Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Waiting in the OS office now. The long awaited appointment with the doctor who took care of my scar tissue in 2013. Hope he can help me again! More later...
 
Hope the specialist can help you this time, too, Bonnie!
Do let us know what he says.
 
Well, I will be having surgery #5 on my right knee. This doctor specializes in the latest techniques in arthroscopic surgery and teaches other doctors. He removed all of my scar tissue after my original knee replacement. He is very empathetic and listens to me. He knew last time I was filled with scar tissue, he knows now that I have it again. He says he can tell it is binding my knee cap, which is a source of significant pain for me.

He says that 15 months after my revision surgery that at the very least I should have been able to go down stairs...I've never been able to do that. He says that they either cut out the scar tissue or just snip it apart and leave it. Kind of like cutting some woven mesh to free up my knee. If the scar tissue is all imflammed he will cut it out.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear you have some answers, and are going to have the scar tissue removed.
Let us know about your surgery date.
 
I accidentally clicked reply too soon...

He told me of a new medication on the market in the past year. A compounded med that is topical and helps with relaxing the tissues after surgery as well as imflammation to keep agressive scar tissue from growing. He says that with the surgery I should have good success.

I have not scheduled yet, I need to get clearance from my doctor and blood work done before they will schedule. I'm thinking April I'll get it done. If this does not help me I don't know what will...I'm just going to think positive!!
 
This sounds very promising, Bonnie. You must find out more about that topical drug he proposes to use. I would be interested to know what it is so I can do a little research. This doctor certainly sounds like a "keeper"!!! I'm optomistic too!
 
Thanks for the clarification, I had to read between the lines.
I am optimistic this will work for you, as I recall your revision did well until the scar tissue (arthrofibrosis) started developing in your knee and you lost ROM and function fairly quickly.
I suspect the hardest part for you is going to be the resting in the early weeks to avoid inflaming your knee and triggering more scar tissue.
:elevate: this is the hardest thing to do!
 
Wish you all the best and hope surgery and recovery goes well as you so deserve.
 
This sounds very promising, Bonnie. You must find out more about that topical drug he proposes to use. I would be interested to know what it is so I can do a little research. This doctor certainly sounds like a "keeper"!!! I'm optomistic too!
Jamie, as soon as I get more info on it, I'll be sure to let you know. He told me what it was but for the life of me I can't remember. He said it was something they started using in the last year so it's too new to have helped me prior.
 
@RunA42K Hey Bonnie, just got caught up on your thread. The other day i read some of your thread and was saddened but today im happy and optimistic. They are going in to remove the scar tissue. !! You have been through so much. We will be praying for a successful surgery in April. Best wishes and hoping for the best for you, Iceman
 
I have my pre op exam for clearance scheduled for March 16, once that is done I can schedule surgery. The way my knee felt all day today I sure am ready!

Thanks for the kind words everyone, this continuing saga of my right knee needs a happy ending!!
 
And me ,i was having m,u,a but have got heart arithmyer so could not have the opp,at the moment i am trying to exercise my leg in to more than 95 per cent, painfull,mal west sussex.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
 
Hi how did it go wrong, i had 85 でgat two wks,stillnot much better after alot of hard work ,i do not get pain now until i try and bend the knee ,allways tripping ,hope goes ok for you .

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
 
Thank you for the birthday wishes @Nana moon 27, you're the best!

I am 63 now and I've been in pain and struggling with this right knee since I was 58...I say Welcome 63! This is the year that I am going to get it right once and for all.

I had my exam with my family practice doc yesterday for my surgery clearance. Of course it went like a breeze, never thought for a minute that it wouldn't. I am just waiting to hear now from the OS office to see when they can schedule me in for surgery.

The scar cream that my OS wanted me to use after scar tissue surgery is formulated with ingredients for each individual patient. The compounding pharmacy called me on Thursday to tell me that my insurance would not cover it (surprise surprise) and that it would cost $1,000.00. They offered me an alternative scar cream and when I asked, 'what is the difference?' they said, well it does not have this ingredient, or that ingredient, and it has less of this, that, and the other! I told them that given my history I want to take what the doctor wrote out for me but also hated to have the spend $1,000. They are faxing the ingredients from the alternative med to my doctor, but really...although I hate to spend the money, I certainly will as if my doctor truly believes that this will help me, then I'll do it. In the grand scheme of things the cream at $1,000 (30 grams) is still cheaper than having surgery again on down the road.

When I get a surgery date...I'll let you know.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom