THR Nerdgrrl has a new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Nerdgrrl, we have told you ours...now you tell us yours :)

Hoping you had a great appointment.

Tammy
 
Hello! dede62 is right. Between getting caught up on rest from last weekend's excitement, getting worn out at work, and prepping for the next round of guests, this is my first time to really get online. Sorry for the delay! Next guests arrive tomorrow!

My doctor appointment went great! He was very pleased with how things look and said I was walking very well. He said the groin stiffness after inactivity is normal and should go away in a month or two. I think that would match sissy46 's timing for it going away. I told him I was taking ibuprofen and Tylenol as needed for pain and he said I should try to use Tylenol alone and only add ibuprofen if that is not enough. Reason being ibuprofen/naproxen can impede bone healing.

Other items of note: stationary bike, walking, pool walking, pool sidestepping all encouraged. No weight lifting with legs for another month. Upper body and core I can work out as much as I want. Issue for me now is getting in workouts on workdays since I get so tired from work. As far as fatigue goes, he said that is normal, too, and it will probably be around another month or two (although decreasing as time goes on).

Massage is approved, encouraged even. I had one yesterday and it made a huge difference! It appears to have gotten rid of some of the groin stiffness. Sleeping on operated side is ok. Chiropractor ok, but no adjusting of the legs.

He kept reminding me it is early days, and he is right, but starting to get impatient again. I just keep reminding myself that I want this to heal well, so I can do all my spring activities! ( and maybe sneak in some late season snowshoeing).

In other news, I am pretty much walking without the cane all the time. I sometimes take it in crowds so I have something to defend my hip with. I slept on my operated side, but found it somewhat uncomfortable.

This week I have guests, but also have the week off. Should be fun!

Happy holidays everyone!
 
Awrsome report Nerdgrrl! It's good to know that we're on the right track with things and now it's a matter of time and a little while longer for moderation. Hope you have a wonderful week off and enjoy your company. Just think how much better it is compared to 7 weeks ago!!! Well done you! Santa couldn't have brought us better gifts, huh?!?
 
Excellent news Nerdgrrl! I couldn't be happier for you. A massage sounds heavenly right about now. I got the go ahead to go to the gym after the New Year and can not wait to get back into it. Sounds like we got a lot of the same instruction. Decrease the weights and increase the reps.

Try to schedule yourself some down time with all the festivities and relatives visiting. Don't want you to become exhausted. I have noticed that when I am tired it doesn't take much to push it to exhausted.

Merry Christmas to you and your new hip!
Tammy
 
Tammy, you are right about the rest! I think it will be a pretty mellow week. I think the reason I was so draggy at work was that I was still recovering from my mom's adventure. I have noticed that in addition to getting fatigued/exhausted more easily, it takes me longer to bounce back, so I need to factor that in. I finally actually felt energetic yesterday.

Oh forgot to mention that next OS visit will be in June, for another xray and follow up. He did not xray this last visit, but did at 10 days. Interesting how everyone's protocols vary ever so slightly.

Merry Christmas eve!!
 
Nerdgrrl, here is some more encouragement. I'm about 6 weeks ahead of you. I haven't taken ibuprofen is 3 and a half weeks. I was very happy to be able to stop it, as Tylenol does me no good whatsoever and I'd been depending on ibuprofen exclusively and as sparingly as possible. No more sleep disturbance (except for the furry kind:kittykiss:) for several weeks now, and the energy drain is gone; I haven't napped in weeks. My hematocrit post-op was 27, down from 39. My OS told me it would take 3-4 months to get back to normal. Tomorrow will be exactly 3 months, and I no longer get tired easily, no longer short of breath on exertion, so I would imagine it is back to normal now. Most of the time, my left hip feels just like my right one.

Of course I've had whiny spells where nothing seems to get better for a few days. Now I wish I'd been more patient in early days. In retrospect, it didn't take long at all, and being impatient got me nowhere but frustrated:headbang: Now I don't have any excuse to indulge in Haagen Daas.
 
Now I don't have any excuse to indulge in Haagen Daas.

[Bonesmart.org] Nerdgrrl has a new hip! So sad, too bad----but it'll be better for your figure!
 
So glad to hear your timetable and your wish that you had been more patient in the early days. I am 3 weeks tomorrow and have had two days of feeling very impatient because I can do so little before I get really tired. Hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Deb
 
Nerdgrrl, here is some more encouragement. I'm about 6 weeks ahead of you. I haven't taken ibuprofen is 3 and a half weeks. I was very happy to be able to stop it, as Tylenol does me no good whatsoever and I'd been depending on ibuprofen exclusively and as sparingly as possible. No more sleep disturbance (except for the furry kind:kittykiss:) for several weeks now, and the energy drain is gone; I haven't napped in weeks. My hematocrit post-op was 27, down from 39. My OS told me it would take 3-4 months to get back to normal. Tomorrow will be exactly 3 months, and I no longer get tired easily, no longer short of breath on exertion, so I would imagine it is back to normal now. Most of the time, my left hip feels just like my right one.

Of course I've had whiny spells where nothing seems to get better for a few days. Now I wish I'd been more patient in early days. In retrospect, it didn't take long at all, and being impatient got me nowhere but frustrated:headbang: Now I don't have any excuse to indulge in Haagen Daas.

Hi sissy46 and anyone else reading this, it takes 12-16 weeks for a blood cycle, in other words, the blood cells take that long to regenerate new ones and get rid of the old ones. :)
 
Christmas day is almost over where I live :merrychristmas:
 
Heh, or in @Poppet's case (and the rest of you Aussies and Kiwis) Happy Boxing Day! ...or Happy Wednesday :)
 
Thanks warrior girls.. Boxing Day is traditionally a day where we are glued to the tv following the Sydney to Hobart yacht race.. sO has sailed this race many times, so I know not to interrupt his tv watching.. :)
 
Nerdgrrl, hope you are enjoying time with your family! Wishing you all a Merry Christmas! :tree-miley:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom