Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Hi Bonnie, do you still have a tight band feeling around your knee? I'm posting something about my knees if I can find my old thread. I have a German made Briria(sp) bike and love it. No throwing my leg over the bar any more.
 
Dr Luu did a re evaluation on me for Cigna insurance today because they are requiring it. Icing now then will get a patch of dexamethasone and head to work. His measurement for me sitting and bending my knee to the point of pain was 90 degrees and that is what Cigna gets. I am going to get an appt with the OS as I'm not sure that scar tissue is taking over again.
 
Hi Bonnie,

I loved the pictures of you on your bike!

I hope your OS can give you some encouraging news about that knee - please let us know!
:friends:
 
Bonnie,
I hope the scar tissue is not a problem for you, let us know how it goes. I know you are wanting so much more ROM. My knee hurts a lot, and I have good ROM :shrug:. Together we have a perfect knee. The challenge is who gets the good parts and who gets the not so good parts. :heehee:
 
Tomorrow I am seeing my OS at 2:30 pm. Last week I made an appointment and they said that they could not see me until October 23rd. I spent Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday taking pain pills. I don't have any pain pills left but my husband had 4 Vicodin from a tooth extraction he had in July so I took his.

My knee is stiff and it hurts, it feels like I have that tight clamp strangling me again. It hurts when I stand from sitting or after driving in the car. My first steps are always with a limp now. My entire right leg hurts. Most likely because my knee hurts, that affects my gait and that makes my entire leg/hip/lower back hurt. I got to sleep with my leg aching and I wake up with my leg aching.

I know what it feels like to be growing scar tissue and having it strangle me. Just like before, it affected my ROM first and then it really started hurting. As you all know my ROM as gone no where with this revision and now it certainly is going no where and I have pain and swelling in my knee.

I don't blame the doctor, I blame me that I am one of the very few people who grow
aggressive scar tissue. We'll see what he says tomorrow, but this time I am not waiting 1 1/2 years if I don't like the answer. I'll go somewhere else if I need to.

Just incase anyone asks...No I have not been walking, or bike riding, although I am busier now at work, I actually do more sitting than I did before, in other words I am NOT on my feet any extra because I am working more. As I type this my entire leg just aches...some times I feel like I have a burning sensation in my knee joint and I have an ache on the side of my calf at the end of where my implant would be in my tibia...

I don't know, more answers tomorrow - I hope!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
:console2:Bonnie,
I hope you find some answers tomorrow. No blaming you either, we are what we are and cannot change that.
There some cutting edge MD's on scar tissue. There is someone in Vail at the clinic there. Others have been mentioned but I cannot remember where.
Do you find relief in your pool? I find the water very soothing.
Sending you positive thoughts and prayers that you find some answers tomorrow,
 
:console2:Bonnie,
I hope you find some answers tomorrow. No blaming you either, we are what we are and cannot change that.
There some cutting edge MD's on scar tissue. There is someone in Vail at the clinic there. Others have been mentioned but I cannot remember where.
Do you find relief in your pool? I find the water very soothing.
Sending you positive thoughts and prayers that you find some answers tomorrow,
I still can't bend my knee in the pool Chris, I have trouble walking up and down the stairs in the pool. For that matter I still can't walk downstairs without hiking up my hip. The last time I peddled my bike over a week ago, I had to pedal with my heel. No bend!
 
Bonnie,
Words cannot describe how disappointed I am for you, to have the scar tissue yet again. :sad:
 
I have no new answers other than I must wait for one full year to be evaluated for scar tissue. That one year mark would be December 2. In the meantime I am supposed to take Advil and Tramadol and heat and stretch and heat and stretch, etc. After my appointment I was so bummed out that I came home and heated my knee and then went and rode my bike for 10 miles which stretches it out.

Sonja, I never said I would not be walking the 1/2 marathon in January, one just never knows what the future may bring but I always keep my glass 1/2 full. I quite honestly don't care about doing it one way or another. Kind of a been there done that sort of thing. After "RUNNING" 24 full marathons walking 13.1 is not that exciting to me. I think I have gotten over running. I just want to be active and feel good. I know that a 1/2 marathon is a big deal for you since you've never done anything like that before.

Its still early, I can either start feeling better or I won't, it's too soon to tell. But if I want to do it, I will...I''m not worried about training...remember i ran the same 1/2 marathon on my first knee replacement without training. What ever will be will be. Last evening I got on my bike with my HR monitor and speed and cadence. I rode till I burned 550 calories which was just over 30 minutes. I do so many other things that I am not the least bit worried about walking 13.1 miles, I know I can do it regardless. I never say never!
 
Bonnie,

I did not mean to upset you! You are in superb physical condition; I am the one trying to get better everyday! I know how many marathons and half marathons you have run, and I am in awe of you.

We had a great time when I was there and I am hoping that your "steely" resolve will guide you to the finish line! I am sorry for making the assumption that 2016 might be netter, You are correct; this is my first and probably last 1/2 marathon.:console2:

Well, except I might do one with Abby in Disneyworld! That would be a lot of fun and I don't plan on losing the conditioning we are working so hard on!

You do what's best for you, and if we are in the Houston 1/2 marathon together; great:happydance:
If not, that's ok too. You are a champion already!:friends:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Bonnie, I'm so sorry to hear that you're still having problems. I'm going to tag @Josephine to come and catch up with what you've been going through. Maybe she will have some suggestions for you.

I do have a question, though. When you apply heat to your knee and then exercise like you did riding that 10 miles, how does that work for you? Are you able to cycle comfortably? Do you have pain right afterwards? If so, where is the pain? Or does pain come later....the next day or two?

I know this is all terribly frustrating for you. But I hope you can still keep that glass half full and keep searching for a resolution to the problem. I'm not giving up on you and hope you don't give up on yourself either!!! (((HUGS))))
 
@RunA42K
Sorry you have to wait, I hope your pain is being taken care of with your new meds.
& the heating & stretching help.
Thinking of you,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
@RunA42K
Sorry you have to wait, I hope your pain is being taken care of with your new meds.
& the heating & stretching help.
Thinking of you,
Diana :flwrysmile:

The meds are helping. I start the day with one Tramadol and two Advil/Mortin. Before I go to sleep Advil/Motrin and Tramadol again. The doctor said my knee was inflamed and it seems that the meds are helping with the inflammation. Why is it inflamed in the first place...time will tell. Scar tissue...maybe, I have to wait one year which is December 2, before they will investigate that.
 
Bonnie, I'm so sorry to hear that you're still having problems. I'm going to tag @Josephine to come and catch up with what you've been going through. Maybe she will have some suggestions for you.

I do have a question, though. When you apply heat to your knee and then exercise like you did riding that 10 miles, how does that work for you? Are you able to cycle comfortably? Do you have pain right afterwards? If so, where is the pain? Or does pain come later....the next day or two?

I know this is all terribly frustrating for you. But I hope you can still keep that glass half full and keep searching for a resolution to the problem. I'm not giving up on you and hope you don't give up on yourself either!!! (((HUGS))))

When I heat my knee Jamie, it does feel better and it makes it stretch more. So I get on my bike and although I can't pedal with my foot in the pedal proper position, the more I ride the better the position gets. Above all I try to NOT hike my hip when I ride because that is part of the ache I've been dealing with. So I may start off peddling with close to my heel, they after a bit the middle (arch) area of the foot, then after a bit still near the forefoot (ball of foot but not quite). Peddling definitely loosens it up some. My OS said I have scar tissue but says it still feels 'stretchy' was his word. My Physical Therapist says that he can feel some spring in my knee when he bends it but I get to the point of pain then everything tightens! After riding I don't have pain, but more like stiffness sets in. The next day the stiffens does not keep me from riding again. I just have to keep re-stretching it out again.

I just call myself a continuing piece of work! One way or another I'll get there...Like I said, my glass is always 1/2 full, I'm never a quitter!!
 
No, you are definitely not a quitter. Actually, it sounds to me like the bicycling and anti-inflammatory meds are helpful. At least you're keeping mobility going. We're gonna be here for you if you need to vent a bit. Hang in there!!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom