Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Bonnie, I am so very pleased to know that your tenacity is paying off. You are really doing well!!!! I'm impressed with the ROM you've gotten so far. You're still very early, as you know, so it will be interesting to see what the next year brings.
 
Yes @Jamie...hopefully no more scar tissue in the next year!!
 
It is so encouraging for those of us still recovering to hear stories such as yours. I'm so glad you didn't settle -- well done!

Roxie
 
making me jealous knee is fine but just had heart op now got prosthetic tube in there and have been told not to ride outdoor bike for another 2 month and swimming another month at least and england is having a good summer.
 
I don't have that tight clamp feeling around my knee today.

Been doing research on adhesions and came across your thread. Probably the best description of what I feel, and something else you mentioned to think about--back issues! I am having some of that as well as well probably due to my less than 90 ROM. Glad the procedure worked for you--I am looking at having it done, too, arthroscopically, I hope, not open. For some reason, my OS says wait until 6 months out, which will be in November some time.

Gilina
 
I had my first RTKR in 2011, then had scar tissue removed about a year later, and just a year ago I had a Revision. It took almost a year, but my knee is 100% perfect. I couldn't be more pleased. Hang on .... you'll get there too.
Barb (abby)
 
Baby - so glad to hear how well you're doingb. With less than 2 weeks to go until my revision, this is what I like to hear !
 
I thought it was time that I get on here and update you all. Those that I've tagged have replied with kudos for me that I am doing so well and that my results give them hope. Well, not too soon I am afraid...I'm going backwards again.

I've seen Dr. Lintner about every 5 weeks in the last 5 months. I am definitely growing scar tissue again. I knew it and he confirmed it and it is getting painful and I have the TIGHT clamp around my knee. I get up from a sitting position and I now limp again. I cannot get anywhere near close to touching my heel like I was able to do after surgery in April. My pain level in trying to bend my knee goes up to an 8 or 9. I would say I am functional at 90 degrees only when 4 months ago I could get 120 in PT without pain. This despite regular PT and 3 different RX compounding scar creams I am back where I started once again.

I can't just keep having surgery for it if it's just going to come back again so doctor Lintner and I have been talking about some other options. I've read a lot at https://arthrofibrosis.com/ and have been on the Stedman's Clinics site as well. Since Dr. Stedman retired, Dr. Singleton has taken up his work with Arthofibrosis. Dr. Lintner even knows Dr. Singleton. But...Dr. Singleton will almost NEVER see a patient for Arthobrosis who has a knee replacement because he says that 99% of the time the Arthofibrosis grows due to an ill fitting knee replacement. That brings us to my unusually large spacer that gave me the huge leg length difference. That in of itself has been a nightmare for me now for 1 year and 9 months, with my hip aching and my lower left back always in pain. I've also read that while in hip replacements sometimes the surgery leg ends up being longer than the non surgical leg but that leg length difference in a total knee replacement is uncommon... I have a best friend who lives 30 minutes from Vail, Colorado who says if I came to the Stedman Clinic I'd have a place to stay with her, but with a knee replacement they'd not want to see me. I've also read that if the spacer is too large it can move the joint line up which also plays havoc with with bending one's knee as it throws everything off, the pulling of the knee cap out of alignment (which mine does) and quad pain all the way up as it tries to stretch beyond what is natural.

So now comes the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th opinion...I have doctors appointments lined up for September 14, October 21st, and am waiting for a call back now from a doctors office...looking at my history and deciding if they can or want to see me. I've already been turned down once this week by one doctor that I was referred to by Dr. Lintner. That's pretty depressing when you are looking for help and your are told that they can't see you...

Houston has a world renowned medical center with world class medical care, people come here from all over the world to seek out the best medical attention. I have no doubt that I can find it here, but who is it??? I don't know yet. My right knee has been a nightmare for the past 5 years and I'm so tired of not feeling even somewhat normal. I'm not giving up though, I know that it can be better than what I have now.

@Jamie @Randi @amberpep @LaPaz @Gilina @RICBAK1 @Kansas Teacher @skigirl @patient 99

Stay tuned...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bonnie,
Hope you find someone who can help you. Thanks for the information about the problems with a TKR that can contribute to arthrofibrosis.
You will find someone who can help you with your persistence.
When I tried your arthrfibrosis link it did not work.
Is this the right link: https://arthrofibrosis.com ?
 
Thanks Bonnie,
Your second link worked for me, it is a very informative site, thanks for sharing!
 
Bonnie, I am so deeply sorry the scar tissue has redeveloped. :tantrum2: Have you looked into any possible homeopathic solutions? I have not reviewed your whole history, but your comments about the large spacer grabbed me - is there a reason why they have not considered replacing it with something thinner? I would certainly think that would throw off your hips and back, having had enough of those issues myself.
 
Bonnie, I am so deeply sorry the scar tissue has redeveloped. :tantrum2: Have you looked into any possible homeopathic solutions? I have not reviewed your whole history, but your comments about the large spacer grabbed me - is there a reason why they have not considered replacing it with something thinner? I would certainly think that would throw off your hips and back, having had enough of those issues myself.
This is what my new doctor appointments are about...addressing the spacer. I've never even had a functional 110 degrees since my revision 1 year and 9 months ago. I hover nearer to 90 and push to 100 but now 100 is painful.
 
Oh Bonnie - let's hope the next round of doctors can find a real sloution. Looking forward to more updates
 
I'm so sorry, Bonnie. But true to form, you're attacking this with your usual good spirits and drive. I still have faith that the answer is out there somewhere. Did you ever consider talking with Dr. Maale in the Dallas area?

Do continue to let us know how things go. I'll be thinking of you!!!

Oh, and I fixed the link in your longer post so that it works now and moved your tag list to the end of the post. We don't allow multiple tags at the beginning of a post because it causes problems for our members who use smart phones to access the forum. You don't really need to worry about tagging everyone. Trust me, we'll see your post!!
 
Houston has so many good doctors that I feel no need to travel to Dallas. On the flip side of that Sonja lives in a much smaller area than that of Houston and I understand why she would need to travel to find a specialist. Houston has a wonderful medical center, there is someone here for me I know it!
 
Bonnie, I know that Houston has great doctors and Austin as well because that's the latest trip in my many surgeries on various parts of my body.

I know that Dr. Maale has dealt w Arthrofibrosis before and he is one of the most outstanding and intelligent doctors I have met. I know you are hunting in Houston but if they can't help you, he can. Maybe just send a
report and MRI to him? I really want you to succeed! He can tell you if he can help your situation.
:friends:

No matter what, I know you won't give up! We are "Sister Warriors!"
 
I'm so sorry to hear that you are having problems again, Bonnie. :console2: :friends:

I admire you tenacity and your active efforts to find someone who can help.
I do hope that at least one of the new doctors you will be seeing can offer a resolution and some hope for you.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom