Guest viewing is limited

THR Nerdgrrl has a new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
nerdgrri, I just dropped by to wish you Happy New Years. You are doing so good. But do remember to go slow. Take care. Tashia
 
I was also wondering what technique you used sissy46 to get into your kayak, do you do the reverse getting out?

Hope for me now! :)
 
Fantastic update nerdgrrl, sounds like your hip is healing well. You beat me back to work.. I went back at 7 weeks and found the energy drain the biggest thing to cope with for 3 weeks, then all of a sudden at around the 10 week mark, I was full of energy.. Sorry to hear about your knee!
 
Vida nerdgrrl is right, I went kayaking on the 28th post-op day. My OS had told me before surgery that I could start paddling and riding my bike after four weeks, but I was careful. I have 3 little boats, one 9.5 ft rec boat (Perception Swifty) that I keep on a rack right the lake behind my condo, and that's the one I used for the first paddle. It is a sit-inside with a large cockpit. A friend helped me get it into the water, about a foot deep, and I got in in the usual way---right leg first, sit down, pull left leg in. No problem. We paddled about 3 hours.

My next outing was with my 12 ft sit-on-top Hurricane Phoenix. This is by far the easiest type boat to enter and exit, especially in about a foot of water, just a matter of sitting down sideways and lifting legs in as you turn around.

The little boat in the picture is one of the sit-on-top Perception Tribes that belongs to the state park where I do volunteer work. Slow, stable, and very easy to enter and exit.

I also have a solo pack canoe, my favorite boat, which I've had out several times. A little more difficult to exit, as all weight must momentarily be placed on one foot, but it hasn't been a problem. (keep in mind also I had the anterior approach, so haven't had any worries about 90 degree flexion.) The canoe is the least comfortable to paddle right now----it is a pack canoe, seat on bottom, foot braces on sides and is paddled with a double blade paddle. The foot braces cause my feet to toe out slightly, which gets uncomfortable for my back and my hip, so I'm trying to figure out some way to modify that, or maybe it will just get more comfortable in time.

I was on the water (with the Phoenix) yesterday for about 6 hours with only two stretch breaks, and about half of the trip was paddling upstream against a headwind and current. I am achy this morning (hip and back) but I slept 8 hours straight last night.

Believe me, I understand that you are jonesing to get back in your kayak, but maybe you shouldn't do it while you're still using a cane, especially if you have a sea kayak with a keyhole cockpit, which I imagine you do, living in Vancouver. Or maybe if you had someone standing by to help. There's nothing like getting back to the things you love doing, to make you feel "normal" again:SUNsmile:
 
nerdgrrl, I'm so sorry you have knee problems, too. I've never had my knee(s) evaluated, but for a couple of years before my hip went bad, I would get a sudden popping sensation in one knee or the other, and it felt like a red hot poker being jammed under my knee cap. I would just treat it myself, with ice, elevate, ibuprofen, rest, an elastic brace, and it would get better. Then my hip got so bad that I couldn't walk far enough to aggravate my knees---silver lining to that cloud, right?:rolleyes:

Now that my hip is up to walking 5 miles and more, my knees are bothering me, but I haven't had that really bad pain again yet. The thing that I have enjoyed the most post-op is being able to get out alone on trails with my camera and my trekking pole, which I have named Bartram, and just walk.

I am NOT interested in having more surgery soon or ever, really, so I'm trying to be prudent in my outings, whether it be paddling or hiking---I'm happy to say that bike riding seems to be all good, for hip, knees, and back; that might not be true if I didn't live in the flatlands.

The OS who did such a great job on my hip also does the minimally invasive knee surgery, so at some point, I'll get him to evaluate.
 
sissy46 Thanks, you are right.. I'd better wait until 12 weeks, my PT stil insists I adhere to 90 degrees so I'll be patient. It is a bit cold out there so waiting is easier. My husband and I have just picked up a couple of little sea kayaks and I am raring to go. Interesting comments about bad knees. My right one blew up this year after my left hip finally gave out..too much compensating. It has worsened with the rehabbing and six weeks partial weight bearing. Meloxicam helps but with all the popping and clicking on the outer side I worry that it may be next for the chop. I'm waiting to see how it feels once my walking improves!
 
nerdgrrl Hi there! I've noticed a few folk here from Washington State. I am trying to raise this site's profile around these parts. My physio thinks its great and I tell everyone I meet who is going through it or thinking about it to lurk a bit. I also believe all OS's should recommend that their patients visit bonesmart, it would save them a lot of panicked calls from patients. Can't wait to spend a spring weekend in your lovely city! (And shop for some new clothes... I must be getting better.) Can't wait to throw out the fugly old pants and tops I've been yanking on and off since surgery......
 
I *knew* I would forget something in my progress report:
- walking without a cane all the time now
- don't need the railing to ascend or descend stairs ( of course I do use it for safety )

sissy46 I have had knee problems since my 20s, so I am only slightly alarmed. In fact, i always thought i would need a knee replacement, never occurred to me that i might have hip issues, until it got bad. However, knowing how my hip suddenly got bad, I am concerned my knee is approaching that. Love your recent pics!. I was out with the camera yesterday. I think I got some good stellar jay pics, but I don't think I will have time to download them until the weekend.

Vida I know! I have been telling anyone I know who is looking at knee or hip replacement about this site. My OS hadn't heard about it, but seemed impressed with some of the things I learned. I am hoping he will pass on the info to his other patients. You can't wait to come here to shop and I can't wait to visit Vancouver again. I guess we have a mutual city admiration society :) Last time I was there was for the Olympics, which was a blast! Life has gotten in the way of a couple of more recently planned trips up there. I need to renew my passport,though, since it is about to expire.
 
Thanks, nerdgrrl. I would love to see your pictures of the stellar jays. We don't have them here in the east, you know. We do have scrub jays, though they have become rare due to loss of habitat and fire suppression.

I also have told my OS, my PT, and my niece who needs new knees about BoneSmart. I've enjoyed sharing @damn 's escapades with my friends.
 
What fantastic progress you are making nerdgrrl. Great news about walking without aids and going up and down the stairs. I hope you get some good news about your knees and if not, I hope you get them taken care of quick so you can give that new hip a run for its money.

sissy46, I hope you are sharing some of your escapades as well :) Another phrase I learned at school "Snitches get stiches!" LOL Seriously though, I am glad that you have found the humor.....
 
Glad you are doing well Nerdgirl, the bike should be good for your kneww too

Vida, even with a wetsuit, isn't it a little cold in Vancouver to paddle?
 
Vida, when my feet get cold, I'm cold. Looking at your winter weather, there is no way I would be taking off the wool socks; sunny day or not! Brrrrr....
 
Ok, I am obsessing about this so I am asking resident experts Josephine, Poppet... I am currently fighting off a bad cold, and am somewhat prone to sinus infections and/ or bronchitis. I am obsessing about the potential for hip infection from this. Should I be talking to my primary care doc about prophylactic antibiotic, or is that overkill at this point, and I should just proceed as I would if I hadn't just had a hip replacement ? ( wait for actual sign of infection before seeking medical care/antibiotic). I understand about not overusing antibiotics when they are not needed, but not sure if at this point I am a special case.

Sorry if this is overly paranoid, but other than falling in a bad way, infection is one of the things that I apparently worry about quite a bit on some subconscious level that i am now aware of. If nothing else, I will sleep better having a direction to go with information.

Off to have some chicken soup and tea. :mcoffee:
 
Ooh Tammy, I never thought you would be a weather wimp. We are at a balmy 5 today..... I could understand you putting your socks on in Winnipeg -15, Yellowknife -21 or Iqaluit -31. Our three local ski hills are going to have an amazing season. Here's a video about Vancouver that really says it all. You can see my house at .43 seconds!

 
Vida, I think I am a weather wimp depending on my location. Two years ago, I spent 2 weeks at Christmastime in Alaska and loved being outside. As a teenager I lived in the Phillipines and loved the heat. Then we moved to northern Ontario and once again I fell in love with cold-weather activities and spent lots of time outdoors. Now, I live in Florida and my blood has thinned....so I like heat now ;)
 
Damn! Well I take the wimp accusation back. There's no way I'd live in Alaska. But I'd melt in Florida. It would leave me limp, frizz my hair and give me a bright red, sweaty face.

nerdgrrl Sorry you are under the weather... did you get a flu shot? I was worrying about it as everyone and his dog has a bug here, either norovirus or the coughy-spluttery thing. I phoned the community health nurse and she said getting a flu shot after THR was OK, so I did. Been good so far....
 
Yes, I did get the flu shot! Thank goodness. I wasn't too worried about the cold, but I seem to have taken a turn for the worse last night, which got my worrying going full steam. I am taking it easy this weekend, in the hopes that it will get better. Will have to postpone my birthday celebration until I feel better :(. That's ok, because we're having a big birthday party in the summer when the weather is more conducive to lots of guests in the yard :)
 
nerdgrrl Wow its going to be a big birthday too. You will be a fabulous 50, now you have a new hip. Wish I hadn't waited. I'm (mutter, mutter) a bit older but I was way better at 50 when my latest round of problems began. But that was before I found someone who said I was a candidate for THR, how times change.
 
nerdgrrl

Good morning from the land of OS. :)

You are not being paranoid regarding peri prosthetic infection. I think most members carry some level of concern regarding it, but it is important not to worry about it prior to an infection, but if you are more comfortable and want reassurance, having a chat with your GP is not a bad thing.

I worry because I have compromised kidney function and have had four UTI infections since my THR. I see my GP as soon as is practical and usually she does not wait for the culture, but puts me on a broad spectrum antibiotic that covers UTI ( this antibiotic was the choice recommendation from my Renal Specialist).

BUT, although concerned, I try not to let it take over and worry too much. I take sensible precautions re UTI's. I drink mainly water and some herbal teas, an occasional cup of coffee as I know it will act as a diuretic with me, so hence I would drink a glass of water following a coffee..

Ensuring that I eat a healthy diet which keeps my immune system strong, avoiding people with colds and flu, practicing good personal hygiene etc.. Those types of precautions :).

Have you seen this article from the library...
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...tion-also-known-as-late-onset-infection.4868/

Jo will see your tag and provide further information. In the meantime try not to worry, but if concerned about your current infection and it would provide reassurance give your GP a call :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom