Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Nensi_New_Nees

It sounds like you are doing great. Try not to stress about PT (says the girl who stressed about her first PT). You will do great. I can't wait to hear how it goes.
 
My bladder issues have worked out ! Now waiting for the first BM. My normal diet includes a lot more veggies and fruit that I have been getting - I'll get a kiwi airlift from home today. @knit2tog thanks for the words of encouragement !
I was able to do leg lifts in Day 0 and day 1 here in Day 2 I can do them but are painful!- quads screaming on the inside.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Busy morning @ PT. My daughter Gabriella was here on time to go to PT with me. Getting up on those new knees is still amazing. My biggest issue is with dizziness and nausea. My blood pressure is normally on the low side 110/60 and standing up causes it to drop. Walker to the therapy ! Needed a nap after all that :)












Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry too much about the numbers they expect from you or what others get. Your knees will run there own race. I was only about 70 flexion after 2 weeks in hospital/rehab but have slowly worked my way up to about 120. My OS is is very happy with my progress, saying I will continue to improve up u til 12 months or even 2 years.
Remember recovery is a marathon not a race.
 
Miralax (don't know what that would be in Belgium) helped me with constipation. Vegetables, fruit, nothing got it done for me, but thankfully one of my nurses suggested Miralax.
 
Nensi, can I borrow some of your flexion? I won't be greedy, just need a bit, lol! Every time I look at your photos my jaw drops in amazement.:egypdance:
 
Well, yesterday was a bipolar day - as I already reported, the AM PT session was good: motivating and exhausting. After a nap, my dinner arrived: salty vegetable soup, turkey with a mustard sauce and butter beans. I ate the soup and a bit of the meat and lots of beans and Gabriella finished the rest. Pretty shortly I began a gastro-entero nightmare which lasted about 12 hours. I was able to have my first BMs - woot woot - but had intense stomach pain followed by numerous bouts of nausea. The nurses tried their whole spectrum of anti-nausea drugs and ended up installing a new IV to dose paracetamol for pain and keep my liquids up. My visitors were treated to a writhing in pain miserable patient. Around 12 hours later it subsided and I was able to drink some coke and a cracker and keep it down!
Figure that one out! The only thing we could imagine was that perhaps the veggie soup also contained broccoli. Growing up as an Italian American that was a staple and much loved veggie. Unfortunately around age 40 I could not eat even the slightest bit without intense cramping.
Whatever. Just SO glad it's over! Stomach is tender now but hopefully tomorrow, Day 3 will be better.
Starting to get some burning pain behind my heel on lefty and my first leg lifts of the day are also much more painful.
Gonna catch a few more [emoji99] now.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@DebM @Pheebs52 Got it ! Coming from a Rom of 60-70 before the operation I too find this amazing !
No stressing about that !


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
This first week will become a distant memory and a blur with many pieces missing. Promise:console2:
 
Oh Nensi, how awful to hear about your stomach woes; ugh! Just when you were doing so well; pffft! I'm glad to hear it seems to have settled down and hope it will stay that way. I find broccoli can be difficult as well so do my best to avoid it, but with hospital food, it's often almost unidentifiable. I know you'll be happy to get home and eat some *real* food....made by someone else of course.:SUNsmile:

Hah, I'm sure you do find your astonishing flexion amazing; enjoy! I only need to *borrow* about 10 degrees; thanks in advance.:happydance:
 
I loved watching the videos! Sorry to hear about the tummy troubles. Hopefully that is all behind you.
 
oh poor you with those tummy cramps ~ do you think they were gas pains? i had those in the 2nd and 3rd week prior to b.m., which didn't happen for the first 8 days or so. i was helped by natural black liquorice. all the other stuff for constipation gave me terrible diarrhea ~ so glad that's over with. you were doing great on that exercise machine ~ good for you. i hope you start feeling a lot better soon.
 
I'm sorry you had such bad stomach cramps, nensi. I bet it was the beans!
 
Doctors assistant was just here on morning rounds, proposed sending me home today, nothing doing ! I want a strong day here to recover from the stomach nightmare yesterday. He agreed quickly :)
Question: in week 1 at home - do you eat at the table? Legs up ? Or better to stick to a tray on the hospital bed?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You guys are wonderful mothers - that's what I miss the most in the rare moments of sickness. For some reason moms are so important when you have a stomach thing ! Thanks [emoji173]️


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Nensi
Week 1 and 2 I did eat at the table but I put my operated leg up. You have two. Hmm. Can you put both up and still eat at a table?
Funny though as of day three, when the fat bandage came off, the nurses expected me to get out of bed for all meals and sit at the table, even though my flexion was only about 70. I managed but I ate quickly. :-)
When I went out last week, week 4, there were picnic tables. I put my leg up most of the time.
At week 4 I can have leg down,(about an hour, then it feels stretched,) but I still use every opportunity to have my leg up. Every one is different though.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Haha @VW54, that be a challenge at our table, I think ! But it would be so nice to have a normal ! Nevertheless if I can't elevate at the table I'll stick to a tray table.
Another question- how long was your drive home and where did you sit? With pillows to elevate?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hehe...I did write about my concerns on my thread early on as to how I would get into our small car (Skoda Fabia) The clinic Ergotherapist gave me a great tip as well as others on this forum.
Since it was my left leg: I got in with my behind first behind the driver and slid all the way back to behind the front passenger seat. My leg raised on the back seat. My DH hid away the seat belt anchors so I could have a smooth entire back seat.
Even yesterday's outing I travelled that way. Getting out was the reverse procedure. Holding on to the seats for leverage.
I also did this when I went by taxi to and from home and clinic to get my stitches out 14 days later. But those were comfy big Mercedes.:-)
When my friend gave me a ride and I had to get in and out of her VW Golf front passenger seat, it was very slow and a bit painful.
Hope someone w bilateral can tell you how they did it.
From clinc to home with traffic it was 30 minutes and I held on to my knee because the jiggly motion hurt me.
 
I didn't eat at the table until week 4. I ate in my chair with legs up. Anytime spent with my legs down meant swelling=pain. At week 4 I made my first meal, threw some chicken and stuffing in the crock pot and after it cooked for a couple of hours (during which my legs were elevated) I did sit at the table to eat.
 
Hi Nensi! So glad your tummy woes are gone! I can not believe your bending in your photos :goodpost:! Most impressive! My trip home was an hour + ride, I rode in the front seat, and it was rough! If I were you I would do the backseat with legs up and have them bring pillows so you can adjust for comfort! Either that or have then go buy a big van with a recliner in the back!!! Hope this day is the best yet! ((hugs))
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom