TKR Nanners adventure to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
They sent me home with Dilaudid 4 mg every 3 hours. I am just about weaned off of that, and think it was the culprit of my gut problems. At night I do have to use the 2 Percoset too. Thanks for the support!
 
kneeper I do remove the ice when it feels like that. I have to actually. Do you know if its the new knee that gets so cold and makes it hurt? You know the metal etc.?
 
Nope, the metal in your knee has nothing to do with how cold your knee feels with the ice. If it hurts--put a little more padding between the cold and your knee---just keep it cool if that is more comfortable.
 
Still suffering with my darn guts. Tired of feeling so pukey every morning. I think its becuz in the evening is when pain is worse and I take the most pain meds for the day. It helps me to sleep thru the night but the morning and am sick again. I sure hope this ends soon. I am feeling miserable. 3 weeks since my TKR. Waaahhhh!!!
 
I'm so sorry, too, Gail. We're all cheering and praying for you. I know you hate the thought of more meds, but do you have anything you can take for nausea? I know for me, that's the worst feeling there is.
Prayers and hugs....Liz
 
I totally sympathize with you, Gail. Having suffered from chronic constipation this week and feeling like I have morning sickness all day. I've hardly eaten this week.

I do hope you get your meds sorted soon and you start to feel better and you will :flwrysmile:
 
Oh honey, i am so sorry that you are feeling badly. I was sick to my stomach, too. I thought it was from the surgery, and then once I was on the antibiotics for the UTI, the nausea stopped. Could have been a coincidence, not sure. I feel so bad for you because I have been there. I vented and was told it would get better, it did, but hearing that doesn't help you feel better at the time, I know, sweetie pie! Feel better. I care. Hugs!
 
What about getting on an even schedule with meds ..every so many hours so you are not loading yourself up at night.
Have you called the dr for something for the nausea.
You are also weaning from the Dilaudid. Side effects??
Oh how I feel for you
 
Nanners,
I'm so sorry that you are having such a bad time. I hope that your tummy troubles settle down soon. I know that it's hard to eat with your issues, but percocet makes me sick if I take it on an empty stomach. I took some once before going on a motorcycle ride with my hubby, we were going to ride for about 30 miles and have lunch. It was a very hot day, I started feeling queasy so we stopped to get a cold drink and to cool off. I felt better after cooling off and we headed home, next thing I knew I was throwing up on the car behind us!:sick: He was following too close anyway!
I have had pain too when icing my knee before and I agree with bottomshollow, put something between you and the ice and if it hurts move it around or take it off for a bit. Silly question, how do you stay warm with all the icing? It's going to be cooler weather when I have my surgery and I've been wondering about being cold while I'm icing my knee. I'm thinking maybe an electric blanket on the rest of me while I'm icing. LOL! I will keep you in my prayers. Keep us updated.
 
Thank you all for your kind words! I have completely weaned off the Dilaudid. I took Percoset before the surgery, but never took more than 1/2 tab or 1 full tab at bedtime. I have nausea meds, and they just help me not to throw up. Have not had one bit on constipation, but have suffered with horrible explosive diarrhea (sorry tmi). Yesterday, finally had to take Immodium cuz I was running to the loo so much. I live in Southern Calif, and right now we are having a bit of a heatwave, and humid, so the cold helps to cool me down. I am using towels with the ice, but the knee still gets too cold. I just wish I could eat more and feel better. I don't even have the energy to go to the doc or call the doc. I just feel too miserable. And if they just ordered more meds, how would I pick them up. Just too ill. God willing things will improve soon. Thanks again for your kind words of support. Hugs! P.S. Right now I am not happy I had this done...I would rather of had that arthritis pain. Feeling sad!
 
Oh and one other thing....being so sick, I cannot do any PT. Only just walking around....how much am I hurting myself???
 
Nanners, I am so sorry you feel so bad. You really need a nurse and a hug right now! :friends: I am sure a time will come when you won't be sorry that you had it done. If you can get your tummy better, I am sure things will start looking up!
 
Is home health visiting you? Have you spoken to your PCP? The first 3 weeks are tough, but you are having a tougher time than most. As for regretting the surgery? Read back in my recovery thread, so did I. I was just being honest.I wanted to be a replacement cheerleader, but I was having rough time, my knee was swollen, ached, I was sick as a dog, was in a sad funk and just plain old didn't feel well. I think most of my feeling rotten was from the UTI that I didn't know that i had (until I stated to bleed). The good news is that All of that is behind me, and it is a vague memory.I'm still swollen and tight, still must ice and elevate, but I feel good and WILL have my left knee replaced. I feel so bad for you. Know how much we care. Feel better, my friend. I'm here for you!
 
One thing that I remember my os telling me when I had my first knee done in 1995 was that around week 3 I was going to wonder what in the world I had done, and why did I do it. He said around week 6 I would start being glad that I did it. He was right. I do remember feeling that way.
 
So sorry to hear you are still feeling poorly, Gail. I know it is so hard when you are sick on top of everything else. Hang in there my friend :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you all! Still feeling rough! Just been sleeping on and off thru out the day. Pain is still bad especially at night. I have to take the full doses of my pain meds. And then of course the next day my gut is sick again. I have not called a doc, as I am too weak to go in to see anyone. Plus quite honestly, I have most of the meds they would give me anyways. Just hoping that I start feeling better soon. Just keep praying is all I ask. Hugs~!
 
Honey, you are only at 3½ weeks. You are bound to feel rough at this stage. But exactly what meds are you on right now? All you've mentioned is what you are off! Tell me what you are taking, how much and how often?

As for not being able to do any PT, that doesn't matter at all. I did almost none for most of my recovery and it turned out just fine. As long as you are still walking about and able to do a few heel slides here and there, and perhaps a few extension exercises as in here Extension: exercises. Nothing to demanding, you understand!

You might also get some encouragement from reading my potted (as in very short) account of my own, no exercises, recovery Knee recovery - UK style.
 
Oh, Nanners, I'm so sorry you are feeling so bad. It's not easy when the meds that are supposed to help you feel a bit better, make you feel worse. :sigh:
I hope you feel better soon. :friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom