Bilateral TKR Nensi_New_Nees

Look like freezer burn to me, nensi. Are you sure you've had them adequately protected under the ice?
 
Freezer burn makes sense! Of course Josephine would know! It kind of looked like my skin did after I had the kenesio taping done and it was on several days. I hope it clears soon with no problems!

I could use some Belgium chocolates! Yumm
 
Thinking of chocolate, I have a friend who lives in Elizabethtown, PA and the Dove chocolate factory is there. They were melting the first time I ever went and visited her. The entire town smelled of melted chocolate, I envisioned myself sitting in a giant vat of creamy melted chocolate, tasting away!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Nensi_New_Nees
All this talk about chocolate, next pit stop gonna get me some. We have a 5 lb bag of dark chocolate chips (Belgian, of course) in our freezer...ALWAYS ! Or mostly 70% cacao bars in the refrigerator door.
Currently I'm icing and crocheting on my new "pass the time resisting the Netflix binge" project.
A cool alternative to paper towelling, throw in the ever present laundry load and uses up leftover bits from odd projects.
I have taken to timing things, remember it's the scientist me desperately trying to have some grip on this process after accepting totally that my new knees are in the driver's seat. So yesterday and today I am timing my ice/elevate time to make sure it is long and efficient enough.
After several days of no posting I am feeling very chatty today!
 
I have this incredible urge to order some chocolate. I'm so happy to hear you're feeling better, Nancy, and back to your chatty, charming self. Your red spots do look like freezer burn, by golly. I got it once, a big patch on one of my calves, from wrapping a blanket-sized gel pack around my left knee and missing my pants leg. It was painless but an eye-catching bright red. At least it doesn't itch, right?

Reading about your projects is so much fun!
 
5 weeks - FIVE weeks !
Almost 10% of the way to recovery, euh, now that's a humbling number.
No fear, these last days feeling mostly elated, not too bored.
But achy because I am getting more active trying to test my limits without joining the ODIC.
Right. Good luck with that.
Would be nice to have a Knee-o-Meter with a light and sound indicator so you could pace yourself.
And an app to match the effort to what's left in the knees.
Alas and a lack ...
Since the beginning of this week I have been walking without crutches or cane !
Inside. Outside I still use one crutch.
Even though my gait is certainly worthy of the Ministry of Silly Walks, it still gets me from here to there and back again. My PT has me doing exaggerated heel-toe rolling and stepping as if I have to step over a box. I think of that box as my little red box of patience.
I am starting to understand the BS chatter over quads and hamstrings.
I thought that I was out of the woods when I was able to lift my legs right after surgery.
Uhhh, nope, you're thinkin' right ?
I now understand that achieving my bend has more to do with stretching my quads and thick hamstrings than my knee and swelling. My ROM was 60-70 before surgery and also was for many years, so although I have good muscle tone from my elliptical workouts and still being limber - palms on the ground bend those darn hamstrings do not want to accommodate the bend.
Live and learn. Here I was reading those posts and thinking - not me !
Still and all, with my bend I was easily able to go up our 17 stairs to my bedroom for the first time in 4 weeks.
It was more than time for, as Susie it so capapbly formulated it, some connubial bliss...
Ahhhhhh....
 
Y'know, @SusieShoes, I stopped scrutinizing the dreaded red spot. Nope, doesn't itch. And since Josephine's adept observation, I am wearing a legging under my ice cuffs instead of the thin TEDS. So it's a sort of chain reaction - since I am wearing the leggings, I am not scrutinzing it ! Gotta be a good thing but at my next throne slide Imma gonna check, capische?
 
Connubial bliss is wonderfully affirming. It lets the rest of the body know we haven't forgotten it, and are thinking about it in ways that go beyond those pesky knees. At some point it becomes necessary to tell the knees the world is not about them. We have bigger concerns, other loves.

Create the Knee-O-Meter app. Methinks there's a market. :heehee:
 
Chat attack number three today -- tomorrow I see my OS for first check up since surgery !
Any input about questions I should ask ?
 
Red spot update - looking a lot less angry red and seems to be receding- kudos to @Josephine for the freezer burn call !


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Glad you're back to chatting with us. You were missed. I did not mean to derail your thread with chocolate talk..although that beats thinking nonstop about knees!?

Love you app idea..get to work on that!

You are doing amazingly well! Never underestimate your progress! I see you as being twice as far as the rest of us. That first 10% of recoverys is by far the hardest. I promise, it gets easier as times goes on.
 
Back
Top Bottom