Bilateral TKR Nensi_New_Nees

Day 15: My attention span is improving ! I was able to knit a simple pattern without making mistakes [emoji13]
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Nensi_New_Nees
    auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170715_4b7653926428188e913ab014fc248635.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 186
Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday, my new ice machine was delivered ! Now I don't have to discriminate between knees. It made a big difference in the swelling. I also started the three pillow stack for elevating this morning. So far when I tried that, my legs got so numb I couldn't hold out for more than a half hour stint. Better today.
 
Yay, that's great news on the ice machine Nensi! And, your knitting is impressive!

I have had to use two pillows only for elevating when in a chair or on the sofa with an ottoman, otherwise my back gets aggravated and my legs get numb. I chose two, firm, thick pillows and that seems to work well. For lying flat in bed, I can use the Lounge Doctor, so I assume it's just a positional thing that affects a known underlying back condition.
 
Sadly enough, @Pheebs52, the fantastic lounge doctor is not available from Amazon in Belgium and shipping internationally from the manufacturer increases the cost three fold. A little too steep for me. I have a German made foam wedge which is BS approved which is ok.
 
Oh well, as I said, I can only use mine when prone in bed. Pillows work just as well once you have the right combination, and can keep them together. I'm sure the foam wedge you have is just as good as the LD!
 
about keeping the level of Tylenol in your blood up to have desired analgesic effect. How does this work when you cut back from let say 4 dosages to 3 to 2 ?
It's quite in keeping with the reduction of pain. People usually find they can reduce the number of doses they take as that happens.
 
I made my own ( 'lounge doctor' ) out of 3 pillows of varying size and thickness. Then I used a baby quilt and sewed them inside it. Am using it as I write. - I made it two weeks before operation.-
I might keep it this way until we have house guests and they need pillows. :-)
 
@nensi I just read your post and I'm so impressed with your recovery. I admire you BTKR people so much. I loved seeing your videos and pictures. My first surgery is Monday, and it was nice to have a visual of some of the exercises to expect.
 
It's quite in keeping with the reduction of pain. People usually find they can reduce the number of doses they take as that happens.
So @Josephine, if I understand correctly, still taking a dosage of 1000mg but 2 or 3 times a day instead of 4, yes?
 
@jboles, thanks for the nice praise, I accept any and all praise, try to do it as graciously as possible and believe you me, I re-read it when I am feeling down or impatient ! Wishing you all the best for your first knee tomorrow, and I'll be looking for you on the other side. What is the planning, do you have to in tonight (Sunday) ? And how far is the hospital from your home?
 
Congrats on the knitting! I thought my little garter stitch project would be just the thing, but nooo... And socks, or anything with a lot of shaping...I can't imagine!
 
Mornings are my great time. Even though I am a little stiff, the swelling is down so much from elevation and ice all night that once I warm up the knees trudging to the bathroom and do my morning meds routine, they give me a glimpse of the ROM they have in store for me. These days, I am thinking of my ROM as a sort of geocache, or an escape room where I have to hit all the right buttons or solve all the riddles to get there.
Since I cancelled the PT last Thursday I have definitely been making progress. It is infinitesimally slow progress, but it is still PROGRESS.
Today was shower day, also a morning thing - and I took my bandages off for good, washed my scars for the first time and posed for the 16 day picture. The VN recomended that I use lotion on the scars but I seem to have read here that I should just leave them alone, @Celle , could you point me to the link ?
The skin is very dry next to my scars,so I did body butter that, along with my reptile feet. I know, contortionist that I have been called, I can reach my feet to do that - sitting with my legs straight out on the hospital bed.
It felt so good,I almost didn't mind putting the TEDS back on. I was a little squeamish of the thought of having the TEDS in such intimate contact with my scar but it is actually OK. Then is was CPM time and my ROM (painless) has increased a smidgeon but with all the warming up (shower, towelling off, moisturizing massage) I wasn't surprised.
Now just icing and reading and starting a new knitting square and warming up for my afternoon nap. The kitties are ahead of me - one just installed himself between the keyboard and my chest
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nensi, your posts always make me smile, thanks for that! I love the idea of "warming up for your afternoon nap," LOL!:heehee:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Nensi_New_Nees
Ta-daaa. My legs are looking better than they have in years! The bruising on my thighs has almost all faded to yellow, just a tiny patch of purple. Now that I have "interacted" with my scar, which I have to say was a bit intimidating, I notice that I have some slight bruising there as well. Reading other threads and seeing so many times that Celle has referred us back to the weekly progression chart for tkrs, I forced myself to re-read again and again and YES, I think I have to print them out. Just a few minutes ago, I caught myself thinking that I would help with the ironing today - but - that is at week 4-5 and I am in week 3.
Reality check, I am elevating and icing.
 
How long do you have to wear the dreaded TEDS?
y'know Pheebs my daughters have been taunting me about that. I have to have the phlebitis injections for 30 days (today was day 11 or 12) and my eldest claims that the VN said six weeks for the TEDS. I thought my discharge orders said 4 weeks, which matches better to the injections. I DO NOT KNOW. I was wondering if I could tie-dye them. I actually have two pair of the dreaded things, so I think that I will risk it.
 
Oh Nensi, I really hope it's 4 weeks and not 6 for the TEDS! Love the tie-dye idea though, lol! I only wore mine for a week and felt like a madwoman the entire time; ugh! But, my thigh was very swollen and they were digging in to such an extent a bruise developed. I suggest a party when you can ditch those babies.:heehee:

@jboles, wishing you the best of luck tomorrow! You'll be thrilled to have it behind you and I look forward to your posts from the Recovery side. Have you set up your Recovery thread?

That's a long ride home, so be sure to be well medicated prior and remind the chauffeur to have several pillows and some ice-packs in a cooler in the car. The back seat is definitely where you'll want to be.
 
I love reading your posts and seeing your photos @nensi. I'm working through my pre-surgery to-do checklist, and my reward is a break to see if you've posted any news. Your new knees are looking fantastic! My sister's very wise midwife told her until she took a look at the "damages" head on, she would have trouble recovering from giving birth. I think the knee scars are the same - creepy to look at, but after you do, you decide they're not so bad. You are already starting to love YOUR new knees, rather than seeing them as foreign body invaders. One more turning point to celebrate!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom