Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Good for you, Bonnie! That's great to see.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
WTG @RunA42K that is truly amazing and your heart rate is fabulous!!! You must be so proud!!!

[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

You are amazing xxxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Sweet! ..... &I think it's hilarious your exercycle gives you positive feedback like that! ..... mine just stolidly gives me the basic numbers (time & distance) with no cheers whatsoever.:whistle:
Cheers, Al
 
Wow!!! You are rockin'!!!! Do you have one of the new Garmin wrist trainers???
 
Jamie, I have about every electronic gadget known to mankind! The one on my bike is called a Garmin Edge 1000. It has GPS, distance, speed, preloaded maps, etc. I use it with a Garmin heart rate monitor and a speed and cadence sensor so I can get a true reading of my workout. For example...with the GPS alone one day I rode 12 miles, no HR monitor, no speed and cadence sensor. With just the GPS it told me that I burned 349 calories...well quite honestly I could have coasted downhill for the same 12 miles and it still would have told me I burned 349 calories. So when I add the HR and speed and cadence I get a true reading of my excursion level and thus a true fitness and calorie monitoring. I have one of those wrist things that count steps but they don't do a bit of good on a bike unless you wear a HR monitor with it to measure excursion. I have a Garmin Forerunner 410, Forerunner 210, Forerunner 15, Garmin Edge 500 and Garmin Edge 1000 and a Polar Loop. I was thinking of getting a Polar HR monitor just for workouts at the gym. The Garmins are all about forward motion pretty much, I'd like to know my fitness level when I am lifting weights and doing other types of cardio indoors.

Oh...and my knee still does not bend much. It is all I can do to get the bike pedaling, it takes about a mile to get it working good. On Thursday the 13th of November (my Mom's 91st birthday) I am seeing my OS about my other knee. I'm feeling some things that I don't like and would like to be proactive where as with my TKR knee I just ran on it until it wouldn't go anymore!
 
Hi Bonnie @RunA42K, I have not been on your thread in a while and I am so sorry to hear that your are going through such a rough time with your ROM. I am in awe of your achievements in spite of your lack of flexion. You are truly an inspiration.

I was a runner myself for years and it took me some time to accept the fact that I would not run again. There was nothing else that gave me the boost that running did so I did not do anything. Well, I did do something - I gained 40 pounds and then 20 more. UGH. Still working on getting the weight off and still looking for that "high" that I used to get from running. I have a rowing machine that I am getting back into - it seems to be the closest thing that I can get excited about. My ROM is still 90 and it stiffens up a lot after rowing but I add time everyday and I hope to see improvements soon.

Please take care of yourself and don't overdo things. I'll be thinking of you and sending healing thoughts your way.
 
Thank you so much @71Beetle! When I talk about cycling, it's not because I even like cycling...really, I don't! But I can't run anymore and I refuse to gain that 40 plus 20 pounds you were talking about. So I do what I can do to stay fit and that just happens to be cycling and weight training too. I refuse to let a knee replacement and a total knee revision on the same knee be an excuse to be a couch potato. No whining here... It may not be my exercise of choice but I'll do it...because I can!

Good luck to you...we'll see what my OS says on the 13th about both knees!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
great work out. you must have some hills around there to get that 159 bpm.
hard to do that on the level.
 
great work out. you must have some hills around there to get that 159 bpm.
hard to do that on the level.
Its petty darn flat here in the Texas Pat, so I make myself work hard. I have a very high resistance that I set my gears to and I just make it happen. No pleasure cursing when I ride, I work it so I can have the results that I had as a runner. I am getting quads of steel!!
 
@RunA42K Hi Bonnie , long time no read . Im catching up on your thread as its been a while. You are such a inspiration to me and others. When im exhausted after work and dont feel like going to the gym , i get my butt in there and do my thing. Ive been doing more cardio than ever in my life. For you to do what you do is very inspiring. I plan on getting in the best physical shape in my life by my 50th birthday in April. Im so sorry to read that you are convinced scar tissue has taken over. Do you have any idea what procedure needs to be done , short of a revision. I believe @maryo52 had some type of surgical procedure to cut out the scar tissue. I doubt a MUA would fix this . You deserve to have your knee repaired properly and ill pray that one day it will be. Well Bonnie, i hope you have a nice holiday season with your family. Bundle up , weather is getting abit nippy , even here in California. Best wishes , Ivan
 
@RunA42K Hi Bonnie , long time no read . Im catching up on your thread as its been a while. You are such a inspiration to me and others. When im exhausted after work and dont feel like going to the gym , i get my butt in there and do my thing. Ive been doing more cardio than ever in my life. For you to do what you do is very inspiring. I plan on getting in the best physical shape in my life by my 50th birthday in April. Im so sorry to read that you are convinced scar tissue has taken over. Do you have any idea what procedure needs to be done , short of a revision. I believe @maryo52 had some type of surgical procedure to cut out the scar tissue. I doubt a MUA would fix this . You deserve to have your knee repaired properly and ill pray that one day it will be. Well Bonnie, i hope you have a nice holiday season with your family. Bundle up , weather is getting abit nippy , even here in California. Best wishes , Ivan
Hey @icep707 so nice to hear from you. I've had surgery once before just for scar tissue removal. That was my 3rd out of my 4 knee surgeries on my right knee. We'll see what the doc says on the 13th and I'll be sure to report in.
 
Hi Bonnie, Have to go to work, so haven't read all your posts. But what I've read is inspiring. I'm new to the forum - not new to knee stuff. I'm 62 years old, ran my last marathon in 2007. In 2008 was diagnosed with a torn meniscus, in my left knee - told by my ortho no running...told by my PT no running....well, I still ran but only 5 to 8K's. So far so good...but can't jump rope with the Grand Kids either! Wanted to run a half marathon with my grandson (his first) and couldn't. Well, now my right knee seems to be going too...and I'm mad...and frustrated...I want to go down fighting. Right now I can't bike but maybe I can kayak...if someone is willing to tote it for me LOL
 
Hi Bonnie! Nice to meet you! I love the very active folks here in BS. I'm almost 8 weeks post LTKR. The last arthroscopic surgery I has, I was hiking 8miles in the mountains by this time. I can not believe that I'm having such a slow recovery this time. In June I'm doing part of the Camino de Santiago, a 500 mile hike across Spain. I better be ready!! I gave up running, although I wasn't really much of one, so no biggie. I was, however a racquetball player which I gave up for my knees. I only cycle indoors to try to build up my quads for my knees before surgeries. Too boring. I've made a game out of trying to beat my mileage, but still boring. My passion is hiking in the hills and mountains. I also do weight training. I can not wait to do squats again. Haven't done that in 10 years.

How long did it take you to get back to "normal"? Also, what is a "revision"?

Thanks in advance. -- Joni
 
Finally got in to see my surgeon yesterday so here is pretty much the summary thus far.

I had X-rays of knees and hips. Dr. Incavo gave me a cortisone shot in my left knee. They wrote up orders for a MRI on my left knee, but I am waiting for insurance pre approval until I can schedule it. Some cartridge loss but not sure how bad till the MRI results. My right leg length difference is just over 1 full centimeter - he said that is significant and to ALWAYS wear my shoes with the lifted orthotics and I do 99.9% of the time). If I ended up with another knee replacement then they would make my legs the same length. My hips are fine it is the length thing that makes my left hip ache all the time. He felt sure I could get 10 more degrees out of my knee replacement knee in time, with working at it. The sharp pain I get sometimes in the TKR knee is my knee cap he said. They way it tracks. Maybe taping would help before exercise.

Walking hurts more than riding a bike so I will just keep biking and see where this left knee takes me.
 
Bonnie hope this news gives you hope. When my knee hurt it was easier to ride the bike than walk, too. It also affected my back and my hip as I was always favoring the bad knee. Did the doctor tell you what to do for the knee cap? Hope you can get to a more comfortable state soon.
 
Hi Bonnie, haven't been on for a long time, so just getting up on your thread. First of all congratulations on your bike riding, you are doing FANTASTIC!!
But I was a little disappointed with your OS, did he not take any blame for your leg coming out shorter than the other, which is probably why you are having problem walking. I know my revisionist took a long time working onmy tibia to be sure both legs would be the same length, that's why my surgery was around 4 hrs long, but the length did come up perfect! I'm sorry I shouldn't be comparing, every knee and every circumstance is different!
Bonnie, I do wish you the best and I'm sure your ROM will improve with time.
 
Hi Bonnie! Nice to meet you! I love the very active folks here in BS. I'm almost 8 weeks post LTKR. The last arthroscopic surgery I has, I was hiking 8miles in the mountains by this time. I can not believe that I'm having such a slow recovery this time. In June I'm doing part of the Camino de Santiago, a 500 mile hike across Spain. I better be ready!! I gave up running, although I wasn't really much of one, so no biggie. I was, however a racquetball player which I gave up for my knees. I only cycle indoors to try to build up my quads for my knees before surgeries. Too boring. I've made a game out of trying to beat my mileage, but still boring. My passion is hiking in the hills and mountains. I also do weight training. I can not wait to do squats again. Haven't done that in 10 years.

How long did it take you to get back to "normal"? Also, what is a "revision"?

Thanks in advance. -- Joni
@Djbrund Hi Joni, I am not sure that I know what normal is anymore. I guess normal for me is whatever I can do without pain. As fast as revision goes, there are several meanings...like some people get their plastic spacer replaced in the original TRK, in my case it was a total knee revision where as they took out all of the metal components of the original TKR after 2 years and 8 months and gave me a totally new knee of a different brand with much longer stems going down my tibia and up my femur.

It took me about 10 months after the revision to work my biking miles up to 17.4 (outside) so far. Because of my leg length difference after my revision, biking does not hurt me but walking several miles does. I love weight training now too, although I never cared about being in a gym I only wanted to be running outdoors. Since that is no longer possible, I do what I can do and that is bike and weight train. No excuses not to exercise with a TKR. Just do what you can and be thankful that you can, is the way I look at it.
 
Hi Bonnie, haven't been on for a long time, so just getting up on your thread. First of all congratulations on your bike riding, you are doing FANTASTIC!!
But I was a little disappointed with your OS, did he not take any blame for your leg coming out shorter than the other, which is probably why you are having problem walking. I know my revisionist took a long time working onmy tibia to be sure both legs would be the same length, that's why my surgery was around 4 hrs long, but the length did come up perfect! I'm sorry I shouldn't be comparing, every knee and every circumstance is different!
Bonnie, I do wish you the best and I'm sure your ROM will improve with time.

Hi @Oldie so nice to hear from you again. Yesterday Dr. Incavo said that my leg ended up longer because of the larger plastic spacer that he had to use to make my knee fit snuggly. He said that my first knee was so 'sloppy loose' (his words) that it was so unstable and causing all the friction that caused so much scar tissue. He said if I had my other knee replaced then he could make my legs the same length. I don't know what I like worse...going through another TKR or being lop sided the rest of my life with an aching hip???

Thanks for stopping in.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom