THR Nerdgrrl has a new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Poppet! I think I will see how I feel Monday and proceed accordingly. Now I have just sliced my finger pretty decently while slicing bread. Sheesh! Apparently, I need to be walking around in a plastic bubble!
 
Colds, 'flu' and other upper respiratory infections are viral in nature and pose no threat to implants. However, URTI are a problem regarding the anaesthetic and surgery on several levels; because you don't want to have such an infection when you have an anaesthetic, be it general or spinal, because of the risk of it going deeper into the lungs, because of the danger of spreading the infection around the other patients and last but not least, because of the possibility of spreading it around staff!

Also, antibiotics are unnecessary and ineffective with viral infections.
 
Thanks, Josephine, that is where I was leaning, and you have put my mind at ease. I have a history of colds turning into bacterial infections (sinus infection, bacterial pneumonia), but I will wait until I see an actual sign of bacterial infection before getting any more worked up about it. :)
 
Nerdgrrl, Sorry to hear about your knee. My RTHR was only two weeks prior to yours and we're at similar stages of recovery. I'm now having problems with my right knee. In fact I still have some thigh pain down to my knee. The physical therapist explained that he thinks it is all part of recovery as my leg is now longer than it was before surgery and the mechanics of my leg have changed a bit. He thinks the knee pain will resolve over time as muscles, ligaments, and tendons adjust. Keep on keeping on!
 
...and now for a change of pace... Pictures!

A Sandhill crane from our visit to Florida
[Bonesmart.org] Nerdgrrl has a new hip!


[Bonesmart.org] Nerdgrrl has a new hip!
[Bonesmart.org] Nerdgrrl has a new hip!

[Bonesmart.org] Nerdgrrl has a new hip!
Loons on Puget sound, a dock, and a view of why we suffer through the clouds.


[Bonesmart.org] Nerdgrrl has a new hip!
[Bonesmart.org] Nerdgrrl has a new hip!

chickadee stellar jay

[Bonesmart.org] Nerdgrrl has a new hip!
another view of the stellar jay

[Bonesmart.org] Nerdgrrl has a new hip!
For bellaroma and sissy46 kayakers on New Years day - bundled up!

[Bonesmart.org] Nerdgrrl has a new hip!
End of the day walk on New Years day.
 
Nerdgrrl, sorry you're feeling crummy. I hope you can fight off the worst of it and hopefully it will just be that pesky cold. I usually increase my vitamin C intake (I like taking double shots of Emergen-C) which in turn increases my fluids. I also take some zinc for good measure to help shorten the duration since it sounds like it's already taken hold. I don't know if you see a naturopath but mine concocts a great cough and cold formula that I start taking at the first sign of a cold, scratchy throat, general malaise... My colds have a tendency to try and drop to my chest as well, so do keep a close watch on it. Hopefully it will leave as fast as it came on! Try and get some good rest. I usually know it's an infection if a fever comes and stays and of course you get the rainbow color changes. If it gets close to 7-10 days and it truly isn't getting better, probably better check in with the doc.
 
GREAT PICTURES!!!!! Makes me want to get my camera out and find something great to photograph.
[Bonesmart.org] Nerdgrrl has a new hip!
 
Nerdgrrl, I hope this finds you starting to feel better. My mother always told me it takes one week to get over a cold when you use medicine. If you use nothing, it takes 7 days. Either way, I hope you are on the mend. We are a believer of whiskey-laced tea. These are especially effective if drinking while sitting in a very hot bath.

Love your pictures!
Tammy
 
Love the pictures! The Stellar Jays are beautiful, and we don't have them here. I do see Chickadees but not often. The Sandhill cranes are breathtaking, and they have the cutest babies, little golden fluffballs on stilts.

bottomshollow yes, post pictures!

Nerdgrrl, throw some of dede62 's Emergen-C and zinc in Damn! 's whiskey laced tea and partake while soaking in a steamy hot tub. It may kill you, but you'll go out happy:rolleyes:

I'm thinking about getting a flu shot tomorrow. Anyone else?
 
I was just going to say, I like the whiskey laced tea idea! I seem to be improving slowly. I have to say, I think it was good to get the flu shot because I am having a milder go of it than my friends who hadn't gotten the shot - and I am miserable! But, I am less miserable than I was, so I think that is good.

We see chickadees all the time! Funny, I think of them as really common birds, since they are at the feeder so much, but you are the second person to tell me that they aren't all that common where you live. The other bird we see a lot, but I have yet to get a decent picture is the flicker. It is hilarious to watch them try to balance on our small feeder!

Off to go make some tea!
 
I see Flickers occasionally but have never gotten a good picture.
 
Sorry you are not feeling well. I too recently had a cold issue and my nose smelled rotten, but for me. I have learned that if I take Sudafed and inhale lots of stem it generally cleans up without any antibiotics, but check with your GP do be on the safe side. I love your pictures, the river I kayak on is brackish and opens to the ocean where I am, so it never really freezes, but ice collects at the shoreline and floats from up river, so I do not kayak when the ice is moving as that can do quite a number on your kayak.
 
Nerdgrrl, I hope you are now well on your way to feeling much better...or at least have had enough whiskey-laced tea not to care. I love your photos. I can only parrot what Sissy told you about the Chickadees.

How is work going for you?
 
Nerdgirl, unlike sissy46 and Damn!, we have chickadees a plenty, they are pretty much like having sparrows here. If you feed them sunflower seeds and they get used to you, they will eat the seeds right out of your hand. It is pretty cool
 
Nerdgrrl, how are you feeling? I hope you're on the mend. BTW, do you get Northern Cardinals in Washington? They are so common here that we take their beauty for granted, but I know some other parts of the country don't have them.
 
Hi nerdgrrl/neighbor. We are so lucky to have the Stellar's Jays- every morning they see us at breakfast and scream for peanuts. Someone once told me if the jays come into your garden its a sign of a happy home. Nice thought eh? We have two pairs of flickers dropping by, well I think they're pairs, and yesterday had our first pileated woodpecker of the year but my favorites are the swarms of little round bush tits....they are hilarious to watch and they drive my now indoor cats mad. Last year, Mr.Vida, who is very clever, came up with the idea of Bird Radio to amuse me as I watched the birds at breakfast. Bodging together a few parts and a portable radio, I could switch on when I got up and hear them at the feeder. It needed some refinement especially in our weather but I think it had some marketing potential with birders. Our daughter just rolled her eyes and reminded us that we'd retired early in order to write and paint, not produce geeky products made in China. But I could so picture a Bird Radio TV infomercial!

Hope you are loading up on chicken soup and get well soon.
 
Vida - the bird radio sounds cool! I might have to see what I can rig up. The bird feeder is under an awning, so any sort of microphone would be fairly well protected. At least until we get windy rain like yesterday! Our cats and dog would love to hear the birds, as would I. Well, they have such good ears, they can probably hear them already, but I can't hear them very well.

sissy46 - still sick bleh. Went to the doc yesterday since I have had this for a week, and I was starting to get color in my mucus. He said flu and bronchitis. Lovely. Started on antibiotics for the bronchitis, but still feeling poorly from the flu. Apparently this flu strain is so bad that even folks who have had the flu shot can get a milder version of it.

Sadly, we don't get northern cardinals here. I miss them from living in Indiana and Virginia. So flamboyant with their red feathers! It was especially pretty in Indiana, since they really showed up against the white snow.
 
I so agree about the cardinals. I do live in Indiana and I see them often. They are so pretty in the winter. Hope you are doing well.
 
Nerd girl ive been sick for a week and ahalf also. My daughter tested positive for flu but we got the tamiflu in her just in time. So me and her have been hanging out feeling bad together. This crud has put a damper on my recovery. I really hope your starting to feel better. Today is the first day i feel human again. Beutiful picks. Get well!!
 
Vilebyrd, sorry you are sick, too! Its the pits, especially when I seemed to be starting to get some good energy back from hip stuff. Oh, well, there will be plenty of time for hip recovery. Glad you are starting to feel better!

I know what you mean about this crud putting a damper on recovery. It isn't just lack of energy from feeling sick. I really can't exercise, so I am noticing some soreness that seems to be from laying around and not moving so much. Well, hopefully this weekend, I can put some light exercise bike work in and see if that helps.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom