THR Nerdgrrl has a new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn! He just turned 16, and loves video games. He doesn't like crowds either. We have Wii, but no newer games. We mostly use it for Netflix.

sissy46 - usually I take him hiking and such, and if I were my "normal" self, we would be going snowshoeing. You did give me an idea - I will have to check out the snow tubing options. I can sit in the lodge and have hot chocolate while those who want to can do the tubing thing.

dede62 -NW Trek is a brilliant idea! He loves animals, so I hope he might want to do this. My brother will be here too, so we can't corrupt him too much ;)
Also, it was the good beer, but I think it was the lack of beer for so long.
 
Nerdgrrl, you might want to check the schedule. Not sure but I think they are operating on winter hours (Friday-Sunday only).
 
Wow, a little more excitement than I planned on for this weekend. So my aunt and uncle are visiting for a long weekend and staying at my mom's house. We were all hanging out at my house on Friday night, while my mom was out with friends at a theater show that she had bought tickets for ages ago. We were all winding down for the evening and wondering if we should take my aunt and uncle back to my mom's or if she would pick them up after then show. The phone rings and it is my mom. I ask where she is and she says "funny you should ask that I'm at the ER over in Redmond". I start asking questions and she puts her friend on the phone and says my mom felt really dizzy after the show so they took her to the ER, and that her hematocrit was really low and she needed to be admitted right now. Her hemoglobin was so low that she was at risk for cardiac arrest. Scary! Long story somewhat shorter, My aunt and i hightailed it over there. I spent the remainder of Friday night and all of Saturday in the critical care unit with my mom, while they pumped her with three units of blood and figured out that she has had an ulcer for awhile that has resulted in a slow internal bleed. Ulcer is not actively bleeding any more. She is fine now and home with orders for follow up visits and to eat red meat, easy greens, and Iron supplements and proton pump inhibitor. She is doing waaaay better! So relieved!

However, that did a number on my hip. I had to sleep on a recliner chair (and thankful they had one) with none of my meds and no elevation, didn't think to ask for ice. And today I hit the wall. After picking up my mom from the hospital this morning, I am Taking it easy and elevating and icing. Not really to coherent right now, so not being antisocial, just tired.
 
Good grief, what a weekend! Thank goodness your Mom is okay. I'm surprised she even felt like going to the theatre, but I guess slow blood loss and gradually lowering hemoglobin can be like the frog in the boiling pot.
Now it is time to pay attention to yourself---take a couple of days of rest, elevate, something good to eat, manage pain, good video or book. So you'll be in top shape for your company coming next week.
 
nerdgrrl, so sorry to hear about your mom! that was a scary nite, i'm so sorry you
had to go thru that on top of your own recovery. glad to hear she is going to be ok though.
take care of yourself for a few days now, and get all rested up cuz Christmas is
right around the corner!
 
Nerdgrrl, glad to hear your Mom is doing much better! How scary that must have been for everyone! :scary: I hope you are feeling better yourself today. Our bodies are a bit susceptible to soreness when exposed to new conditions. My hubby had a tough time staying in my room on that recliner and felt better after a couple days home. I'm thinking you need to take a quick run over to the bakery and get yourself a treat! That'll make you feel better! :friends:
 
Oooh, the bakery, maybe tomorrow! Hip is feeling a little better today, but I am still tired. I think I didn't go to bed early enough last night. Things will be different tonight! :zzz: Plus tomorrow I have plenty of nap time if needed. Today I had to go to the dentist and get some online shopping done.

I did walk for a mile today, because sometimes that helps work out the kinks. I'll have to see how I feel tomorrow morning.

I need to rest up so I can start work again on Wednesday. Wow, how time flies when having fun!
 
Ugh, Wednesday already... I'm a week right behind you. Texted a co-worker who is anxious to have me back with thhe countdown 9 and a wakeup then... Alright surgery buddy, we're heading back out to the real world! Our warrior training has made us ready!!

:cheers:
 
Come on Warrior Ladies! You can handle this! I am starting my 4th week back to work and doing pretty good. You got this!!!!!

Kick butt and take names :)
 
It will be six weeks tomorrow. First day back at work. Looking forward to it! Still a tiny bit tired from my weekend adventure, but my mom is doing great. She says she hasn't felt this good in months, so I guess the slow bleed theory is a good one.

My 6 week followup appointment is on Thursday. sharonslp do you happen to still have Aussie Mike's list of questions? I can't seem to find it - probably because I am tired right now. I think it should be posted in the Library, if it isn't already :)
 
Nerdgrrl, see Mike's post on page 24 / post 477.

Good luck on your first day back tomorrow. Give us a little update if you can! Of course we'll want to hear how Thurs goes. I meet with my doc on Thurs as well. He's on vacation next week for my 6wk anniv. so I get to see him a little early.
 
POST OP QUESTIONS (from Aussie Mike p.24 of his thread)
  1. RESTRICTIONS
    Do I have to follow the 90 degree rule any longer?
    Do I have to wear TED socks any longer?
    Am I now allowed to drive a motor vehicle?
    2. PAIN MEDICATION
    What pain medication should I use from this point onwards?
    When should I cease taking medication altogether?
    3.EXERCISE AND SPORT
    Am I allowed to jog now if it is pain free?
    When can I return to the gym?
    What exercises or equipment should I avoid at the gym?
    When can I play golf again?
    Do you think I would benefit from further PT?
    4. LIFESTYLE
    Given my pain medication when can I drink alcohol again?
    Do you have any recommendations on long haul air travel?
    5. REHABILITATION
    Is there anything I should add to my daily or weekly routine that would benefit?
 
Thanks Dede and Sharon!

Work today was ok. I had trouble sleeping last night, so I was really tired. I found it hard to concentrate, but I think it was the tired, not the hip. Note to self, do not do bills right before bed! It apparently leads to nightmares about insurance not paying. :yikes: Tonight will be stories about puppies and kitties :puppysmooze::kittykiss:

I stayed about 6 hours, including the building Holiday party thingee. Got my email cleaned out and set up a meeting for early January, since I have next week off. Tomorrow I hope to be more focused so I can actually look at code and try to compile things :) Will let you know how the doctor visit goes...
 
Wow... that was very scary with your Mum.. so pleased she is recovering..

You take care, no wonder you could not concentrate.. you are still suffering the 'energy drain' we talk about. So pleased you have time off next week.

Looking forward to getting your update from your doctor visit.. :)
 
Glad you Mom is well, that is quite a scare.

It was propbably hard to sleep before work, also because we know it is our first day back. I usually have trouble sleeping before a new thing, I am sure doing bills did not help though:shocked:

Hope you work goes well today, I return to work the day after Christmas
 
Nerdgrrl, I brought up your idea of posting Mike's list in the library to the rest of the staff, and we are working on expanding it and getting it in there. Thanks for the great suggestion. :)

Sharon
 
Nerdgrrl, I know you're prepping for your next wave of guests, but let us know how your appointment went yesterday when you get a chance! :)
 
Inquiring minds want to know
So tell it sistuh,
How did it go?

The doctor visit, that is:what:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom