Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

@RunA42K
How is the Zero Runner and your re-re-repaired knee?
Hi @trailspud! I've been on my Zero Runner, but not too much yet as I don't want to make my knee inflamed by doing to much too soon. My first week in Physical Therapy I reached 110 degrees rom, second week only 103 due to swelling. Third wheel back to 110, 112, 113 degrees. I've not gotten higher that that yet. I get discouraged because after having this surgery twice for arthobrosis, initially I feel so free to get that initial rom, but I am reminded each and every time by my Physical Therapist that it has been years since I had a decent rom, the quad muscle has not been stretched for so long that it will take time to build muscle and get that muscle to stretch. I still cannot go down steps normally.

My recovery has been virtually pain free due in part also to the compounded cream they have had me using. I just finished it off yesterday. I see my surgeon on Tuesday which will be one month 3 days post op. I'll be anxious to get his opinion on how I am doing. All I want is to be able to ride my bike outside, walk for long miles and be able to go down stairs normally. Not too much to ask for from a former marathon runner!!
 
Bonnie, I'm so pleased to hear that the compounded cream is helping you. I admire your patience!! You're doing it right. Hang in there!!!
 
Bonnie,
Glad to hear the compounding cream helped. You have aways to go but you will get there.
:bicycle1: :hiking: :fasthorse:
 
Good day at Physical Therapy today. I walked in not expecting much, but a little heat and stim sure goes a long way. I was doing heel glides today, sitting on the therapy table and I reached 112 degrees a number of times without pain. I've NEVER been able to do 112 in a sitting position...had those been wall slides today, there is no doubt I would have got 115 degrees.

Tonight is my last night with the CPM...I've grown quite attached to it. My husband said yesterday...if we knew then, what we know now, we should have just bought you a CPM. He's right. As I type this, I am CPMing now, I'm going to miss it, it goes back tomorrow with my one month check up.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@RunA42K

You should be able to buy a good used CPM online for about 1/3 or less of the Zero Runner.

I loved the CPM for my TKR and ACI recoveries.
 
Goodbye CPM (pic below) I'm going to miss you! :unsure:

My Doc said I can start walking some miles now so as soon as all this wild rainy weather in Texas lets up, I'll be out there! My insurance company has gotten very stingy with my Physical Therapy visits. My plan lets me go 120 times a year, it's been the same for 5 years now. Yes I said 120 visits per year. I guess they are tired of me going but with 5 knee surgeries, I've been going for 4 1/2 years now. So now they say it's not medically necessary...this is what my doctor wrote to them today..."Stating I need ongoing Physical Therapy for reoccurring Arthrofibrois and may relapse without aggressive rom Physical Therapy" I Got a new RX for Physical Therapy today with no end date and another doctor visit set up for 6 weeks from today.

@trailspud just out of cusosity I googled CPM's and found them to cost about $3500 and up. My Zero Runner retails for $3300 but I got mine for $2800. Anyway...the CPM is fine for just laying around but the rest of me gets no exercise with it so it was time to go. My Zero Runner bends my knees and gives me a great cardio workout! Rainy days = Zero Runner, sunny days = walk/bike outside...except I can't bike outside yet...but soon :biking:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
    image.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 271
I forgot to ask my doctor yesterday if he wanted me to continue to use the compounded cream, I had finished it off on Saturday. Doctor didn't mention it and I forgot...I figured that was it. Then I get a "courtesy call" this morning from the pharmacy to see if I needed it refilled. I told them to let me check with my doctor. I emailed them and later today I heard back that YES the doctor said to get it refilled. He really believes in this even just over a month post op. If it helps me not to have surgery again, I'm all for it and it sure keeps my knee pain free.
 
@RunA42K

Another question about the Zero Runner: Are there different resistance level settings? And, how are things progressing?
 
Bonnie, I'm so thrilled to hear that the compounding cream is working! It sounds like you are doing well even with the loss of the CPM :heehee:. Time to move onward and upward!!!
 
Hi Bonnie,

Just dropped by and saw this thread. Glad you're doing well!

Al the best,
Julia
Yay!! Hi Julia...@bassplayer, I still think of you often, so glad that you stopped by. I'll give an update post now. How are you doing???
 
@RunA42K

Another question about the Zero Runner: Are there different resistance level settings? And, how are things progressing?
Hi @trailspud, sorry for my very late delay in answering you. YES the Zero runner does have different resistant settings, and they've teamed up with Garmin now and I have an app with Garmin/Zero Runner so I can upload my workouts into Garmin Connect!!
 
Gosh, where to begin??? I have not posted since the 13th of May. I've never given up, I'll always keep trying, I'll never settle.

I am still going to PT twice a week, my last surgery was 11 weeks ago...almost! I had been using my compounded cream for discouraging scar tissue and on the 3rd refill, guess I reached my limit to the ingredients and my leg broke out into a hot, red, raised, itchy rash. I saw my Family Practice doctor over it and I was given a shot in my backside of a steroid, given a topical RX steroid cream, took predisone for about 10 days along with a RX allergy med. My rash was gone after about a week, never to return.

That compounded cream was a mixture of about 6 ingredients, and we don't know which one I was allergic to. I saw my OS again on June 17th, and he was more than impressed that my extension was straighter than straight but my ROM is still a work in progress but I am still progressing. As of June 17th, I had been able to painfully get to 120 degrees once or twice but in no way functional at all. He wrote me out another RX for another 5 weeks of PT which of course I will go to faithfully!! I also got a new RX for a different compounded cream which I started using just 5 days ago. So far so good with no allergic reaction...it just costs more...my portion $201.35 but still, its cheaper than surgery!! The main ingredient in my new cream is Naproxen 10% and some other stuff. I will be happy to list out any other ingredients if anyone is interested in either cream that I have used.

I went for a bike ride a couple of weeks ago and rode for 20 miles...just because I could. That day I still had to ride for a mile or longer to get my knee stretched out and loosened up so I could pedal properly.

So yesterday, June 29th I am at PT and I have my best day since 2012 or before??? Multiple times doing heel slides I reached 122 degrees and once I even got 124!! So finally my PT told me to use the strap and pull 'only' as far as I could without pain. I pulled and it was 120 and it did not hurt. That is a first in a VERY, VERY, VERY long time for me.

I've been extremely busy with working and going to PT and when I do have free time it takes my time just doing things like house work, laundry, grocery shopping, etc. I think about Bonesmart often but feel like I cannot post and talk about myself if I am not contributing to other people as well. But I got a message from Kelly @skigirl, and saw that I'd been tagged multiple times so I figured it was time to check in again.

I'd say YES, the cream is working...I can reach back now and actually grab my foot. Back before April 9th, I was 24 inches away from even touching my foot.

I read a while back that someone called my Dr. Lintner and was told that he only sees sports injuries. I am sorry if he was not able to help. I feel very fortunate that he sees me. I was an athlete before I had knee replacement and still consider myself an athlete now...just no running. I know he is a very busy, well respected Dr. so maybe he's had to limit his practice. When I went to have my stitches out in my surgery knee in April, one of the nurses made a remark of how I much have sweet talked him into seeing me since I had a knee replacement. I just told her that he helped me before and now he's helped me again. Five knee surgeries, 4 doctors. Dr. Lintner is the BEST! My revisionist Dr. Stephen Incavo here in Houston, although I consider him an excellent surgeon and he gave a me a good revision knee...he is lacking a little personality for me to want to continue with him...but if you want a good surgeon to do a revision I do recommend him. Kind of a service after the sell kind of thing...good product, but not very empathetic for my personal wants, needs, desires. Dr. Lintner gets it and understands!!

So I am doing well, making slow and steady progress. Day after day, week after week, I'll get there eventually because I won't have it any other way!!

Never give up, keep trying, don't settle!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It is wonderful to read about your knee. Yes, I also never give up---I guess that is part of being an athlete--no matter how cold I get, I would never come in from skiing if I am in a clinic or a class---we just keep going. I would love to know the ingredients in the compounding cream---maybe the number of the compounding pharmacy. Do you need a script for it?
 
What a lovely post Bonnie, thank you for sharing. You will give hope to so many people who may be having a less than easy recovery. Well done and your surgeon sounds wonderful xxx keep up the great work!

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
I'll get back to all of you with both of my scar tissue creams, as I have the day off tomorrow then off all weekend! Whew!!! I'm tired..,
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom