THR Nerdgrrl has a new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmmmm! I can't find that brand of ice cream here in OZ...

Although I make a natural banana ice cream .. No additives, no fat.. No added sugar...

Sorry to burst your bubble warriors whilst I get on my nutrition kick :)
 
I'll have chocolate chip cookie dough, come to think of it i never met an ice cream i didn't like !!!!
 
wayyyy too much chocolate this time of year, cookies, pies, more cookies... i am
fattening up like a pig for slaughter. gonna have to make myself a few
good new years' resolutions next week!!!
and get this thing off my foot so i can get to the gym and back on the skates!!!!!!!
:martini:
 
cnydutch Pugfugly

A New Year's resolution is something that goes in one year and out the other.... Hope you have better luck than me each year :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Nerdgrrl has a new hip!
Oh, so true! That's why my only resolution each year is to make NO resolutions. And it works beautifully---I have faithfully kept this resolution for years!!:heehee:
 
My New Year's Resolution: Well, I resolve to go kayaking a lot, biking a lot, and hiking a lot, and take lots of pictures. Oh, yeah, and go to the beach more this year now that I can take a long walk on the beach. I resolve to enjoy my new hip and be thankful for it every day, as it has changed my life so much for the better!
Oh, and eat less Haagen Daas---but not too much less:yes!:
 
I like how you all think! I agree... ice cream should be the official fuel of BS Warriors. Bandit and I have a bowl of chocolate ice cream every night before bed. I read an article that said you should eat dessert at 10:00 pm to ensure a good night's rest. Something about the sugar crash.....Anywhoooo...good enough for me :)

My resolution this year is much like Sissy's. I resolve to enjoy this new hip and to try not to let the slow recovery progress frustrate me!

Happy New Year!
Tammy
 
Hello all! Just dropping in to say Happy New Year to all my friends here! Thank you so much for all the support, friendship, food recipes, teasing, and general information about recovery. I still have family here, so will have to be a bit brief, though I will try to post a full 8 week update tomorrow, since it will be my anniversary. Suffice it to say for now, that I have been more active than I expected, and only had one day where I really needed to just totally sleep in and really take it easy. Luckily, with a teenager visiting, the sleeping in part is easy to accomplish!

I, too, have been eating terribly, another thing to blame on the teenager, I am sure. :) I will be back on the healthy eating bandwagon after my birthday on the 7th.

I'll be popping into the Party later tonight. I hope to "see" you there! As one of the last few time zones to change, it is still pretty early here.


Pizza dinner is calling.... (see, it's the teenager, I tell you!)
 
Happy New Year neighbor! Enjoy the time off with your family!! Hope the pizza was good!!
 
8 week status update!

Today is officially 8 weeks since my surgery, and I am feeling pretty good!

I returned to work in the 19th (at 6 weeks). I was getting fatigued after about 6 hours. Since then I have been on vacation because I had some vacation time I needed to use or lose. I have had family visiting and we have been pretty busy. It seems to me at about 7.5 weeks, I started to have had a lot less swelling/stiffness (not that I was having a ton) and I feel like I have more energy. It has been like a switch turned on. I was able to walk all over the museum for a few hours, and my hip was not complaining! My knee complained, but not the hip :dancy:

What I can do now:
-Not taking pain meds very often, certainly not every day, and when I do just Tylenol
- walking a mile regularly, with hills, my knee starts complaining first. Planning to switch to stationary bike for main exercise, so I can get more of a workout without stress on the knee
- generally have more energy
- able to do multiple shopping trips/ activities per day
- the main thing now is not trying to do too much, while the bone is still healing.

I feel like I am ready for more challenging physical activity, but every once in awhile I will trip slightly and catch myself on the operated leg. Ouch! It is a good reminder that I am not physically ready to go full out, and my body s still healing. I know that in a couple months I will be wondering why I was so impatient. What I work on now is staying healthy and making steady progress, not setting myself back. This will pay off in the end when I am hiking and mountain biking next summer!

There is probably more that I can do now that just seems so normal now that I have forgotten about it. :)

Happy New Year!!!
 
That all sounds wonderful, except for the knee. I have a bothersome knee also---we may meet again on the knee forum:boohoo:
 
sissy46 Quick question, when did you start back in your kayak? I am dying to go out but also a wee bit leery since I'm still using the cane. Plus, how on earth did you get in?
 
sissy46 sadly, I may be over on the knee side sooner than I would like :( but I am hoping to stave it off for a few more years. I will probably talk to my PCP about a referral since it has been ages since I went to the knee doc. It is probably a good idea to get an idea of where things stand at this point ::sigh::

Vida, since I see you are on line now, I'll try to answer - Sissy's first excursion was at 4 weeks. I think she said she waded in an slid onto her sit-on- top kayak. She lives in Florida, so that is a doable thing in the winter. Did I get that right, Sissy?

Vida- are you in Vancouver BC? If so, hello, neighbor!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom