off then the following Saturday I did 8 miles and 3 days ago I did 10 miles training at a 15:00 mm pace. I have a 1/2 marathon relay on Saturday February 11, a 1/2 marathon on March 4, a 10K on March 18 then another 1/2 marathon relay on April 9. I'll continue to walk all summer long because I am thinking that I'd like to walk the Portland Marathon November 2017 and make it Marathon #25...anyone wanna join me???

I love my group the BonnieWalkers and they know how much I hate getting up early Saturday mornings but I love my time with them, it's so much fun...so my alarm wakes me up and I get ready and go! Here's to many more miles to come! ‍♀️"

@RunA42K
You are a Portland girl, if I recall correctly. Enjoy. One of my old ultrarunning friends has a 35+ year streak at Portland Marathon. I'm a trail guy so I'll miss :).
 
Hello everyone, it's been a while. I wanted to check in since I've had PM's from different members knowing that I live in Houston which has been going through devastating heartbreaking flooding the past 5 days. Myself and all my family members here are fine. Our houses are dry, we are surely blessed as I know many who have lost everything.

Sunday night into Monday morning, I had resigned myself that my house would flood, I spent time protecting photographs, special keepsakes, important papers. Taking up everything from low shelves...just getting ready for it. Went to bed after midnight expecting to wake up (although almost no sleep) to water in my house but we were spared in that the rain was not as intense as it was the night before. Although water had risen, not enough to come in the house.

We never lost power, we must have a very good infastructure here in Houston. This city is strong. Texas is strong and we have people helping people everyone. It restores your faith in mankind!!

So a quick knee update...I am not quite 22 months post op from my second total revision. I have been walking 30 to 35 miles a week. Several Saturdays ago I walked 18.5 miles, yes all at once! I'm going to live my dream of doing a marathon again, in Portland, Oregon on October 8th. I ran 24 marathons (26.2 miles) on the two knees I was born with and had to stop before I was ready. Finally after 7 years and six knee surgeries I will do my 25th marathon!! I didn't mention that I'm in a boot right now for a stress fracture of the first metatarsal on my right foot. No biggie, just a bump in the road, I've been thru so much worse. You know I never give up!!
 
Glad you are safe, well, and focused on Portland. Prayers for Houston and to the east where the rains returned.
 
Wow, thanks for the update. Glad you're still dry. And thanks for giving hope to this runner, who's short career was cut even shorter by TKR. I walked my first mile today. I'm excited to start my training again, even if I'm super slow. Do you just walk or do intervals?
 
Wow, thanks for the update. Glad you're still dry. And thanks for giving hope to this runner, who's short career was cut even shorter by TKR. I walked my first mile today. I'm excited to start my training again, even if I'm super slow. Do you just walk or do intervals?

I say that I walk (really fast) and take run breaks! I won't be wreckless and just all out run but I alternate walking/running. It took me a while to get to this point! A good 18 months after my last surgery and seemingly endless Physical Therapy to get strong, but I've arrived and it keeps getting better. Be patient and go easy and it will come!!
 
Also @Jennszoo after my last revision when I started walking I was like a 22 min slow mile. Now I can walk as fast as a 12:45 mile so just be patient and keep moving forward.
 
Thanks! My mile today was 21:30. I was flirting with 13mm doing Galloway ( :30/:30) when I hurt myself last fall. I made it to 11 miles training for my first half. Injury led to dx of sever OA and I'm sure you know the rest of the story. :egypdance:

My goal is to get back to 5k and 10ks and see if I ever can get to that elusive half!
 
Thanks for checking in @RunA42K ! Your BoneSmart family was worried - so glad you and your family are fine!
 
Glad to hear you are doing ok in this disaster. Thanks for the update.

Your knee sounds like it is doing great. Hope your foot improves soon. You are right you never give up. Good luck with your marathon.
 
I just learned that Sonja @RestAssured just passed away on Wednesday Sept 27. Did you all know? @Jamie @Josephine Her funeral will be Tuesday October 3rd. You can read her obituary on her FaceBook page - Sonja Brekke England. So very sad, such a loss. :sad:
 
Thanks Bonnie,
Such sad news, Sonja was always so upbeat and supportive.
 
I'm so sorry to hear that. My thoughts are with her family.

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk
 
So sorry to read your news. Sonja will be truly missed! :cry:
 
Thank you for letting us know about Sonja's passing, Bonnie.

A lovely person, she will be greatly missed.
 
Absolutely thank you for letting us know. That's really sad
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom