Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

No Worries, I was impressed you posted this soon after your surgery. I am very interested in how the compounding cream works, seems to be the latest in preventing excessive scar tissue.
 
Welcome once again to the other side! You are a true inspiration Bonnie!
 
Bonnie, I'm so happy to know you are back home and doing well. Your spirit is something else, girl!!! It's amazing to me that you managed to grow that much scar tissue in such a short time. I do hope the "scar button" gets switched off this time and you can enjoy your knee for many years to come. (((HUGS)))) to you!
 
Bonnie, I am glad to hear that your surgery went well. I am also interested in the compounding cream---I will be interested in hearing all the words of wisdom from your doc for preventing adhesions to regrow. How frustrating.

I hope that all is well now.
 
Bonnie, I am glad to hear that your surgery went well. I am also interested in the compounding cream---I will be interested in hearing all the words of wisdom from your doc for preventing adhesions to regrow. How frustrating.

I hope that all is well now.
Kelly, the doc came and to talk to me and my husband before hand and he did say that textbook scar tissue just does not grow like this, but I have proved to break the rules when it comes to Arthrofibrosis. He said that I am just one of a few patients that's he he's had that has repeatedly grown adhesions to this extreme and added that with each surgery of this type it beats it back more and more and usually grows back less and less. He can't guarantee that I won't grow it again but all the measures we are taking now will help.

He told me once I was under anesthesia they would see how much my knee would bend with just gravity, then they would push on it. They got it to 80 degrees. The scar tissue he described was in thick sheets that had to be shaved out, some strands were snipped. They rechecked my ROM and I was at 120 degrees. Wow is all I can say!!! 40 degrees gained in one procedure...and come to think of it, I don't have that tight clamp feeling around my knee today. Oh...and no pain pills needed!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds great (except for the whole having to have surgery again)! Glad it went so well for you!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Quad sets made easy, I wear this sleeve (which velcros behind my leg) three times a day for 20 minutes at a time. It's something I had not done immediately after surgery before. Insurance paid for it too, as well as extra electro pads. It really contracts my quad muscle then relaxes it it has a countdown timer for 20 minutes each use. I tried to video the movement...it works! And of course the good old CPM!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
    image.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 277
  • [Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
    image.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 328
Still doing really well. Being a very good patient. Sleeping 12 hours and icing, elevating, quad electro therapy and CPMing for a good 10 hours a day. No pain pills needed at all.

I took a pic yesterday. My non surgical leg is at 90 degrees just for a reference point, the surgical leg with the compression stocking is at ??? degrees? No measurements yet so I don't know but considering I was at 80 degrees on Thursday, this looks really good to me. What degree do you think it could be?

[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @RunA42K

Bonnie I'm so pleased your surgery has gone successfully. Well done. Love the quad idea. Fantastic!

Your bend looks great! Good luck with your recovery and I hope you're not in pain x

Love Nana moon 27 x
 
Your knee looks fabulous! I bet @Josephine can tell you what your bend is.....she's got the "eye"!!!
 
Hi Bonnie,
I'm glad the surgery went well. It was obviously what you needed.

Hoping that your recovery is successful and your knee doesn't grow the scar tissue again.
:flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
 
I had my first Physical Therapy yesterday, my therapist (the same one all these years) is all about not irritating my knee. Doc wants me to keep it moving and so does Physical Therapist, but no pain whatsoever. Just gentle passive movements like CPM, heel slides, non weight bearing bending. Weight bearing for normal daily activities. Anything to keep this knee from swelling, since it can't bend if it's swollen an if it's not bending adhesions can grow. So my first measurement yesterday post op was 105 degrees. That was in a sitting position pulling my knee to my chest. I can tell you that after my revision I NEVER was able to get to 105 in that sitting position. Extension is perfect!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It took a while to recover from the Open Lysis of Adhesions. If you doc won't listen to you, consult the list I gave you earlier. You could at least get a second opinion. The surgery itself was not bad, I spent one night in the hospital. The pain lasted about 5 days. The recovery was long because my doc was adament that if you over exercised a knee that was prone to adhesions, it would help them grow back fast. So, nothing happened while the knee was hot and swollen. I did patella mobilizations, leg lifts, quad sets and heel slides. At 8 weeks, I began to regain strength. It was boring and I am so tired of rehab!!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom