Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

@skigirl @patient 99 Kelly, my recovery sounds just the same as yours. I went to Physical Therapy today and did quad sets with stim, leg lifts and heel slides. We are not doing any weight bearing strengthening at all, doing nothing to irritate and cause my knee to swell. I was measured today at 110 degrees which is just incredible to me when six days ago I was at 80 degrees. At home I am on the CPM , electro therapy quad sleeve, and using my compounded scar cream. I ice continually with my Breg ice Cube machine that with electricity circulates ice water through a hose that attaches to a Velcro sleeve around my knee. It all seems to be paying off.

I did see the doc yesterday and had my stitches out although I think a bit too early because it started bleeding several times today. When the nurse took off the bandage yesterday she says "OMG" to the doctor..."you used some heavy duty string here." It turns out that they had to cut the two holes bigger than normal because the scar tissue was so thick and dense they could not get their tools through the normal size holes. That water would shoot straight back at the docs instead of going out the exit portal.

The scar tissue was actually worse this time than the first time and the first time was REALLY bad! A thick white sheet that covered the entire knee joint and was intertwining between the metal parts. It was still actively growing and had to be shaved out taking two hours.

I am so very happy with the way I feel now, I feel free with a spring in my step. No more hip pain, no more back pain, no more knee pain. I am no longer being strangled, no tight clamp feeling, and no more limping.

@Jamie I asked for more info on the scar cream and I was referred to the pharmacy so I will call them. I will refill what I have anyway so I'll need to call them regardless.
 
I scanned the pics taken during my surgery.
They start page one and then page two. Page one they show first trying to bend and straighten my leg prior to shaving out scar tissue. The next 4 pictures on page one is of the scar tissue (all white covering my entire knee) then the tool that cuts it out as they begin. Page 2 is where the scar tissue is cleaned out and then bending and straightening my knee again.

Day two at Physical Therapy today and I am still bending at 110 degrees. Surgery was one week ago today.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
    surgery page 1.png
    171.3 KB · Views: 389
  • [Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
    surgery page 2.png
    123.7 KB · Views: 322
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting your photos, lots of tissue in there to remove.
Amazing how they can go in there and take all of that arthrofibrosis out of your knee.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, edited out information and reposted...see above for pictures.
 
Wow....what interesting photos, Bonnie! Hon, I'm so thrilled to hear how well things are going for you. You know we're all rootin' for you and I'm sure you're so aware of the gentle treatment that is needed for your knee.

First order of priority is your recovery. No hurry about the cream information. I do hope it works. That would be so great. Keep the faith!!!
 
So glad to hear how happy you are with your latest surgery. I had my knee cleaned two years ago and may need that done again. Hope they can do it twice successfully to the same knee. Keep up the good reports.
 
So glad to hear how happy you are with your latest surgery. I had my knee cleaned two years ago and may need that done again. Hope they can do it twice successfully to the same knee. Keep up the good reports.
Nancy, mine has been done twice on the same knee, or should I say leg...1st TKR grew adhesions, had Arthoscopy to remove it. Then 4 months later total knee revision, same leg, grew adhesions again and 16 months later (this time) a second Arthoscopy on the same leg to remove it. My doctor said if it comes back we will remove it again!
 
Today I peddled my bicycle on a trainer for 10 minutes 9 days post op from Arthroscopy for Arthrofibrois. I am still very encouraged.

Today my husband and I went to a fitness equipment place here in Houston so I could try something that I saw in Runner's World magazine. Something called a Zero Runner by a Octane Fitness. It's NOT a treadmill, it's NOT an elliptical but actually has you doing the real running motion with ZERO impact. No piece of equipment will ever take the place of running outside for me or finishing another marathon, but it has a great cardio workout and keeps my knee bending.

The doctor told me last week that I need to be doing something everyday to keep my knee bending in light of my aggressive scar tissue. I can't be outside everyday obviously because of weather changes so I am buying this tomorrow. I want to use it each day before I get ready for work. My husband says it's my Mother's Day present. broken link removed: https://www.zerorunner.com
 
Bonnie, I think the Zero Runner will be great for you. I'm thinking of getting one next winter (and, I hope we have a winter). Octane Fitness has some good machines and I've seen the reviews and YouTube videos on the Zero Runner. Looks pretty intriguing. Keep us posted, and congrats on successful surgery.
 
Bonnie, I think the Zero Runner will be great for you. I'm thinking of getting one next winter (and, I hope we have a winter). Octane Fitness has some good machines and I've seen the reviews and YouTube videos on the Zero Runner. Looks pretty intriguing. Keep us posted, and congrats on successful surgery.

@trailspud Well I bought it today. It will be delivered and set up on Thursday morning. I tried it again today. There is a bit of a learning curve getting the stride just right and whew...4 minutes on that in the store got my heart pumping. I am excited! I could feel myself using my knee, it was great!! I'll keep you updated on it.
 
Wow....that's some machine, Bonnie!!! Pretty impressive. I'm going to forward the website to my trainer. It appears to really have captured the running stride correctly.
 
@RunA42K

I hope the ZeroRunner fills all those gaps for you. The other machine I'm looking at is the Concept2 Skier. Cardio, core, and a killer interval machine.

I've heard there is a learning curve for the ZeroRunner, but I doubt it's like the old NordicTrack ski machines...I loved mine in the 80s.
 
@trailspud @Jamie I don't think the learning curve is too great, as I got better at it in the store over a few minutes. My problem was I only have about 110 ROM right now, surgery 12 days ago and I've not been able to run for so long, I don't even know what my running gait is any longer. I kept taking too big of strides at first, which is most like an elliptical motion and this mavhine is NOT an elliptical. When I would shorten my stride and kick up my heel like in the toe off process of running then I started doing it right.

Octane Fitness makes ONLY machines that are NON IMPACT, no other company makes all non impact equipment. So if the Zero runner is not for others of you out there, they make other things as well that do not impact our knees or hips.

Jamie, I read on their web site that Octane products are in all kinds of gyms across the country, they have a reputation of excellence.
 
Bonnie, I showed this to my husband and he was in awe! That was one of the hard things that I was having while making the decision to have the surgery, no more running..mind you my running is VERY slow but I absolutely LOVE it...it was one of the only things I could do that DIDNT hurt my knee, because the ROM was minimal for me..of course my knees were swollen and sore after, but during I felt no pain....I promised myself and the hubby that I wouldn't run any longer, but I will be able to ride a bike again and swim and hike without the pain..Im hoping my gym will get one of these!!!! Enjoy!!!
 
Hey bonnie , congratulations on the surgery . I use a arch trainer at my gym . It replecates running yet theres absolutely no impact at all.I love it . You will really enjoy your zero runner. Im glad to hear all your adhesions have been removed. Your committed to getting this knee fixed ,keep up the great work. Best of luck , Iceman
 
My trainer loved it and had not seen one before. So thanks for the info!
 
Bonnie, I think that @RestAssured Sonja uses something like this in her training. They have these in our gym. I am still a bike, but have been know to "run" on one of these for 20 min here and there!!! It sounds like you are doing well--such a relief to be on the right track now. I had bad news about my right knee---am busy setting up second opinions.
 
Bonnie, I am now dealing with my left knee again with adhesions. I am going to a second opinion and am thinking of going to Ann Arbor, Mi To see David Blaka. One of the things that is most interesting to me is that the new thinking is to use a heat pen and to cauterized the adhesions. If they use a debridement too (Like my OS did) there is bleeding in the joint, but if it is cauterized, there is little or no blood.

Most of the new research is coming out of Steadman Clinic in Vail--but they will not treat knees post tkr.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow such impressive. I am 5 months from partial knee. And 2 months from convention to total knee and I don't have the good of bend.

Happy healing xxx Your post gave me some inspiration..


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom