Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Today just out of the blue the RN from my OS's office called just to see how I was doing...wow, I never had that happen with my first TKR OS! My PT is writing up a narrative and faxing all my PT records before my appointment next week. I have my TKR knee taped up because of the knee cap not tracking right. I have my back/ SI joint taped up, and today at PT my ROM was 109, my hip continues to constantly ache. I'm hoping I can start getting some relief soon because starting and ending each day with Tramadol just isn't right.
 
Wow Bonnie, I just got caught up on your thread, haven't been on in a long time, and I too have to express how sorry I am that you are going thru all this. Your revision should have been completely well by now. I cannot imagine how younare able to go to work taking Tramadol and Motrin every morning, I would be zonked!
Hope sincerely that you find answers soon at your next appt.!! will be praying for you.
 
Wow Bonnie, I just got caught up on your thread, haven't been on in a long time, and I too have to express how sorry I am that you are going thru all this. Your revision should have been completely well by now. I cannot imagine how younare able to go to work taking Tramadol and Motrin every morning, I would be zonked!
Hope sincerely that you find answers soon at your next appt.!! will be praying for you.
Thank you....Maybe I am zonked @Oldie I look like I am tired...1/2 asleep - all the time!
 
Bonnie,
How did your OS appointment go on the 17th?
Josephine is right you can tape your knee cap, may take a time or two to get it just right. Have your PT show you.
 
Bonnie, after some time away from this forum, I have been back on the past few days and catching up. Let me add to the chorus of those wishing the end of your troubles. I hope the soon to arrive new year is a much better one for you.

You have been through many issues and I suspect your instincts are on target regarding your knee cap pain/tracking, hip pain, leg length discrepancy, and orthotic insert. I would have the orthotic rechecked for adjustment. That could be a good and quick fix for the hip. I would think you could do a makeshift adjustment via over the counter inserts and/or two different shoes for the short time you would be w/o your custom made orthotic.

I know you are frustrated about your ROM. I do think that 110 is good enough for most everyday things including biking. My left knee, due to my unfortunate Rx and overuse mishap in still early recovery, does not have great bend. I doubt it's much more than 110. Being pain free is probably more important. I hope you are able to get your adhesions addressed soon by your OS. Maybe this will also positively impact your knee cap tracking.

I'll try to follow your thread a little better and look forward to good news.
 
Bonnie, I'm so sorry to hear your still having problems. I agree with Josephine on the taping. It has been a blessing for me with the loose PCL and laxity. Glad you're seeing Dr.Encavo soon and that he is being so thorough. I met someone at a party the other night and he went through similar problems as you and had just had surgery with Dr. E. Thinking good, positive thoughts for a successful resolution of your pain.
Dorothy
 
I didn't come back and talk about my appointment because it was so frustrating...I'll catch up. But tonight it is New Years Eve and we have a party on here every year. I wanted to go to the party thread and saw I had posts on my thread. I hope you all had a Merry Christmas and let's all have a happy new year!!
 
Bonnie, this has been such a long road for you. But I hope you continue to seek answers. You know we're always here for you. We'll help if you get frustrated or tired of "the long search for answers." I do believe the answer is out there....you just have to find the right person and have all the issues in line to make the light bulb go on for him. (((HUGS))) to you!!!
 
I never came back and posted after my doctors appointment on Dec. 17, there was just nothing for me to say. I felt and still do feel so helpless. Today I said to my husband..."Do you think I should go get another opinion about my knee?" He just gave me this blank stare. I said what? He says, "I don't know what to say because you are already going to the best surgeon in Houston now!" I said, ok, I'll just wait it out until my knee does not function at all and then I'll go back!

When I went in on the 17th, I complained of loss of ROM, and the sharp pain that I get when I stand just in the right spot or how I can't put full weight on my TKR knee after trying to bend it, it just hurts and makes me jump with sudden pain. I asked about scar tissue, and the doctor said, "well, I could go in there and cut out some scar tissue but what are you going to do if it comes back again?" I told him, I don't know, I'd hope that it wouldn't...

We talked about my left knee (my real one) and the cortisone shot that I got in November. While the shot helped I can still feel that knee going the way that the right did years ago. I told him I could live with it for now.

He wanted to know what I wanted..."I wanted my knee to bend and not hurt. I wanted my hip and back to stop aching since he made my right leg so long, my gait is so off. I told him just sitting here in this chair, my TKR knee is not hurting, just if I use it, but I couldn't live the way that I am right now because my hip hurts so much that I start each and every day with 2 Motrin and 1 Tramadol. It wakes me up at night, it makes my entire left leg hurt." (My right leg is the TKR.)

We talked about my shoe lift again. He never in the first place gave me an RX with measurements to get it made, I sought that help out on my own after being told that my leg length difference was within the acceptable range from him and his PA, that was last year. Well it is not acceptable to me! So he said I should get my left shoe lift remade. He suggested that he could go back in and make the plastic spacer in my TKR smaller to help with the leg length and the ROM, but then took it all back saying not a good idea, it could make it unstable and also risking infection. So I returned to my Podiatrist on December 18. This time they are raising me up one full inch on the left side. I have the 1/2 inch original lift in my shoe and a temporary 1/2 inch with it. It is helping but I still have hip pain. I get my permanent lift on Thursday January 8th...thank goodness. I wake up during the night and hobble to the kitchen and get more Advil that never takes the ache away. I am afraid that I am going to damage my hip because now it makes a popping sound...out loud! It had never done that before. Maybe I should go to the HIP side of Bonesmart and ask whats up about that?

So in a nut shell, he told me that I am way better off than a lot of people, that I am young and I should not risk more surgeries and infection by going back in. I told him that I would be back when my ROM dropped back down below 90 like my last knee.

So I guess I will just go back and complain in February...by then my left knee will be hurting more and maybe my insurance will let me have an MRI. I do wonder that if I never had a knee cap tracking problem until about 10 months post op...could it be scar tissue pushing my knee cap out of alignment? So I feel like I am alone, I didn't even get the response I had hoped for from my husband.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Bonnie, so sorry you didn't get any answers at your dr's appt. He may be best surgeon but does lack some empathy! Sincerely hope you find some help,if it was me I would get another opinion. Don't give up!! You deserve a painfree knee!
 
Bonnie, here is a list of folks who have written papers on and speak about athrofibrosis

Dr. Gill, Boston, MA
Dr. Colin Eakin, Palo Alto Medical Foundation, California
Dr. Steadman, Steadman-Hawkins Clinic, Vail, Colorado
Dr. Peter Millet, Steadman Hawkins, Vail (as of 10/1/05)
Dr. Frank Noyes, Cincinnati Sports Clinic, Ohio
Dr. Wojitys, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Dr. Folk in South Carolina
Dr. Lonnie Paulos, Pensacola, Florida
Dr. Mike Terry, University of Chicago
Dr. Shelbourne, Indianapolis, IN
Dr. Flandry, Hughston Clinic, Columbus, Georgia
Dr. Tomas Sculo, HSS
Dr. Answorth Allen HSS, NYC
Dr. Paulo, Pensacola, FL

They do not all agree about the treatment for arthrofibrosis Dr. Gill used to work with Dr. Millet. Millet and Noyes were trained at Steadman. I think Dr. Shelbourne was too.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom