Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Still waiting to hear when I can get an Mri on my so called good knee. My cortisone shot was 3 days ago and I was awakened during the night and this morning with a very achy knee joint despite that cortisone shot. Woe is me...
 
Bonnie....so sorry I'm just now catching up with your posts. Somehow I didn't get an alert these past weeks that you were posting!

I agree with your idea of catching the second knee before it gets too bad. That made a HUGE difference for me with my second TKR. I think a trashed joint makes a lot of extra work for the surgeon.

I loved your descriptions of all your electronic gadgets!!! Oh my......you must have not only a shoe closet but also an electronics closet too!!:heehee: Think I better get stock in Garmin again!!!:loll: I love that company....it's based here in Olathe and we know folks that work there. It is a fabulous employer! And they make good stuff too.....

I haven't made it over to the shoe store to get my professional quality shoes yet. But I'm getting closer. I think after Christmas it will be time to take care of "me" again!!!
 
Bonnie, I completely agree with getting your second knee done before it is too bad.

I recently had my left knee replaced. I probably could have struggled on with it for another year, or maybe even two, but it was getting painful, I couldn't do stairs without difficulty, and I knew that it was bone on bone.

I felt that I might have jumped the gun and gone too early, but my surgeon told me that during the operation he found the joint was "quite inflamed and really ready for replacement".

I had the TKR before I'd lost any strength in my quads and before I had any distortion of tendons or ligaments.

The result is that I am having a quicker-than-usual recovery, much faster than my right TKR. I'm glad I got it done when I did.
 
Hi Bonnie ! Just dropping by to say hi and to let you know we hope you are well. Iceman
Hi @icep707 so great to see you pop in. It is always nice to hear from old friends. I hope you are doing fantastic!
 
Bonnie, I completely agree with getting your second knee done before it is too bad.

I recently had my left knee replaced. I probably could have struggled on with it for another year, or maybe even two, but it was getting painful, I couldn't do stairs without difficulty, and I knew that it was bone on bone.

I felt that I might have jumped the gun and gone too early, but my surgeon told me that during the operation he found the joint was "quite inflamed and really ready for replacement".

I had the TKR before I'd lost any strength in my quads and before I had any distortion of tendons or ligaments.

The result is that I am having a quicker-than-usual recovery, much faster than my right TKR. I'm glad I got it done when I did.
Hi @Caryl,

I sure did not know about the left TKR. My job has me so busy that I do not have time to sit and read like I used to. I think that what you said is VERY SMART!!! With my first (right) knee I was in denial. "Only other people have knee replacements...not me!" As a result I let it go on until my knee was just trashed. I was always told that much of the ROM you achieve after TKR depends on what ROM you had before TKR surgery. Obviously, if one's joint is bone on bone, all the muscle atrophied and in really bad shape generally then you are at a negative going out the gate. I think that if this left knee of mine turns out to be a true problem, I will not wait like I did before, just like you. I've worked hard the past year building these quads and I won't let it waste away. I totally agree that having the surgery while you are still strong and joint is not trashed that the outcome has got to be better! Congratulations on your new knee!!
 
Bonnie, I completely agree with getting your second knee done before it is too bad.
Me, too! I agree, as well---life and time are too precious to be hurting---if you have time to get it done, you can be enjoying life sooner!

You have worked tremendously hard and diligently at strengthening your legs---the time is right!
 
Well here is my little update since I have the day off work today...I've been working so much. Sonja @RestAssured even said I looked tired. Our business has 4 stores, there have been 3 firings, in 3 stores including mine...and from my store as well, a promotion to another store and a resignation, so we are down 3 people. I've hired a couple of new girls but they are not up to speed yet to fly on their own...thus I work! When things fall apart at work, the good employees come together, pick up the pieces and do the work until the dust settles and things fall back into place again. We are still waiting for things to fall back into place!

My insurance company refused to let me have an MRI on my left knee. They want me to do other things first. Like have injections, which I had on my last doctor visit. Have PT which I've been doing for 4 years now! I guess I have to wait for this cortisone shot to wear off and start having knee pain again before we can ask again. So for now I am jumping through hoops for the insurance company. Meanwhile there is NEVER a time when my left hip is not aching, just continual throbbing. It's all because of my knees and leg length difference which I can do nothing about until insurance lets me. I start each and every day with two Motrin and one Tramadol, every day!!

I guess I told you after my doctor visit that the source of my sharp pain in my revision knee is my knee cap not tracking properly. When I get it taped up, it feels better. But I do not have access to taping everyday. In addition to the knee cap, I have that strangling tight feeling and Sonja can tell you how much my knee bends...The doctor won't evaluate me for scar tissue growth until one year which is coming up soon. Then of course I'll be starting over with a new higher deductible again!! I wish whoever in my insurance company is denying me my MRI, could have my hip pain!!!
 
Hi RunA42k I'm about the same as you getting lots of pain and swelling in my left knee now on pain killers most days,will be seeing my O.S early January so starting to accept I will need a LTKR early in the new year.
Look forward to hearing how you get on.Take care
 
@RunA42K I hear you. I'm the same. My leg length difference of 2 cm impacts on life. My last revision has left me with misalignment of my left leg. It has a knock on effect with my ankles, hips and back. The pain never leaves me. I am waiting for a CT scan. I am at last being listened to, it has taken six months to reach this stage. I too wish that the professionals could experience just a fraction of what we are going through and then perhaps they would do something earlier instead of playing the waiting game.

I am 'lucky' that I don't have to work any more. It must be very hard to get up each morning knowing that you must go into work and manage the pain.
 
@RunA42K , I know how tired you are! I saw it on your face, and in your body language! The pain that hip is giving you will continue without "evening" up the left leg. After seeing your orthotic inserts, I thought about how they made up for the difference in height. After a while, which it has been, those start to compress, and start causing pain. I had orthotics before knee surgery, and they told me they had to be replaced every 6 months! Got the first bill, and it helped me decide on replacements.

I was shocked at the loss do the ROM in your knee! I can't believe your doctor isn't willing to do anything until after the first of the year! He knows you do PT, biking, and anything you can to help; now, why won't he?
 
Hi all - My revision knee will be one year old on Tuesday December 2. I guess in January I'll start pressing the issue of ROM again, or should I say lack of it! This hip pain wears me down though. I have one refill left on Tramadol and today two Motrin and one Tramadol don't even touch the pain. I'm waiting for 4 hours to pass so I can take a much needed Hydocodone, where I only have several left...I save what I have for when I really need them. You remember how stingy my OS is with pain pills.

Maybe too I will go back to the doctor who made my orthotics for the leg length thing and see if they need adjusting. I've not wanted to go in because I don't want to be without them for even one day! But I guess I'm going to have to.

It's true, this is a waiting game for sure...let's see how much we can hurt before they have to step up and do something!

Btw Sonja...was the party still going when you got there? I lol when I think of that silly flight! Not even water!!!!!!
 
Bonnie,
I am sorry to hear how long you are having to wait to get the care you need to determine what is going on with you knee and hip. Your PT should be able to help you with the leg length difference, it can be trial and error.
Sending your positive thoughts and prayers for a resolution to this conundrum with your knee and hip.
 
@RestAssured @busylizzie @yiayia3
My revision knee will be one year old on Tuesday December 2. I guess in January I'll start pressing the issue of ROM again, or should I say lack of it! This hip pain wears me down though.

Btw Sonja...was the party still going when you got there? I lol when I think of that silly flight! Not even water!!!!!!

Bonnie, your OS won't look at your knee in December? He needs to do something before the end of the year, that way your insurance won't hassle you as much as you having the deductible at the beginning of the new year. I know you are tired, but after Dec 2nd, try and get him to make a decision.

I will be praying for you. You will be on my prayer list!

As for "Spirit" or El' Cheapo airlines, they advertise as a no frills airline, and boy are they right! They claim that taking extra water on board will add unnecessary weight to the plane! I have news for them! They also brag about getting "comfy" with your neighbors, and the people in front of you. This is because they are taking older planes, and jamming more rows into each one! If the person in front of you wants to recline, heaven help your knees! My right knee got smacked before we ever left the ground, by this large lady who reclined her seat. That wasn't the worst! She kept tossing and turning during the duration of the flight, and kept smacking my knees!:censored: Meanwhile, the couple next to me, no not Mom and Sis because we had to pay extra to choose our seats, used me as a doorstop. She was putting her head on her husbands shoulder, and sliding under the arm of my chair. She kept moving trying to get comfy as well! :groan:

So, I am trying to figure out; how does carrying water and beverages AND snacks for PURCHASE, plus adding additional rows to a worn out plane, make the plane weigh LESS?:thud:

Oops, I forgot about the party! We flew up late, because the crew couldn't get to their flight on time in Chicago, so we were even later! We made a grand entrance, saw everyone for an hour, ate, went to cousins for a couple of hours, and then had a horrible night in the hotel, only to wake up at 4:00 am this morning to fly back to Houston.

At least I got a nap before I typed this, because I might have said how I really felt about Spirit Airlines and the extra they were trying to charge me that I had already paid for, to carry on my duffle bag!:heehee:

I read more and they are adding more jets to their fleet! They claim they are new; well maybe, when one of the other carriers was in its infancy! Both planes going up and back, were worn out. We kept hearing strange noises, and I just thought; well at least we got away! I think they must pick up old planes and slap a coat of paint on them. They wanted US to clean the plane by getting out the used tissues that were in the seat back pocket from other travelers! Not this woman! More hand sanitizer please!:xmark::bignono:

The flight attendants have one of the easiest jobs. They don't bother checking to see if people are using seat belts, and they might come if the call light comes on.

Something else I hadn't seen since they instituted the safety of the people in 1991; the pilots took turns going to the restroom, while a flight attendant "guarded" the front! If someone wanted to bring that plane down, they could have blown right by her and into the cockpit!:bignono:


Now, for my rating of Spirit Airlines between 1-10.......... LOL :rotfl: A 0
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well done, i am back up to 64 length in pool now but afraid calories still not coming off.
 
So for now I am jumping through hoops for the insurance company.

It's true, this is a waiting game for sure...let's see how much we can hurt before they have to step up and do something!
Unfortunately, the insurance companies are the "tail that wags the dog" these days!
 
Well I have myself another doctor appointment with my OS on December 17. My left leg/knee/hip/lower back pain wakes me at night. I can barely move when I get out of bed. I feel like I'm 100 years old. I start each and every morning with 2 Motrin and one Tramadol. That gets my day started then more of the same drugs in the evening.

Really...if all was was nomal and well I shouldn't have to take those meds every morning just to get going...right? My revision knee was exactly one year old on December 2. My PT says my SI joint is inflamed and my entire left side is tight as a drum. Physical Therapy this week as been more about my back and hip. He adjusted me twice this week.

My revision knee, I know it is filling with scar tissue again. I know what it feels like. It feels full and tight. Thursday I had to work hard to get a ROM measurement of 110. I am so tired of all of this...I just want to feel normal...I don't think I ever will!
 
Bonnie, I am sorry to hear about his---one of our instructors is going through the same thing---her rom is 63!! I notice that she limps when she walks now. I have adhesions in my left knee--but they have not affected my rom. They do make my knee stiff however and the knee swells more than it should. Frustrating. Aging is about letting things go---but I have to admit that i cling to everything and do not accept change graciously!
 
Bonnie,
I too am sorry to hear this. It is such a disappointment to have this of outcome, after being so hopeful.
Sending healing thoughts and prayers your way,
Chris
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom