Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

I had heard that insurance companies were clamping down on compounded medicines....so sorry to hear that. In the end a person must do what feels right for them. I'm with you, though....I'd probably go with what the doctor wants instead of something that is "almost" the same. I think that difference can be profound sometimes.

I'm sending you good vibes for the surgery, Bonnie!!!
 
Hi Bonnie

It worries me when you here those immortal words "well it's the same but doesn't have this ingredient or that ingredient or less of..." That's like going out to the store to buy pantyhose and ending up with stockings! Excuse the rubbish metaphor!

I'm not sure how your medi insurance works over there but could you not appeal? It has to be worth a shot. More often than not insurance companies will say no until you appeal. They often may rely on people not wanting to cause a fuss x

Like you say it is a cheaper option than surgery but gosh $1000 (approx Eng £678) is a lot of money) !

Anyway good luck to you @RunA42K x x x thinking of you....

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Tomorrow, Wednesday I will get my surgery date! My doctor approved the alternative RX for for the scar /scar tissue deterrent cream. I still don't know what is in it, but this one is $70 for 30 grams. It is supposed to ship to me tomorrow so I'll left you all know what is in it when I get it.

I've l still have significant back pain because as my Physical Therapist says the more ROM I lose the more stress on my back. I really believe that...along with my left length difference my back hurts most days.

I'm actually excited to have surgery again because I know I'll be better.,.finally!!
 
Ok, my 5th knee surgery is set for April 9 at 9:00 a.m. with a 7 a.m. arrival time. I am ready...I had trouble sleeping last night because of my TKR knee just throbbing...its history repeating itself. Just this time I am not waiting as long as the first time with scar tissue because I actually have a doctor who will listen to me now.

@Jamie my compounded med was shipped to me today. I'll list the ingredients for you but if you'd like more detail then PM me an e-mail address I can scan and send this to you as there is a lot of information listed and also has my information too.

Ingredients are:

1. Baciofen
2. Gabapentin
3. Imipramine
4. Licocaine
5. Nifedipine

Blend it all together and its supposed to be some super concoction for me not to grow aggressive scar tissue!

I'm ready for this:loveshwr: and tired of starting over :tiredwheel: too!!
 
I would be interested in the exact compounding information. I'll PM an email address.
 
For any BoneSmarties out there who are also interested in this compound that Bonnie will be receiving, the more detailed information will be researched by Jo and me. Once that is complete, we will either post it or make it available to others providing Bonnie agrees. What we want to avoid is having numerous members PM her for the data. She has enough to deal with given her approaching surgery!
 
Bonnie,
Thanks for posting your list of ingredients, sounds like the concoction will give you body a chance to heal properly.
In a few weeks you will be on your way,
 
It was 4 years ago today that I had my RTKR, so that means it was 4 years ago today that my Molly died. It's not been an easy 4 years with my husbands near fatal illness and my two more surgeries on my right knee. Now looking forward to my 5th right knee surgery in 12 days, but never giving up hope that it's going to be ok this time. Never give up people, work to have your quality of life back. RIP Molly, my little Princess!
 
Bonnie, April 9 will be the 2nd anniversary of my second/left TKR so I know I'll be thinking of you that day. I hope all goes well and you have an outcome that allows you to enjoy life physically. My best.
 
Bonnie, I have been so wrapped up in skiing and my art, that I just realized you are having surgery again. I do so hope this will work---it did for me. I also had a lot of scar tissue that was binding my knee cap down--it was incredibly painful---and it was a burning pain. My doctor said there was only a little dot of my knee cap that was visible.

After the surgery, I followed the rehab suggestions from the Steadman Clinic--but it sounds like your doctor is on top of the new thinking on adhesions. I am intrigued by the compounded cream.

My friend in ski school who also had a rom of 90 just had back surgery---so I think you are doing the right thing, I will be thinking of you in the next few days and really wish you well.
 
Thank you so much Kelly! When you said "binding burning pain" that describes it perfectly. It's hard to describe that to anyone who has not experienced it. I know completely what you are talking about. I am so ready for April 9 to get here!!
 
Bonnie, the day before my surgery I went on a 20 mile bike ride---my leg was on fire. I could hardly ride back to the parking lot. I lay on the gravel and held my knee saying, Ow, Ow, Ow.

I found the recovery to be tedious. I had no PT for 3 weeks---all i did was heel slides and patella mobilization. Then I did no strenuous pt for the next 5 weeks. I began strength building at 8 weeks. My PT and I decided to take it really easy---my doc told me the if I exercised a hot, swollen knee, I would cause more scar tissue to form. So, I did almost nothing until the swelling was completely down. Then, I began very slowly to exercise.

My Pt told me --yes, it is tedious, but this way, we can feel that we did everything that we could to help the knee.

I still have some scar tissue---I have the velcro sound when I squat down. But, my knee cap still moves and I have not had anymore of that burning pain---you are right it is awful.
 
I'm going to get very clear instructions from my Dr. for Physical Therapy. My doc is highly respected by my Physical Therapist so he will follow doctors orders to the T!
 
Awesome---your doctor sounds like he is very experienced with adhesions---I will be curious to see what he advises for rehab.
 
Never give up people, work to have your quality of life back.
That is a great attitude!!!
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
 
Surgery is done, I'm home been resting with ice and CPM all afternoon. Well, I did it again...I grew massive amounts of scar tissue in the 16 months since my revision. I had been knowing it for months but it's that you have to let it get bad enough to get other people to take you seriously. So again people...if 'you' don't think things are right, they probably are not right. Do not let anyone dismiss your true concerns.

I had general anesthesia and a nerve block in the inner thigh for pain. This way less need for narcotic pain killers early on. The block lasts 12-18 hours and I am numb from just above my knee down through mid shin still. I can walk weight bearing with no problem whatsoever although I'll take one crutch for longer trips around the house today just because of the numbing and general anesthesia making me a little less balanced possibly.

I came home with RX for Tylenol 3 and Ketorolac for my pain killers. They gave me an electro therapy quad sleeve that I velcro on my upper quad down to just above my knee that contracts and relaxes my quad muscle. I have a CPM too.

My Arthrofibrosis was in thick whole sheets again across the front of my knee, binding down my knee cap, a couple inches up into my quad and on the medial and lateral,side as well. Surgery was nearly 2 hours to get it all out.

I start the electro therapy tomorrow, continue the CPM, and start the compounded RX once the dressing comes off which is Sunday.

So when the Doc started my ROM this morning was 80 degrees, and when he was done with me my ROM was 120 degrees. A gain of 40 degrees! Lesson learned...never give up, keep trying, don't settle for what you've got, ask questions and if you don't like the answers then ask someone else!!

I'm going to be great, I just know it!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting, glad you are home and out of surgery, and the arthrofibrosis is gone!
 
@Pumpkln Chris, I had a lot of typos in my post, I've fixed the all (I think) if you read again it may make more sense.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom