Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Nensi_New_Nees

Great to see you made it through so successfully. Having just done bilateral 5 weeks ago, I have a few tips.
1. The articles on this forum really help.
2. Stay ahead of your pain, don't wait until you start hurting.
3. Don't overdo the therapy but movement at first is important.
4. Try to be patient! It does get better and some days you'll feel like youve gone back a step. That's normal as you are healing every day.
5. Hydrate well and eat, even if you don't feel like it.

Good luck in your recovery!
 
For the first week home, I mostly ate from a tray beside my recliner or bed. I ate from the table twice, with my legs up on an ottoman. But I didn't stay at the table long because the lower chairs, without arms, were a bit uncomfortable to get into and up from. So I recommend a chair with arms and an ottoman.

I left the hospital two days post-op in a car. Toyota Corolla. Not a big car. I put the front seat all the way back and was able to get in. It hurt a little because of bending the knees, but the half hour ride was comfy enough. Of course, I had to get back out once we reached home.
 
Hope you are feeling better! I was scared stiff about coming home! The PT lady at the hospital scared me the most! Had me practice stairs in a stairwell on the third floor with cement stairs- completely real-world but I was not ready for that! Then asked what kind of vehicle we have - crew cab ford truck. Then she proceeded to explain how I was going to have to maneuver into it and how difficult it was going to be and that perhaps my husband could rent a better car. Ugh. Then I remembered one of the bonesmarties saying he just put the rear seats up and slid in and sat on the floor! So we came up with our own plan and with a few extra pillows I rode that way for the 30 minute drive home! I figured out the stairs on my own and even though I couldn't get completely comfortable last night- it's great to be home and onward I will go! This forum and all of you are a Godsend for me! Motivating and helpful and intertaining! Thank you all for being there for me and with me!
 
Hi Nensi, it sounds like you're doing great! About my trip home from the hospital, I'm a city dweller and I don't drive. I've always used public transportation and had planned on using a taxi to get home. However, my boss gave me a couple of vouchers for the car service used by the office for my return home. Since I live alone I had asked a friend to help me get home after the discharge. So, on my discharge day as I was pushing a walker through the hospital lobby I noticed a security guard standing by the door with her hands behind her back. As I got even with her she pulled out a large baggie with several blue frozen gel packs from behind her back. She said it was a gift from the hospital for my ride home. The whole lobby broke out in laughter and clapping. The car sent by the car service was rather small and my friend and I were both in the backseat but I was able to sit at angle with my leg straight out without having to bend it. I wrapped the ice pack around it and was fairly comfortable. The ride took approximately a half hour and was fairly smooth. I live in an old building on the second floor but there's an elevator that has always worked. Unfortunately, the day I was was discharged it was broken! Thank goodness I was taught how to go up and down stairs before I was discharged. My poor friend though had to run up and down several times to get all my stuff up. I owe her a big fancy dinner!
 
Thank you all for the car stories! I think I will be going with the back seat, both legs on the seat with pillows. It's about a 30 min drive on local roads. My son Tonio, 18 years old has clamoured to be the designated driver. He has had several orthopedic procedures in his young life (he is a basketballer) and really understands how hurtful the bumps and turns can be. I'm good with that.
Tomorrow I will shower here - yah ! - my dizziness seems to be improving. Eating potato chips to bump up my bp. And chattering up a storm while walking - keeps me breathing.
Three walks today and getting up for bathroom with supervision. Really making me feel human again.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Going home will be so good! Make sure to have your meds straight and to have and some to take with you, if the hospital will fill them for you.

Be sure to let us know how you get along after getting home.
 
GOing home is going to feel so good! It really does. Like you are in the right place to do your healing. Plus you will have all your loved ones and favorite things at hand.
 
I went home in the front seat (20 minute ride). We have a small SUV so I found it the perfect height to put my bottom on and then with the seat right back I slowly swung each leg around.
It was an exhausting trip and made me quite lightheaded so was glad to get home into my recliner!
 
So glad to hear you are heading home. There is no place like it. For meals, early on I ate while sitting in my recliner. Later on I moved to the table.
 
Showering was such a milestone that it merited its own post !
Busy morning, navigating to the shower in the hallway on my own steam with walker, used shower chair bench to shower. Getting dressed was a challenge but I did make wise clothes choices - wide Capri pants with elastic waist. Back to my room - dressings changed - longing for bed and ice ..... PT showed up.
Leg swings with a light counterweight, leg lifts with 7 second hold, 20 reps, and leg extension with a light weight on knee for 10 minutes. It sounds grisly but I have to admit - it was NOT painful. Practiced with crutches, I have to talk out loud. or sing to keep breathing right, otherwise I get dizzy. Silly but it works. Also learned how to do stairs up and down. And jep, now enjoying freshly filled ice buckets and covering myself up for a nap before lunch :). Life is good. So nice to be happy with such accomplishments.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Enjoy that well deserved nap! Be careful with those weights. I know BoneSmart does not recommend use of any weights until month 3 or 4. I don't remember which. It may cause some setbacks. Do you go home today? Rest well!:sleeep:
 
You're doing well @nensi , you will be fine going home, especially as your son understands what you will be going through. I live on an island off the Scottish coast and my journey consisted of a half hour car trip to ferry, an hour on the ferry then a 20minute road trip to our house. I managed it ok as I think adrenaline took over but as soon as I got to house I just collapsed weeping into a chair, I was exhausted! The upside of it was that I thought well if I could do that three days after surgery then going in car to physio etc would be fine, which it was. Good luck with your journey home :smile2:
 
Too much jubilation - bloed too low - 2 units transfusion needed - have to stay one more day :(


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The transfusions will be good for you. Surgeons try to have patients recover without them, but with bilaterals there is more blood loss. I never did get a transfusion, but then it took me six weeks to get my blood back to where it should be. Lots of being tired, dizzy, and weak. So you may be able to avoid some of that, and that's a good thing! Sorry you have to stay the extra day, though. You were all excited to go home, and there really is no place like home! You'll get there tomorrow, though.
 
It's certainly better that doc is acting on the side of precaution and also better than having a horrible fainting and fall at home and then having to take you back to the hospital again.
You'll be home soon.
 
@SusieShoes I remember reading about the issues you had, so yes, absolutely rationally very glad to get the boost now. Just an emotional speed bump. I'll get over it. Good news is my iPad Pro arrived today so it will be part of the welcoming committee :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@VW54 sure thing - dizziness fainting and falling are def not on my wish list - thanks for the encouraging words! Maybe time to watch some TV after all.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Lilli215 your trip home sounded like a quest ! Yikes. Mine is gonna be a walk in the park compared to that!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You're in the best place you can be for your low blood. You will be feeling so much better once that blood is in you. Tomorrow will be here before you know it!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom