THR Nerdgrrl has a new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nerdgirl and Vilebyrd and your daughter, hope you both get better quickly, the flu really seems to be striking coast to coast, an you are right Nerdgirl the shot doesn't hit this strain. Boston was declared a flu emergency and everywhere at work there are quite a number of folks out with it. I am keeping my fingers, toes, and now my legs crossed that I don't get it. Last thing you both need is more energy drain. Sending chicken soup vibes your way and speedy recoveries
 
Nerdgrrl, sounds like you're feeling a bit better. Was happy to hear that you've gone back to a spinning class??? That's awesome! :yay: By the sound of things you're on track to do that hiking this summer (and maybe some this spring).

How are you enjoying all the cold and slick roads?? Be safe out there!
 
dede62, Yes, I am feeling much better! The residue from the flu is still clearing out a bit, but I feel much better. I went to spin class Tuesday and today. Tuesday, I was mostly doing my own thing in the company of my spin buddies. The pedals were spinning, but I wasn't necessarily following with the class. I had to hop off after half an hour and walk around because my butt is totally out of bike shape. :yikes: I had spoken to the instructor ahead of time and she was ok with that. Today I did the whole class, just toned it down a fair amount. That seems to have worked out well. I imagine I'll be pretty much at full participation in a short while. I am beginning to think an easy hike in March is a realistic goal :dancy: I might even be able to squeeze in an easy snowshoe in Feb. We'll see on that one...

Oh and regarding the slick roads, luckily, our hill has been ok. The slick ish parts have not been the steep parts. I did slip and catch myself with my operated leg in my driveway. Didn't even hurt! :thumb: That is huge progress IMO.

So I guess now you have my 10 week update :)
 
Well, I neglected to mention that on Friday I added some new exercises in addition to spin class. Apparently that was a bit much. :headbang: I felt fine doing them but noticed more swelling Friday night and yesterday. So, back to the icing regimen. Lots of movie watching and sports this weekend while I'm on ice. Luckily it's a three day weekend for me, so I can ice a lot tomorrow, too. I feel good, but want to get the swelling under control! I promise I'll tone it down when I get back on the bike.

I realized due to vacation and flu that last week was actually my first full week back at work, so I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised with a bit of complaining from the hip. This balancing of not overdoing when feeling good is quite tricky!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Nerdgrrl has a new hip!
That's why so much of recovery is like this.
 
We caught this from Damn! It is her fault we all seem to be overdoing it these days. I was back on the sofa icing hip, back and knees after my long hike yesterday. I didn't mean to do it, but I was enjoying it so much that I walked too far and then I had to walk back. Whoops!

I wonder if being in a spin class might egg you on to do more than you should...maybe you should just get on a bike by yourself and listen to your hip for entertainment.
 
Hmmm the voice of reason is speaking to you...and you are listening! We're just chillin' watching football todsy. Last night was a three movie afternoon/night. I'm sure the icing will help and you'll be ready to saddle up on that bike again this week! Take a spin for me!!

:bicycle2:
 
Ummmm...NO. I didn't do it! You can't prove anything. Wow...how quickly we look for someone to point fingers at. I think we are all trying to keep up with SISSY. SHE is the one out paddling her fanny off, communing with nature, hiking, etc. SISSY DID IT.
 
Damn! that's exactly what my baby sister used to say whenever she got caught: "Sissy did it!"
On the bright side of overdoing it, sometimes it is worth it. I had a great hike on Saturday and ached that evening, but I was able to go to the Y and do everything without pain yesterday, and today I'm back to normal---I don't mind a little pain as long as I haven't done any permanent damage.
 
Nerdgirl, it sound like you are doing great and are trying to avoid those ice patches. I do believe Damn!, has a point about our supper nature warrior, sissy46, able to shoot picture in a single click and make the gators smile for the camera besides.:) I know with work being more normal, meaning alot of driving and working on the house, today I am mainly elevating and keeping of my legs, the good news is only after alot of activity does my operated leg hurt, for the most part righty is giving me the problem.

Hey, if we are All overdoing it, we must be doing better!
 
I tried to post a smiling deer picture in reply, but BoneSmart wouldn't let me, so I had to post it on my thread.
 
Hi Nerdgrrl, how are you doing now? How is the spinning class going? I am thinking of taking up spinning until such time as I can get back in to Crossfit. Can you give me any advice?
 
Hi Tammy- good to hear from you! My best advice is to ramp up to the spin class. I started out just going and doing my own thing. I think the first class I rode at my own pace for about 20 minutes then walked around the gym. I had agreement with the instructor that it would be ok. That happens to be a small class, so we just told the class to ignore me because I was recovering from surgery. ;) After I built up to time, I am starting with lower resistance. I am doing the resistance changes but not nearly as high as I was. And not doing the speed parts quite as fast either. I have found that spin is a little more irritating than elliptical, so these days I am doing the elliptical more than spin, but I can see that spin is getting less irritating as well, if that makes sense.... One thing is that for me I feel ok during class but the irritation show up after, so just be careful ramping up, superwoman :)
 
Well, tomorrow is officially three months out from surgery, so I thought I would post an update. It will probably be in somewhat random order.

I have caught myself at work walking fast down the hallway like I used to, without thinking about my hip. Someone posted something about walking like you are gliding and that has really helped me on not limping out of habit or tiredness. (so thank you whoever that was!)

I am going to spin class, but still taking it a little easier than I used to. Part of that is out of necessity as I am out of cardio shape, but it is improving! I also do the elliptical, as it seems to irritate the hip less. It is most effective for me to ice right after class, for controlling irritation. I will start formal PT this Friday, as my OS prefers just walking and light (stationary) biking until then. I noticed at 12 weeks, that my hip seems to be just generally getting less irritated, which is great! Also, my energy level is quite good. I still have to watch that I get enough rest, and I don't do much after work (I work out at lunch), but I haven't "hit the wall" in a long time ::knock wood::

This past weekend I started on my hiking training. A friend and I did some "urban hiking" with the dog. First the offleash area trails, and then we found another park that has lots of elevation gain variations, so I can train for steeper hikes. We probably walked around 3 miles. I had a light pack on this weekend, but when I "train" I will have my regular hiking day pack with the usual stuff. The "training" won't start for a couple weeks, at least. I don't want to start adding too many things at once.

I still have tight spots, on my front thigh and glutes. One of the best things was a recommendation from @Cardie to do the leg roller - works great on the thigh, ok on the glute, and IT band is starting to loosen up. The glute issue has been around for awhile (long before surgery), so I may have to work with a massage therapist on that one.

I have started back to Weight Watchers, and have dropped 3.5 of the 14 :yikes: pounds that I gained during my "convalescence". I did pretty well at first, but then there were the holidays and a few too many trips to the famous bakery!

At work I am starting on a big project, so I will be busy there too. As others have said, the pace of progress slows down now, but I can still say I have improved a lot from a month ago.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom