Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Hi @deegee87 on my first TRK, I ran a 1/2 marathon on it. I ran daily runs of 5 or 6 miles once or twice a week, I ran some 5K's and 10's too where as before TKR, I was running 5 days a week. I had 3 different TKR doctors tell me that a little running was ok, just don't run everyday, just for the sake of running, but mix it up a bit with cross training. I accepted that. But, I had a bad install job and eventually a knee FULL of scar tissue, so I ended up with a revision. The reason that I won't run now, with a revision is that my implant in my tibia goes mid way down into the shin bone. I'd be afraid of fracturing my tibia if I ran on it. But I get out and power walk as fast as I can, and work out legs, upper and body and core several times a week. I won't let this knee be an excuse for an inactive lifestyle, its more like..."let's see what all I can do with this knee!!"

Good luck to you!! btw...My daughter is a DeeGee too!
 
Thanks, Bonnie, for your reply...I'm glad to hear that running may be in my future again! I hope so anyway. And...best of luck to you and thanks for being an inspiration to me and others, I'm sure!
 
@hopefaith,

When we power walk in Houston in January we will be among some of the elite athletes in the world! The Houston marathon is hosting the Olympic qualifying trials! :wow:

I am awed to be among such great athletes, while at the same time showing the world that knee replacements/revisions are not a reason to "sit on the sidelines!" We're back in the game!:yahoo:
 
Well today, July 28, 2014 is a day for me to remember because today for the first time in one year and 5 months I rode my bike outside. Up until now it was a stationary bike in Physical Therapy that I struggled to make rotations on. Today I took my own bike outside. My husband would not let me go alone so he aired up his own bike tires and rode with me and took a couple of pictures. I can't wait to do it again. I have so many wonderful trails near me and I have an awesome Garmin bike GPS...I am so ready! Here is me today...and oh yeah it was 101 degrees out when I was riding, but who cares??? I rode my bike outside!! See that right knee bending?!?!?!?
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
 
:biking::bicycle1: Woot Woot, Bonnie is riding her bicycle!!
I am thrilled for you to reach this milestone, keep on riding with many miles ahead of you!!
:wowspring::happydance::yay::yes!::dancy::spin::wave:, hope to join you next year!
 
:)Bonnie, I am so PROUD of you! You do realize that you are making me nervous though don't you?:cool:
I can see myself having to RUN to keep up with you in January!:giggle:
 
I'm like a kid at Christmas with a new bike. Just finished riding outside again for the 2nd time in 17 months. My new knee is 8 months old today and I made it work...11.1 miles! Notice that right knee bends! [/ATTACH]
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
    image.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 232
  • [Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
    image.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 255
  • [Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
    image.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 248
Bonnie, you are doing great! We will have a blast in January with all the conditioning Abby has me doing! It will feel, like a walk in in the park!:rotfl:
 
Thanks Sonja @RestAssured...I'm obviously feeling better than I did last night. I guess I'll be canceling that doctors appt. I just got to keep using this knee like I did today...and it helps to have confidence in my self now that I can do it.
 
@RunA42K,

Remember there are always great days, good days, and days you think why am I not where I want to be on the road to recovery! The key is knowing that you will see the good days more often, which will lead to the great days where you start forgetting about your knee being "revised" and think of it as normal!:happydance::wowspring:
 
Did you locate a purple Garmin yet? After Friday, I am hoping to shed this boot, strap on the Hokas Monday, and start learning pacing w Abby on Monday!:happydance:
 
What type of bike do you have? I would love to start riding again, and my hubby said he would ride with me!
 
What type of bike do you have? I would love to start riding again, and my hubby said he would ride with me!
First off, can't find the purple Garmin Forerunner 10 in purple and that is because they are coming out with the Forerunner 15. Just an updated version. I may be able to get the purple 10 from Garmin but our stores are sold out. Would you like me to check with Garmin or do you want to wait for the new version?

I have two bikes. A 'purple' mountain bike by Specialized the model is girl specific is called Myka. It has white trim and I ordered white valve stem caps from Amazon that have a wiener dogs on the flat cap tops. You have to have 'schrader' valve stems to accommodate then...FYI. My road bike is also girl specific and the brand is Scott and the model is called Contessa. It has 'presta' valves so no wiener dog valve caps on it! My husband has a Specialized Cross Trail bike so he can ride it either road or light trail with me no matter which bike I use. For the time being I'm just riding my purple mountain bike with the fat beefy tires until I get good at cycling again, eventually I'll ride my road bike again with the pencil thin tires!
 
Thanks! I will wait for the Garmin 15 to come out! I will rely on Abby to be my "pacesetter" until then! :rotfl:

She would be anyway!:heehee:

Thanks for the info on bikes. I am going to start looking into bikes soon!:happydance:
 
Bonnie....what fabulous photos!!! I'm so glad you posted them so we could see how well you're doing. Your joy is obvious and well deserved, my friend!!!
 
Wow Bonnie fabulous. You and your knee look great!!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes, way to go Bonnie:bicycle1: So glad you are moving along and nothing wrong with speed walking. I actually prefer the biking which I do each morning (just short 30 min. ride) along the water front here in La Paz. I try and ride early morning as our days reach up to 100 degrees and humid. Houston is a beautiful City, I have always enjoyed visiting there and just the right temps with lots of water.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom