BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Neesie's Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Neesie, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    @Neesie , there's no need to apologise for "whining" or venting. We know how you feel, because we've all been there and done it ourselves. We're here when you need a virtual shoulder to cry on, or a virtual hug. :friends:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. luvcats

luvcats graduate

United States United States
    OMG. 4 months and you're still having setbacks. Excuse me while I pull up a blankie and sit and cry with you. I'm already bored with all this. I expect in another 2 months there will be some genuine toddler worthy meltdowns. I think you're handling everything as gracefully as you can.

Dont feel bad. I'm pretty sure we all get turns here. Its definitely your turn.

Are you knitting? Knitting will help. I've been assured that knitting makes everything better. If I could keep a count and knit while laying on my back, I'd be knitting now too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  3. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I had a major set back at 4 months that took me a month to begin to improve from. :yikes: I wish I could go back in time and stay home that weekend!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. Neesie

Neesie junior member

Thanks @luvcats. I am knitting hats/cardigans and blankets for donations to local hospitals. In another week I start the 100+ holiday ornaments I make for residents and staff of my mother’s assisted living facility. They do all serve as a distraction but I still find plenty of time to feel sorry for myself. I’d be delighted to pass my turn along to someone else.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. Didot

Didot member

Australia Australia
    I’m with you Nessie. You are not alone. I have episodes of crying deeply into my pillows until I’m exhausted. It seems to help. It’s such a journey. Months ahead still to assure us it’s worth it.... and this is the frustration, I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. luvcats

luvcats graduate

Im sorry you're stuck in the sad. It's a hard thing and one of my least favorite parts of recovery. I spend a lot of time on social media when that happens, reaching out to my support group.

My grandmother learned to knit when she heard about a group that knits sweaters for children in Appalachia. She learned to love it.

I had to frog out all the knitting I did in the 2 days before this surgery. I'm not holding myself to a terribly high standard for that first project but the two rows where somehow I switched from all knit to all purl about 2/3 into the row, that was just the last straw. I'm thinking this weekend I'll spend some time down stairs in my recliner and I'll be able to pick up my needles again. It's so addictive.

What sort of ornaments will you be making?

7. Neesie

Neesie junior member

@luvcats I am the queen of frogging. The woman who re-taught me to knit was a master knitter BUT she also believed that there had to be 1 mistake in each and every thing. No one is perfect. She also taught me about knit worthy (those who just don't appreciate what is involved so you don't knit for them).

I knit mostly little 5 and 6 pointed stars, bells. The residents hang them on their walkers and doors. Here's a photo of some of them:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Neesie

Neesie junior member

Hmmm, looks like the photo didn't copy properly. And I do Christmas trees and balls too.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Neesie

Neesie junior member

Ravelry.com has lots of different ornaments to choose from. They're quick and if you use brightly colored yarn, they're very happy. Here's another one from Ravelry.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

They are precious! You are very talented and giving by sharing your talent to those that need something to brighten their days.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Neesie

Neesie junior member

Quick question to those who are farther along than I am. How long do you ice? I worked for 4 hours today and felt stiff and achy. I iced for 30 minutes. My OCD nature is screaming in my head because I don't know if that's "right".

12. KarriB

KarriB FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I iced until my knee felt better and less swollen, sometimes an hour sometimes longer. As long as there’s something between your skin and the ice you can keep it on as long as you like.

• Like Like x 1
  13. luvcats

luvcats graduate

Those ornaments are just adorable!!! I'll keep them in mind for the future.
    I'm not a perfectionist by nature, but I do like to think I have a certain standard. Lol One problem here or there that the average person wont even find does not bother me. Changing the stitch in the middle of a consistent block? That I couldn't live with. Lol

I ice until the cold bothers me or until my ice pack isnt cold. Or, later in the healing, when I needed to get up and do something else.

14. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I elevated and iced the whole time I was sitting or laying down. I did this for the first couple of months. This kept my swelling and pain way down.

15. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    You can ice for as long as you want to, but anything less than about 45 minutes wont accomplish much. I used to ice every time I sat down or went to bed. I iced all night long,changing teh ice packs when I woke during the night.

Have a look at this article:
    Ice to control pain and swelling

The article begins with this information:
    Conflicting advice is often given to patients regarding the use of ice. Some doctors, nurses and therapists advise using it or 15-20 minutes 3 or 4 times a day. This is only appropriate when healing from an injury. Following joint replacement surgery, ice is a critical part of your pain management program and should be used on your joint and any other areas around it that are painful as much as you like. Just be sure to never place the ice source directly on your skin. This can cause severe burns as well as potentially reduce the flow of the blood and lymph circulation.

When using an ice pack, put a cloth between the ice source and your skin. A tea towel, kitchen towel or hand towel is perfect. Even if you are using an ice machine, you should have at least a thin cloth or your dressing between the cold surface and your skin.

• Informative Informative x 1