Bilateral TKR Nensi_New_Nees

Hello nensi, congratulations on your arrival to the wonderful installation of brand new knees! It sounds like your recovery is off to a great start. I haven't been on BoneSmart for awhile, so I just now read through your pre-op and recovery threads. I love your posts, and especially all the photos and videos! I'm very impressed with your leg movements already. Pay attention to how amazing it is the first time you put your weight down on your new knees. I found it exhilarating after my right TKR - it felt so solid and strong.

I will be heading to the hospital July 20 for my left knee, and right about now I commend you for making this a one-time experience. Good for you! And best wishes for a comfortable and happy recovery.
 
Good luck with your recovery. I don't think I could handle a bilateral TKR. I hope your recovery goes well.
 
wowza nensi ~ look at the bend you have already! you're going to do great.
 
@nensi, we're all watching over you! It sounds as though you're doing very well, just keep those pain meds coming! :SUNsmile:
 
Oh my gosh, I just watched your video and your flexion is astonishing! :wowspring:
 
member pic 1.jpg

My night nurse freed me - feels fantastic to really wiggle my toes [emoji4][emoji258]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just read through all your posts- a big hug for all if you - feels great to have such support [emoji173]️


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
And now I am all packed in again with my new best friends slushy left and slushy right. I didn't even dream that ice could feel SOOO good.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had a pretty good night, catnapping and asking for pain meds on time. I have had nausea with the Tramodol but it


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had a pretty good night, catnapping and asking for pain meds on time. I have had nausea with the Tramodol but it


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

... But it passes pretty quickly. Kine just stopped in and set up the cpm but I stopped her already at 55. Probably could have done more but I am scared of pain.
Question: my urge to urinate has not come back and also really have to push hard to go.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Another BRAVE woman having both done at the same time!
Hope your second night was good and with no pain. Wishing you all the very best for good and steady healing.
Ice, when nurses opted to bring some to me, felt like a treat. Then once home, day 6, I got to have as many as DH (or self) could get. (our freezer worked overtime and fridge went wonky)
Re urinary problems, one month post op and I notice a difference in that when I feel an urge, I must get to the WC quickly. That is probably still from the catheter. You wrote you didn't have one.
Am sure a nurse on this forum will explain what's happening in that regard.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am setting up in the chair. I stood up on them knees !


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just look at you @nensi, standing up on those shiny, new knees; huzzah! :flwrysmile: Isn't it just thrilling to realize the awful, arthritis pain is completely gone?

Like you, I didn't have a catheter in the hospital. Urinating took some effort for about a week, though I had the urge frequently. It just seemed like a slow process once I was situated on the throne....a not very forceful stream, despite the need. I've no idea why this was, (spinal perhaps?) but all was well about a week later.
 
Hi @nensi ! Looks like we are well on our way! I had a catheter but I am also slow going now. Isn't sitting in a chair great! Keep positive and we will be good as new before we know it!
 
Lots of people have reported urinary issues, including incontinence, after TKR. It's transient but annoying. You have lots of company, but it's good to know this too shall pass.

It's amazing to stand on two new knees. There's wonder at realizing "Hey, they're holding me!" And more at realizing they don't hurt. The surgery hurts. The incision and your soft tissues hurt. But the knees themselves don't hurt. It's truly a relief.
 
@nensi, you are doing just great! After reading through all the BoneSmart experiences, one can anticipate many different issues that may arise - like urinary and bowel problems, being cold, crying a lot, nausea, etc., etc. Some might think they'd rather not know, but for me, I think it was helpful. Knowing that others have had some of these problems made me worry less. And a BIG a-ha for me was that the nurses (and then my PT once I was at home) were experts at addressing these things. They would always offer "try this" or "try that" and I'd get a helpful suggestion.

Celebrate all your little milestones, and putting some weight on your legs to get to a chair is one of them!!! Good for you.:wowspring:
 
@Happydale Hello, nice to hear from you and a "right on" to your post! Reading posts is sometimes such an effort on Day 1 that I don't have the energy to post. But the support network that Bonesmart peeps offers is fantastic!
Here's me in my chair !
member pic 2.jpg
member pic 3.jpg



Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Kare2dare - yes, my dear, sitting in that chair was a major leap. It helped the nagging lower back I was experiencing from lying in bed so long, it wore me out so that I could take a lovely long nap and it seems to have woken up my pee trigger. I could go on and on but I just want to stay in that feeling.
I must say that I am a little nervous about the PT tomorrow. My OS told me that the ROM that I achieve will be related to my ROM before surgery since my knee was so stiff, the ligaments will need to stretch. He is even warning me that I will have to work in these early days to achieve 90. But from what I have read most people achieve that in the hospital. Having expressed these doubts - I can get rid of them and just see what happens, knowing I will refuse pain. Still sounding a little loopy on the pain meds. My kids are enjoying the nonsense that pops out of my mouth from the meds...
 
It's not unusual to have some problems with your bladder after knee replacements. I think the best idea is to set a schedule for bathroom visits, and go at that time, whether you feel you need to go, or not.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom