Bilateral TKR Nensi_New_Nees

Ha! Checking in after my afternoon nap. More entertainment than nap because more often than not I wake myself up with a snort- snurk. Much to the amusement of the other couch potatoes in my immediate vicinity. @Happydale, nice to hear that you are enjoying my musings, I am really loving this connection. It's Thursday for you, right? We'll be here for you ! I am still being plagued by random thoughts - just realized that I haven't eaten my MDR of stewed prunes- sounds like a mission to me. I'm off !
And your sister's midwife is indeed a wise woman.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The VN recomended that I use lotion on the scars but I seem to have read here that I should just leave them alone, @Celle , could you point me to the link ?
The skin is very dry next to my scars,so I did body butter that, along with my reptile feet.
Here's the article, Nancy:
Massage post THR

It's OK to put any sort of moisturiser on the rest of your legs - just keep it well away from your incisions.
Once the incisions are completely healed, with no open areas or scabs, you can also moisturise them as well. The danger of doing it before then is that you might unwittingly introduce some infection.
 
Re the TEDS, I also got 2 pairs. I was told I had to wear them if I would be resting most of the day. If however at day 10, I was getting up at least every hour for 5 to 10 minutes I could dispense with them since I was taking anti cougulant meds anyway. So I did...besides we were having a heat wave.
I do plan to keep them, one pair at least, to wear on our transatlantic flight, 4 months hence.
If you too plan such a flight in the near future, keep a pair for that reason.
 
I never had to wear the TEDS. I was so thankful for that! Nancy, your knees look great and you never had much swelling. How blessed you are! Now, to get you out of those terrible hose!
 
I was told to wear my Teds for 6 weeks and was happy to be rid of them when the time was up. I had developed a callus between two toes from having them scrunched up, and am now trying to get rid of that, by keeping the toes separated, which means wearing socks to keep the little wedgy thing in. No problem with that, as it's winter here. I had two pairs of Teds, so I could wash a pair in the shower and they'd be dry by the next day. I am now just past week 7, and making good progress. It's SO GOOD to be able to get out of bed in the morning and.......just walk! No more edging sideways around the bed, hanging on, until my knees decided to co-operate, like I did before surgery.

@Happydale, all the best for your surgery on the 20th!
 
I never had to wear TEDS, either. I was pretty active, though, and took lots of short walks--though I have no idea really why my OS didn't order them. I wore them for a couple weeks after my abdominal surgeries, and I was walking lots more after those operations.
 
So @Josephine, if I understand correctly, still taking a dosage of 1000mg but 2 or 3 times a day instead of 4, yes?
Yes, as before, let your body be your guide. There are no rules, no 'do's and don'ts' about this. As your pain diminishes, so should the amount of pain meds you are taking. If one day you find you've cut back a little too much too soon, then just take a dose to catch up! It's not rocket science!
It felt so good,I almost didn't mind putting the TEDS back on. I have to have the phlebitis injections for 30 days (today was day 11 or 12) and my eldest claims that the VN said six weeks for the TEDS.
To be honest, I quit using mine on day 4. There was a study done in the UK (I wish I could find it) that gave pretty good evidence that they don't actually do what they are said to do and are a waste of time and money!

Since I cancelled the PT last Thursday I have definitely been making progress. It is infinitesimally slow progress, but it is still PROGRESS.
That's the ticket!
 
:heehee:I paint on silk scarves....maybe there's a project for me...painting on TEDS? I have to wear them this time, too. NOT looking forward to that, but last time the swelling caused the most discomfort. Hoping they will do their job!
 
Well, Day 17 started out as a down day, probably a good thing that I "waited" so long to post, otherwise it would have been a rant litany. I just stopped "fearing" the nights and last night was not one of my best. Ok, not complaining now, because my nights have been much better than others, but I was out of sorts with everything - not so much pain, but could not get comfortable, always something that wasn't working: too hot, bathrobe scrunched under me, ice not doing anything to speak of, cat nurse lying in the wrong place, gut feeling icky, underpants sticking, TEDS itching - you name it, it just wasn't right.
Then this AM, two of the kids had early vacation work and got out of the house around 8AM and DH kept coming to see if I was awake so he could start up the dryer. (When I am sleeping there is a moratorium on using the dryers because of the noisy dryer balls).
Just out of sorts. Of course, as a scientist, I always have to look for a reason. Decided not to but just conclude, not enough walking, too many hours in the house and not drinking enough water.
Sooooooooo, getting started on the improvement program - just got back from 10 minute walk and settling in for ice and elevating.
 
@VW54 and all the other TED advice, thank you ! And yes, good idea for long flights. I go to Shanghai one of two times a year for business- a flight of 9-11 hours. Not sure when I will be going the next time.
I have decided to accept the dratted TEDS for now and take them off now and again since I am getting enough movement. Actually have to admit that I like them for icing with my cuff, they are just the right thickness to protect the knees. I have two icing setups -gel packs in the recliner and cuffs in my hospital bed. When I use the gel packs I prefer a towel on my knees.
The weather is so beautiful today that I'm planning to ask my baby boy to put my recliner outside.
Sounds like a major task but these are quite light - we have even taken one on vacation for my DH's lousy back.
 
Nensi, sitting outdoors on a gorgeous day is a fine remedy for any leftover *blues*! Your night sounds like one nuisance piled on top of another, and of course, cumulatively, they all add up and = grumpy! And often, poor sleep. The sunshine and fresh air goes such a long way toward erasing our inner Oscar the Grouch.

I'm trying to envision a recliner light enough to carry outdoors or bring on vacation and all I can come up with is a LaFuma lounger. Is that what you are using? I have one outdoors and love it.

Glad to hear you managed your 10 minute walk; whoohoo!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Nensi_New_Nees
This is it @Pheebs52, it's made by a mom&pop company in a beautiful city, Lier, about 30 minutes from where we live. I bought one many many years ago (23) when I had bedrest after a almost miscarriage with my first pregnancy, we still have it but in need of a new cover. I was able to convince my boss to order one for me at work and for the time being the new one is at home with me - I'll post a pic later of me in the back yard. Thanks for the words of encouragement!
 
Wow, that's a gorgeous chair Nensi and looks very comfortable; enjoy!
 
Oh, those blues and sleepless nights! I hear they both go away in time...

Meanwhile, a snooze on the lawn sounds like a lovely idea :yes:
 
The blues and restlessness sound so familiar. I decided they were signs of being in transition. Feeling better, but not better "enough," and of being ready and eager to do more... but not quite physically "there" to do it. An indefinable being out of sync. It's annoying, but temporary. Going outside is a wonderful idea. Do something a little different or new.

What a great lounger! You have the coolest toys! :roseshwr:
 
@SusieShoes ! As usual, you hit the nail on the head ! Out of sync is exactly how I feel/felt. Sooooo now sitting outside with a little help from the kids, took my knitting just in case the mood strikes me. Definitely more likely to morph into my afternoon nap.
members pic.jpg



Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nancy, I hate nights like that. One that plagues me a lot is the traveling itches night. I had one Friday night and got only about 3 1/2 hours sleep. Talking about a zombie brain! Who knows why we have nights like this. I blame it on menopause, but am not sure that's it.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom