Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Nensi_New_Nees

Thanks for the encouragement, @Thesoutherncook. Posting gives structure to my days. Now that I am starting to feel more myself, I can do more than read Bonesmart, but it is still the first thing I reach for with my morning coffee! Waiting for the doctor to remove my stitches. Wiggling my toes, freed from the TEDS for a few minutes, our big tiger cat snoozing full-out snuggled up to righty.
@Josephine - I have read your advice several times about keeping the level of Tylenol in your blood up to have desired analgesic effect. How does this work when you cut back from let say 4 dosages to 3 to 2 ?
Don't get me wrong, I am NOT contemplating such a move, I am in a very good place as far as pain mgt goes, I am just curious. Can't help it, its my nature, I am a scientist and the "why?" reflex is a given.
 
Woot woot! My stitches are history, babyeeee! Oh yeah, they pricked but I had a strong son Tonio hand to squeeze. That ice is gonna feel SO good.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yay! Stitches out! I too am totally envious about the house call. Makes so much sense at that stage of recovery rather than have the patient on the move. Your attitude is effervescent and can only be help to your glowing recovery. :smile2:
 
Hi nensi

My swelling took 6 months to go away. When I first heard that from the people here I thought they were crazy!
I am a pediatrician and the swelling I know leaves after a few days to few weeks. But trust me almost all the advice here is priceless. Given by those who have first hand experience.
So tread forward and you will get there with all our help
 
Ooh, Susieshoes, I like the sound of that - "glowing recovery" - I'm in!
Seriously it is a self fulfilling prophecy for me, if I focus on all the things that I cannot do (yet), depression will be a certainty.
We ordered a second ice cuff and machine more than a week ago and IT CAME TODAY. Stitches out and two ice machines for two knees, it really doesn't get any better than this at the end of week 2.
Right, and her ROM, you're thinking, why isn't she talking about that? All this talk about ASQ (All star quads) and nose to the knee, cut to the chase - what's her ROM.
Right, dismal. But Celle has convinced me (and Inam gonna need to convince our family PT when she gets back from Canada) that my ROM is there, waiting to rise and shine when the time is right. Keep saying that over and over to myself - mantra.....
Still and all, the only correlation to ROM after surgery was your ROM before surgery and mine was pretty poor (60/70).
So if ROM can't be my next goal, any ideas ? I was looking forward to stitches out - we got that !
Another question: it seems that you guys go from walker to cane ? Here they taught me walker to crutches, but I would like the cane, so I could have a free hand. When did you make the switch from walker to cane?
 
@Dearjr - thanks ! Most of us are a bit older than your patients and considerably less resilient.
Okay, resigned myself to the long haul with the cement knees. The help here is invaluable, priceless and often so caring, just what I need !
 
Hi Nensi,
I used trekking sticks pre op if I had to walk further than 500m pre-op December to May.

If I had to use underground then I would take one crutch to almost guarantee me a seat. Teehee.
Here at the "patient info talk" they drilled into us crutches outside until week six, even if you can walk freely at home. They said if you are alone, borrow or rent a walker for home, as one can transport things easier. The hospital physiotherapist said she preferred people to use a single crutch and not a cane at home because of the stability. There were protests in the audience.
I'm considering getting a fold up or telescope cane for the future.
My gait is best w 2 trekking sticks and easier on my hands!
 
You could set some functional goals instead to try to move away from ROM obsession - like you are doing now in thinking about what the next transition will be for assistive devices. Increased walking targets (avoiding the ODIC), and then, over time, stationary bike, stairs, etc.
 
Walking targets sound like a good idea @kmak81230. I haven't been outside for a walk since my half block ODIC.
 
Nensi, docs make house calls over there? Wow, what a country! The last house call I ever received was about.....50 years ago and to this day, I still miss them.

Getting those stitches out is such a big milestone and such a relief; whoohoo!

Now, what's next? I agree with Kmak on setting some functional goal, probably in the walking department. The trick will be to not overdo, so set a time limit for your total. Perhaps start with just 10 minutes? If that works well, meaning no additional pain/swelling, add a minute or two for each trip.

The *cement-knee* is still fairly cemented here, though a bit looser than it was. It's annoying, but it doesn't seem to hinder me from doing much. Basically, I think of it as a long, slow, erosion process until we finally become *uncemented.* We probably don't even notice the minute changes each day, but I'm fairly certain they happen.

I went from walker, to two crutches, to one crutch to a cane. It was my decision, based on which offered me the most stability. I also found 2 crutches much more comfortable than a walker. It's great to have one free-hand, but not if you are sacrificing stability and a decent gait. Outdoors, 2 crutches feels very secure. I don't use anything indoors and haven't for awhile, but I still use a cane outdoors, mostly due to uneven surfaces, hills and crowds of people. I will continue to use it until I feel 100%, which, may take a year; hah!
 
You asked about keeping a level of tylenol in your system a few posts back. Basically, just try to keep on a schedule, rather than taking it only when the pain level goes up. That's what I did/do.
 
I'm just catching up on the last few days, Nancy. I absolutely love reading your posts - your vivid descriptions and your optimistic perspectives. Your determination really shines through everything, which is an asset for sure.

My great PT used to ask me how long it took for me to recover from the last PT session. The answer she was looking for was 1-2 hours. If it took longer than that, she would have backed off. Fortunately she had a very gentle approach, so I don't think it ever took a day to recover. That measure helped me regarding my own efforts. I couldn't wait to get back into the kitchen and cook. If I could sit down afterwards and feel fine an hour later, I'd figure that was about right. If it took a day to recover, I'd know that it was way too much.

Regarding moving to a cane, I want to caution you about increasing the likelihood of tripping, twisting, or taking a mis-step. Even though your new knees can probably stand up to those issues, it really hurts and can cause a day or more of writhing in bed. Not worth it! Don't let your determination become a liability in your recovery.

Keep up the positive thinking! Hugs to you.
Sara
 
@nensi Re: transition to cane. The OS I saw likes people to start with a walker and expects that at around 2 weeks they will be transitioning to a cane--but also says it should only happen when you feel stable on a cane. My clue was when I began pushing the walker around one-handed! Might be cane time! At this point, with just one knee done and in the 4th week of recovery, I sometimes use a cane in the house and sometimes walk unassisted but always use a cane outside.
 
Still and all, the only correlation to ROM after surgery was your ROM before surgery and mine was pretty poor (60/70).
Some people say that's true, but it's not inevitable. If your ROM was poor before surgery, it might take a bit longer to achieve a good ROM, because your muscles and tendons will have had years of being used to a poor ROM and they will have to stretch and lengthen again. You can't rush that, because trying to do it too fast could lead to damage.
We've had people here on BoneSmart whose final ROM was much better than their pre-op ROM.
So if ROM can't be my next goal, any ideas ? I was looking forward to stitches out - we got that !
Another question: it seems that you guys go from walker to cane ? Here they taught me walker to crutches, but I would like the cane, so I could have a free hand. When did you make the switch from walker to cane?
I went from walker, to two crutches, to one crutch to a cane. It was my decision, based on which offered me the most stability. I also found 2 crutches much more comfortable than a walker. It's great to have one free-hand, but not if you are sacrificing stability and a decent gait.
I was going to say what Pheebs said, but she beat me to it!

I started off with two crutches - I was only allowed a walker the first day in hospital, but was then shown how to use two crutches. I transitioned to one crutch when i realised I was starting to leave the second crutch behind, sometimes in another room. Once I was completely steady on one crutch, I gradually changed to using a cane.
Don't change from one support apparatus to another until you feel safe and ready to do it.
 
I went from a walker to a cane once I found myself folding up the walker to get it through narrow places. Tried crutches for a different surgery and didn't like them. Guess it depends on what feels the best.
 
What an outpouring of insights, what a wealth of information, you guys are golden. Imma gonna say it again, in case you haven't read it before in one of my posts: I don't know what I would have done without you, everyone of you. It would have been a struggle and now it's a walk in the park.
Haha, just kidding.
@Happydale, your recovery time after an effort or activity is indeed a good measure, at this point it pretty much takes me overnight to recover from an error in judgement. Isn't that a nice word ? Thanks for cautioning me about missteps, in fact my fear of falling is in fact what motivated me to have the surgery now, I had lost my balance and taken a few quite ridiculous, fall-like-a-tree falls and luckily enough just ended up with gigantic bruising on my ample Italian butt.
 
Sometimes this big butts are a blessing! Falling is a real fear for all of us, especially in the early days. Caution is certainly necessary!
 
I like that error in judgement! So glad your stitches are gone!!!!I know it feels so much better!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom