TKR Neesie's Recovery Thread

:console2:@Jockette thanks for the info and the encouragement
 
I was still having some emotional melt downs at 4 and 5 months post op.

No one told me before my surgery that partials could take a year, everything I’d read said a quicker recovery than a total and I expected a 2-3 month recovery. Learning about the year at 4 weeks post op, after finding Bonesmart, was a shock and sent me over the edge for a while. I also expected an easy recovery from the partial. I was so naive. :bawl:
 
My mother has advanced Alzheimer's and no matter now often I remind myself that it's probably not hereditary, I still go there in my mind.
My mother had Alzheimer also, and I know exactly how you are feeling. I am finding that I'm forgetting things, too, but then when I get around other people my age, they are doing the same thing. We just laugh it off and call it 'brain cramps'. It's hard to not wonder about it, though. I believe the after effects of this surgery do last quite a while. The lack of sleep is one way it really affects the brain. If I don't sleep enough I am really slow mentally. I bet that's your problem, too.
 
@Neesie i hear you re brain fog, earlier today I asked my daughter about something I was sure that occurred this spring and she insisted it was over year ago :rotfl: I continue to blame it on brain fog :unsure::unsure: and yes. The Exhaustion. Going to find senior vitamins today. :sad: This journey is tiresome.
 
The brain fog is just awful. I am so tired of being stupid! lol I can't stay focused very long, I can't remember anything, and sometimes I have some aphasia where I can't remember the word I'm looking for. I know it's normal, but that doesn't make me like it any better.

For your knitting, maybe you could start a side project that's super simple? No particular pattern, or something you know really well? I'm just a novice, but the other day I got distracted while knitting and I forgot which stitch I was doing, while it was all still in my hands! It's crazy.
 
Thanks so much for all your responses. I find it so fascinating that confirmation of my experience goes such a long way in comforting me. I know this is also true for many others. Somehow what I think carries more weight if I keep it inside my head rather than sharing it. If I hear it out loud or see it in writing, I'm better able to contradict it when it needs that.

I just started the book "Behave" which was written by Robert Sapolsky, a neuroscientist. He writes about why we do what we do based on neuroscience. It's slow going for me because it's such a complex subject but very enjoyable. His writing is very conversational and sometimes hilarious.
 
I hear you with the brain fog! I like to say I have Perimenopause brain, mom of 3 teens brain & surgery brain...on top of already being a forgetful person! If I don't write things down I just don't remember so I've become an avid note taker. Now if only I could read my own writing...:wink:
Seriously though, my dad has Alzheimer's & I too worry about that at times. I generally give those thoughts to God & let it go but some days its harder than others.
 
If I don't write things down I just don't remember so I've become an avid note taker.
My Smart Phone is way smarter than I am and everything I need lives in it. I have hundreds of "Notes" and "Reminders" and calendar entries. I was very resistant to it at first and now I praise it daily. :heehee:
 
@Neesie
My desk is 10 feet from the copier and about the same from the coffee pot at work.
I got up from the desk with my coffee cup in hand and went to the copier.
I looked confused....my boss pointed “Coffee is that way....”
Pretty sure that it was not TKR fault....I did things like that 20 years ago also....
 
Yep. If I ever lose my phone I’ll be lost! I keep all my important stuff and info in the cloud!
 
I had a tough weekend visiting my mother, mother-in-law and attending 2nd birthday party for my stepson’s daughter. I was down in the dumps to start and 2+ hours each way in the car over 2 days didn’t help. I tried to keep a positive attitude but was wildly unsuccessful. I’m just tired of everything and when the zingers started up again I lost it.

I worked 5 hours today which helped my attitude a little but now I’m utterly exhausted. Icing and elevating and hoping to nap a little <big sigh and eye roll>.
 
Good for you to be resting, icing, elevating, and perhaps even napping! Sounds like a very tough day so it's time to rest and recover some more. :friends::sleep:
 
Been there, done that. :console2:I hope you can regroup and relax now that you’re home.
 
@Carole4815 and @Jockette thanks so much for your kindness. I know it's best to have a positive attitude but I'm just so overwhelmed by everything and it's been 4 months (17 weeks to be exact). I miss my brain and my ability to organize, manage and just plain cope. I'm trying to stop talking about it in real life so this is now my main outlet. Forgive me for the continued whining.
 
@Neesie I'm right behind you! My hubby reminded me it’s been four months! I don’t care, Im still recuperating! And know what you mean. We went on short overnight trip this last weekend to see family and schedule was bit mixed up of course.. isn’t that the way? Couldn’t wait to get home and sleep in my own bed.. overwhelming is good description. And anytime I miss little bit of sleep it’s exhausting. Yes more sleep and good nutrition will help!
 
That's what we are here for. Everyone of us has been where you are and have whined even more than you! It's so frustrating when things have to be done and then our body's rebell. It will get better.
 
@Neesie i trust your evening is relaxing and you can just put your feet up and enjoy favorite tv show or just chill out. Right now my favorite drink is half pomegranate Italian soda and half diet ginger ale. Hubby decided he wants to watch Dr House series. We both have medical background and so enjoy medical mysteries. Thinking of all of you in pain or misery or just plain exhausted tonight. Blessings and good thoughts to everyone. I know it gets better.
 
Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone.
@knee#2 you're a week ahead of me and we're very close in age. It's such a relief to know you're still recuperating too. And my appetite is returning but so is my sweet tooth. My nutrition leaves something to be desired right now. I will try harder to eat better. I would like to keep off the 15 lbs. I've lost.
@sistersinhim I so appreciate you saying others have complained too. I feel like such a whiner!
I'm going to the chiropractor tomorrow and then spend the rest of the day quietly - reading, knitting. Hopefully that will help.
 
@Neesie , you are NOT a whiner!!! You have had a lot to cope with and you are simply amazing. Sure, you needed to vent! We all do sometimes and this is the right place for it because we truly, TRULY understand how you feel. Trust me, we do. :)
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom