Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Bonnie, I'm just catching up on your thread and I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. Best wishes.
 
Hi Bonnie. So sorry to hear how tough this is for you. After 3 replacements on my right knee I am going through a lot of stiffness as well but really no pain. I take ibuprofen about once or twice a day which helps the stiffness a lot but I was not aware of heat. I find that very interesting as I have been dancing and when I begin I feel stiff but after a while I feel very free same with riding my bike and other things I do. Must be the heat made by the muscles when exercising. It has been 1 year 5 months since my last surgery and I did much of nothing the first year as the healing was so very slow and I was scared to mess my knee up again. Are you in pain when riding the bike? Did your doctor tell you to ice after your bike ride?
 
Hi Bonnie:

Catching up with you again .... and sorry to see the set back. It's can be so frustrating: the spirit is willing, but the bod is not keeping up. So, back in the "patience" game again! Fortunately, it's only another 2 months before some sort of answer. I wish you well. Walking, biking, running, dancing ... just different words for "staying active" and I understand that. Hang in there!
 
Me too, Bonnie.....I always check to see if you're posting. I love hearing from you....even if it's just a note to say what you did today.
 
Hope you are enjoying your cruise in Hawaii! I would trade places with you. Those are beautiful pictures you are posting! :)
 
I haven't checked out your thread for a few months and just caught up. Your posts inspired me during my recovery and I wish you the best. If you are in Hawaii that sounds great. My wife and I are planning to go too
in December. It is always nice to get away for a while.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I am a year on from right tkr, have never got more than 85 90 deg bend, yesterday went to see os I am on his list for flexion while under full anesthesia, any good or bad results..?!!!
 
Oh @RunA42K you are having a well earned and deserved rest. You supported me a lot in my early days. Have an amazing time. Will you post a couple of pics on my thread please? If you don't mind? Xxxx
Thanks a lot love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Hi everyone, I think of you all every day, I've just had nothing new to report.

Yes I went to Hawaii, I was gone from home for 10 days. First vacation in 3 1/2 years because of all of my knee surgeries. I had a good time, it was beautiful just like one would imagine Hawaii to be. I was in Maui while there, and also spent several days in Portland, Oregon where I got to spend time with my sister, who I had not seen in 3 1/2 years! (Because of my knee)

Not much news with my knee. I still go to Physical Therapy twice a week. We've backed off of any bending that goes past the point of uncomfortable. Instead we work on strength, strength, strength building. Last Thursday morning my ROM was 112 degrees...whoopie! That was sarcastic.

I've not been walking, and I am not walking the 1/2 marathon in January, I am not up to that at this time. I am just concentrating on complete healing before I do anything like that. I've only rode my bike once since I came back from Hawaii and that was for 9.33 miles. I continue to workout upper body and core 3 days a week and my two days at Physical Therapy days are leg days, so I am staying in shape but not putting in miles. It's ok, I've accepted that I will never run again and am finding that I don't even like being around the race/running club environment any longer because quite honestly it makes me sad.

My husband is fine, my kids are fine, my dogs are fine. I am just chugging along saying "never give up, always keep trying."
 
Bonnie,

It is good to hear from you! I am glad that you went to Hawaii and Portland! Getting to see your Sister and taking your Mom to Hawaii was a great experience I'm sure! I miss talking with you and have been thinking about you lately!:friends:
 
Your story inspires and I regularly check for updates. Sounds like you missed the storms in Hawaii.
Wife and I are going soon to Kona. It is just nice to get away and do a little snorkeling and occasionally see a turtle. We are with you and wish you the best.
 
Hello @RunA42K

I'm ever so pleased to hear that you had a great vacation and also to spend time with your sister. That's so lovely.

I can understand your feeling upset about the running. It's so hard when our lives change that we have to adjust to something new. I envy anyone who can walk fast or run, or even walk normally. I get a pang of remorse and then the wishful thinking starts, closely followed by self destruct. Not good. I have to try distract myself. I used to be so fast on my feet!!! People I haven't seen for a couple of years are shocked at my change in mobility, especially how much I slowed down. I don't know how you feel, I'm not you but I do get the stuff you mention and my heart goes out to you.

I think I should take a leaf out if your book and start working on the rest of my body. It's getting very flabby around the middle. I've always been noted for a small waist and flat not fat stomach. I'm scared that I might hurt my knee. I had a revision four weeks ago.

I do hope that you continue to heal well so that you can return to the cycling and walking. It will be so lovely to do be able to do those things.

So welcome home and keep smiling your smile is lovely on your Avatar xxxx

Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxox
 
Hello @RunA42K

I'm ever so pleased to hear that you had a great vacation and also to spend time with your sister. That's so lovely.
I think I should take a leaf out if your book and start working on the rest of my body. It's getting very flabby around the middle. I've always been noted for a small waist and flat not fat stomach. I'm scared that I might hurt my knee. I had a revision four weeks ago.

I do hope that you continue to heal well so that you can return to the cycling and walking. It will be so lovely to do be able to do those things.

So welcome home and keep smiling your smile is lovely on your Avatar xxxx

Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxox
Hi @Nana moon 27, thank you so much for your sweet message! I've missed a lot, tell me about your revision. Also don't be afraid of hurting yourself doing upper body and core workouts. I've done that right through all 4 of my knee surgeries. You don't need your legs, just sit or lay back on a bench and use Dumbbells. Core, no legs, just lots of crunches, etc., you can do it. I'm getting so strong, I can do pulls up (my body weight) and curls with 20 pound Dumbbells, bench press 60 pounds. I had a LOT of muscle atrophy after my revision but I am in better shape physically now in less than 10 months when I was at my best prior to surgery #3. Come on...you can do it! xo
 
Hi @RunA42K

Well very briefly as you've asked me what's happened, I'll try to condense it. I apologise if this is derailing your thread but you've given me permission to post.

I was having terrific problems with my TKR knee. In the end I had extremely limited mobility. They finally tracked down the surgeon who did the op, which resulted in me having to travel to a strange hospital the other side of town. I was pleasantly surprised. The hospital was spotlessly clean and he listened to what I had to say. In fact he even apologised!!!! He said he was sorry that this had happened to me, that I'd been the unfortunate one, the tiny percent they warn about before the surgery and he would do his best to sort it out. Initially he booked me in for aspiration (drainage) and cortisone shots in June. When I got to the ward he had another look at my knee, moved it around and explained that he thought the kneecap was catching on the joint. He said he'd still go ahead with the cortisone shots etc. Well, needless to say, again he was honest and said he wasn't altogether sure that the aspiration and cortisone would work but he'd do it anyway, in the hopes of getting some kind of relief. It didn't really work well. Once it kicked in it lasted about 3 days. In the follow up appointment he said he wanted me to be admitted to this hospital, although it was miles away from where I lived. He said he would do a straightforward procedure, I'd only stay in overnight and be out the next day. My husband agreed with him that yes that sounded fine. I was happy at the thought of an overnight stay!

I was supposed to have GA but I was scared due to my respiratory problems and in the end they agreed a spinal. I had no sedatives although they were practically trying to force me to have them. I went down at 9.20 am and the op finished at 11.50. At the time I thought oh that's a long time. There was a lot of thumping, my body bumped up the bed quite a bit. After the op the surgeon said they resurfaced the patella and fitted me a new spacer. I was down there the same length of time as a TKR.

The following morning, I'm thinking I'm going home by the afternoon. I said this to the nurse and she said the physios would be down to see me. They came, got me up, I used the frame and oh my knee was stiff and painful but it felt different, somehow better. I asked if I'd be going home and they said not until another day. I had to be able to do certain things before I left. I'm still thinking I've had a simple routine op, probably going home tomorrow and can't get my head around how difficult I was finding things.

The following day A registrar came to see me, had a chat again about the op and off he went. I asked if I'd be going home and he said not today. You have stuff to complete for the physios. I was still in considerable pain. The physios came, talked about quad presses, heel slides and leg raises got me to do a few. I walked with the frame explaining I'd managed to go to the loo several times with the nurse accompanying me.

Day three came and I was far more mobile but still stiff and sore. I was on the way back from the toilet on my crutches when this lovely doctor came, introduced himself and I asked if I was going home. He said no not until my pain levels were under control. I said I couldn't understand why I wasn't up and about and doing this and that. He explained that I'd had major surgery!!! I looked in disbelief and said no I'd had a straightforward procedure. He said no, you've had major surgery and to treat this exactly the same as TKR. I asked about recovery and he told me a good twelve weeks, possibly more realistically. I realised at this point that this was why I was struggling.

They eventually released me on Day 7. The surgeon was amazed at how well I was walking on crutches and very pleased with the minimal swelling etc.

I've been for follow up and he wants to see me in three months time, when he'll X-ray both knees. I'll tag you into the post in my thread explaining about my other knee.

I'm doing well, a few minor pain issues but I'm doing this by the book. Thanks for your interest.
Love Nana moon 27 (Ann) xoxoxox
 
Love this calorie burn to start my day! My new knee will be 11 months old tomorrow and I rode my furthest distance yet!
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom