TKR Neesie's Recovery Thread

@marieltha I've had 3 surgeries and 4 hospitals stays in 10 months, beginning the week after my last birthday. I've been joking that my warranty expired. Then I gave my dad a stern what-for about getting me a cheap warranty on parts. lol Have you checked your warranty?

@Neesie I'm sorry you've had such a tough recovery. I think it's been easier on me to embrace the 2nd replacement because I knew going in the knees were both trashed and I'd need both replaced to get any quality of life back. I'm too fat to have an active life with one leg. So the day I scheduled the first surgery, I talked to the surgeon about how quickly most people can do most of their daily tasks. We picked 8 weeks and the second was scheduled that same day. Unless something went horribly wrong, that was always my plan, so it didn't take any extra to 'make myself' do it.

And however hard it is go go backwards, now all the structural repairs are done, and nothing can interfere, which was my personal big irrational worry. It's all just healing and improving now.
 
@luvcats Thanks for sharing your story. Your surgeon must be excellent, both in his medical ability and his humanity. When you're up and about, feel free to PM me and you can come for a visit and we'll stroll on the beach together.
 
You know, my first appointment, I kind of thought he was a jerk, to be honest, because he seemed a lot more concerned about my weight than my knees. After my second appointment, Beloved gave me some alternate perspective that he was just covering all the bases and giving me all my options. The fact that he accepted me as a patient, twice, at a high risk weight means a lot to me. Where I really saw his compassion was when I went in for an emergency appointment after the homecare nurse freaked me out about the state of my incision. He went for a 'definitely better to be safe than sorry' approach and was calm and gentle through the whole thing. I felt he was less rushed than any other time I'd ever seen him! Even though he didn't really need to be bothered with it, and I know I wasn't at my most rational. So, yeah, a good guy.
 
The first surgeon (the NASA/Air Force, now Mayo Clinic superstar) I went to that I liked and trusted touched my knee in a way that the previous doctors had not. He instantly inspired confidence. He did my first, the meniscus tear. My present OS has that same, confidence inspiring touch. I have come to trust that more than how they speak.
 
It’s almost 5 months since my TKR. For the last couple of weeks I haven’t iced at all and only rarely elevated. I’m not sure it made much difference although my knee is still swollen. Walking down stairs is still painful but manageable. I think I’ve adjusted to living with pain.

I’m still an emotional basket case. Lately I’ve started believing I am in early-stage dementia. I forget people’s names, recently didn’t recognize friends for a minute, have trouble making decisions which is totally unlike me. I’m 69 and my mother is in late Stage Alzheimer’s.

I want to do genetic testing for the markers but I’m concerned that the remaining effects of the anesthesia and opioids will interfere with that. Does anyone know?
 
Lately I’ve started believing I am in early-stage dementia
I teach 55-80 year olds in Sunday School. All of us have what we call 'brain cramps' where we forget lots of things. A word we've used all our lives won't come. Someone we've known for years has a name that escapes us. I'm 68 and have taught SS off and on for years, but at times can't remember Bible verses. I'm saying all this to try and give you comfort, that what you are going through is normal, especially after this major surgery.

My mother also had Alzheimer and when I asked about my forgetfulness, her doctor said that normally if you think you might have Alzheimer then you don't, that's it's something your mind wouldn't think of. I don't know if this is true, but it gave me comfort.
 
@Neesie
“Emotional basket case” thinking usually ends, for me, with the conclusion of the worst possible outcome.

Ask your doc about the testing-let that be your guide.
 
That must be terribly frightening and stressful. Definitely ask your doctor about lingering effects from surgery. There is every chance that you're having a lingering atypical reaction or something. Try not to panic until you talk to someone. Which is so very much easier said than done.
 
Hi, Neesie. Reading @Macknit and @luvcats knitting through their recoveries made me think of you and your beautiful ornaments. How is your knee at 6 months?
 
@marieltha thanks for thinking of me. The pain is at a manageable level but not gone.The swelling is less than it was but not gone either. Some days are worse than others but nowhere near what it was. I'm not back to full mobility and have to be conscious of not overdoing it or I pay for it. In all honesty, I'm still battling depression. The ironic thing is that my left knee (which was considered worse but the right was more painful) isn't bothering me much. Hope all is well with you!
 
Hi everyone - my apologies for not posting much anymore. I'm feeling very negative about the whole experience and don't want to express that negativity here. I think of all of you often and follow many of your stories and progress.
 
Very good to hear from you.

On x-rays both knees have always shown arthritis. The right one always hurt. Very rare for the left.

Don’t despair. You aren’t alone. Lots of recent posts here about those feelings. You are making steady progress.
 
I was also wondering how you were doing! My knee is much better as well but still feeling internal swelling, but we’re halfway there! As far as depression goes I think this year has been filled with so many major life changing events for most or some of us that our daily chores /chronic pain/lifestyle changes have become our new “norm “, I’ve especially noticed it. Thankfully we can share here. So good to hear from you!
 
I feel the same. My shoulder repair is about the age of your knee. Great progress, but a long recovery. I am getting out the reindeer one at a time. LOL.
 
I'm so glad you stopped by.
I'm sorry you are still having so many issues. I can definitely tell my July knee isn't all the way healed.

Here's hoping that some of your depression is caused by the time of year and the darkness and that come spring we'll all be ready to go dancing!
 
I'm sorry you're feeling down, @Neesie ,
[Bonesmart.org] Neesie's Recovery Thread
, but don't feel that you can't post about it here. We're here to support you through both the good and the bad.

It's a long road through recovery, and everyone at times feels as though it's never going to end. It will, though, and you'll end up with a knee that lets you do far more than you could do before your surgery.
 
Thanks for the encouragement my friends. I so wish we could all get together IRL. Wishing everyone a delicious and pain-free Thanksgiving.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom