Bilateral TKR Nensi_New_Nees

Remember, most of you are not in my time zone (excepting Josephine and VW54 and Roy) - I'm 6 hours ahead of SusieShoes in Philly. So I'm getting ready to say goodbye to Day 11 forever. Putting stupid behind me for good. Hmm. We'll see about that. Anyway, a word of explanation - We live in a row house, share a common wall left and right with our neighbors and a long back yard. In our case, we have a gate at the back of the yard which gives out onto the street behind our house. So I did manage a half block, went out the front door and in the back, cutting across the grass, euhh I mean long weeds, navigating the 2 steps with ease and made a beeline for the bed and ice. Now more of the same !
Yeah Jenn, I hear ya about "straight" legs ! Funny thing was I didn't realize how crooked my legs had become.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
woohooo your legs are looking great! I have been doing quite a bit of walking myself, and now my so called good knee is really acting up, I guess it is insisting on being replaced as well.... Sure makes me not miss the old knee pain in my left knee! I now wish my os would have done a bilat!!!
 
I had a wonderful night. Let me savor that adjective, roll it over my tongue a bit: a woooooooonderful night. Describing it would make it mundane, suffice it to say that it has made me hungry for more. Part of the reason was not having to get up to pee. I didn't drink so much water in the evening, also not so good but I'll make it up today. Suzy, my furry nurse, cuddled up to me the whole night.
Yesterday I worked on a project as well, unravelling a sweater to reclaim the alpaca wool for a new one. Sounds easier than it is and I was able to work on it throughout the day. I needed that, I was drowning in my electronics: kindle, iPhone, iPad, resulting in a weird trance state. Oof.
And now Day 12, what do you hold in store for me?
I have decided to cancel PT for the rest of the week but still have to make that call, her next home visit is today at 5ish. She is my substitute PT and is a friendly, matter-of-fact fifty-something, but her therapy is not BS approved. Not pushing to pain, but doing exercises which are on the no-no list, like heel-raises, leg lifts and heel-toe, but in very low reps. I am fine with the PT but really notice increased swelling afterwards. You all are thinking duhhhhhhh, right? Or maybe even yelling it? OK.
So my idea was to cancel this week, RIE, and see how my miserable ROM would improve. Good idea, right? Of course, I had the "stupid" event yesterday with my half block walk so I could not judge if it was any better after a day without PT.
That reminds me, about my walk (with crutches), my oldest angel, Gabriella, "walked"'with me, at my tempo, a more accurate description according to her the robot shuffle. My ROM is so poor that I don't really come anyway close to heel-toe roll but y'know what? I wasn't even expecting to be able to walk like this. Funny, how I adjust my expectations, constantly raising the bar - not going to get into that mode ! Repeat after me - first month - REST, ELEVATE, ICE. But still, just 2 days to Friday and my stitches out !
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice morning, after a wooooooooonderful night. I'm planning on stringing these moments on a bracelet (baby steps) to make it tangible to me when I have a down day. Rainy, cold summer day here but with this mood it will be a nice day for crafting and cuddling with the cats. Walked around the house, lowered my crutches a notch which gave me more comfort in my shoulders. DH informed me that my gait around the house was stately, akin to a princess practicing receiving her guests. Predictably, Princess Diaries popped into my head - Anne Hathaway in that role more properly approximates my gracelessness. Now elevating and icing with a kitty nestled in between my knees.
Also pulled up my big girl panties, I always have 'em on but they were sagging, and called off the PT. I wavered slightly and considered texting instead but was immediately confronted with my own parental teachings about stepping up to communications -as f2f as possible. So I called and hahaha, got her voice mail, put forward my proposal to resume PT next Tuesday. My "real" PT (almost a family member) will be back from vacation in 2 weeks. I will have to work hard to convince her of BS approach and will be looking for tech journals to support.
Expecting a dear family friend to visit this evening, everyone will get a boost from seeing her.
 
What wonderful post to read Nensi! Yeah for you -- it's great to have a good night of rest. Congrats on cancelling the PT - much needed rest today after your big outing yesterday. Enjoy your time with company tonight!
 
Thank God that long walk yesterday didn't effect your woooooooonderful night's sleep! It was really smart for you to cancel PT for the rest of the week. You're doing great!
 
My countdown to getting out my stitches is racing by. We've had a stream of visitors which have made the days pass so quickly ! And the visits have been nice for the family caregivers as well, laughing and eating cookies is good medicine. So tomorrow morning, one of the doctors in our practice will come here to remove the stitches ! I am excited ! Today after showering one of my bandages was wet so I have a picture of Day 5 and Day 13 a big difference.
Also excited about receiving a new ice machine tomorrow so I have a machine for each knee. You can really see the difference in the swelling between machine knee and gel pack knee.
This weekend, we will have a full house - both daughters boyfriends here for the weekend. One of them will mount my special pedal crank on the Exercycle so I can rock back and forth.
I am feeling very thankful about getting these first two weeks behind me. I thought that it would be much worse than it has so far, but I credit that to you Bonesmarties keeping me on the straight and narrow with reality checks and reminders to keep listening to the knees.
 
Congrats on getting through the firs two weeks! It's a huge milestone - particularly for you bilats. Glad you have had pleasant distractions to see you through. A house call to get your stitches removed - now that's customer service! Sure beats a long ride in a car followed by flights of stairs or long walks. Keep up the good work and positive attitude Nensi :loveshwr:
 
You are doing so well Nensi! I would give anything for a full night sleep! Unfortunately my husband monitors my water like a drill sarghent so most of the time- it's the bladder waking me up and not my knees!
 
Haha @Kare2dare, my full night sleep is stitched together, like you bladder wake-up calls and toward 5am feeding the cats but adds up to 7-8 hours. But that's fine with me. Those 8 hours and a nap are good enough for me!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes, @kmak81230, the PCPs here still do house calls, amazing, right ? His office is also right around the block but ever so much more comfortable this way !


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
As kmak wrote how lucky for you that you have a doctor visit you to get stitches out.
For me it was get in taxi, walk with crutches, to the reception area, wait in line, then walk about 250 m (5x more than I had walked until then 2 weeks post op at any point) to a different section. Waited 30 min(good thing I had an ice pack w me) and then an arrogant young doc tried to test ROM by pushing my knee back and ignored that I had a strained or torn muscle.
So really, you can count yourself lucky in that aspect! ...and you're getting another cooling machine. Super!
 
Thanks @VW54, and how is your spa treatment working out?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It starts on the 26th.
First OS check up on the 17th to get his OK for rehab.
 
Cement bags.
I know that I don't complain too much.
I know that I have the right to complain.
But @Celle or other smarties - what can you tell me about the cement bag knee feeling - is that gonna be my new worst friend? When my knees swell it feels like tight bands across my knees, I get that. But the cement knees - can't seem to get a handle on the cause and effect there. Insights ?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm afraid it's very common, Nancy. Some people call it "log leg". It's caused by the internal and external swelling. It will go away gradually, but it will probably take longer than you'd like it to.
 
So glad to hear you were able to get good sleep. Keep doing what you have been doing. You are doing great!
 
@nensi So good to read your progress! I went yesterday for pre op dr appt, hospital registration and a class. Tuesday is coming fast! Reading your progress in just 2 wks remonds me ( and this is my 2nd) that this is all temporary! Keep up the good work!! And thanks for taking time to post!!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom