TKR Nanners adventure to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Gail happy belated birthday!
I have been out of pocket a bit myself and just caught up with you, so sorry to hear of your stomach issues and I couldn't agree more that the pain pills were probably at fault, my problem was with vicodin, it made me very depressed and didn't really do much for pain, constipated me to the point that I got stomach cramps and then when I used Miralax I couldn't get away from the bathroom! I was crying at the drop of a hat and feeling like I would never return to the life I enjoyed, I changed my diet and more fresh fruits and veggies, very little cheeses and things known to constipate you in hopes that it would help... I got the doc to switch me to percoset for the pain and I only take 1 every 4 hours during the day and 2 at bedtime... seems to helping.. my biggest complaint now is lower back pain, mostly caused I think from not being able to exercise and move enough, although my PT is going pretty good for me, at 5 weeks I am getting around walking with no assistance and no limp.
The hardest part for you is that you are not just recovering from this knee replacement you also have other medical issues that are flaring up and causing you problems so that slows you down.. don't be so hard on yourself I am still feeling pain at 5 weeks today and I leave it up to my knees to tell me how far to push myself for the most part, but I am stubborn as well and sometimes overdo it and I pay for it!

Glad the stomach seems to be calming down for you, wish you the best and will be here for support! :flwrysmile:
 
Happy birthday to you, Gail!! Yes, I'd agree that you are a very strong lady. You've had more than your share of obstacles. And I like the idea of taking care of one obstacle at a time. Hopefully your tummy is now over the worst, fibro will be next to improve. You are still taking pain meds, aren't you? I've forgotten what you're on. I hope you didn't stop everything.

Please continue to keep us posted....we care very much!
 
Belated birthday greetings, Gail. Bet that's the first time you forgot your birthday :heehee: Do hope you're continuing to improve my dear friend :flwrysmile:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Nanners adventure to the other side
Nanners---October is an outstanding month for a birthday (my hubby's was the 3rd). Wishing you the great recovery you deserve and are working so hard for.
[Bonesmart.org] Nanners adventure to the other side
 
Thanks again for the bday wishes. Up most of the night with lots of diarrhea. Dang it! I cant get past this ****. Still eating light diet, but still having good and bad times. I just want more good than bad! I am going to have to go to the doc I think. How to get there is the big issues. Ugh!
 
I am posting this outside my thread, becuz I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Do you guys feel like you have alot of muscle pain in your legs? I not talking about your knee hurting after surgery, but your legs just aching like you walked alot or something.

Ever since the early days after my LTKR, my calves on surgical leg and non surgical leg, just ache. It feels like a muscle spasm. My thighs hurt too.

I do have fibromyalgia, but this is different and pretty contained to my legs. Just wondered if anyone else had this, and found something to help ease it up some. A lovely hot bath and soak sounds wonderful, but unfortunately we only have showers in our house. Thanks!
 
Most definitely happened to me too. In time it went away. Be sure to medicate adequately. The pain med is not just for the bones that got cut and fitted with metal, they're for the soft tissue pain as well.
 
Yes, I had muscle pain for quite awhile after surgery. You are a little over a month from surgery and this will take time. The soft tissue takes time to heal well. I had pain well into 9 months post op. I had an infection after surgery that may have contributed. It just takes time and lots of patience. Good luck.
 
Yes. I'm at the end of week six and my calves ache sometimes and my thighs ache most of the time. I thought it was odd since it's not like I'm pressing 300 pounds at the gym!
 
Feeling so so today. Did have some more diarrhea this morning, but so far not as bad as yesterday. But if it gets bad again I will use the Immodium again. Can you believe someone is 5 weeks out from a TKR and has yet to suffer with any constipation. Been all diarrhea! Thats just crazy to me.

Going to try to shower later, and try to do a short walk outside. We have a little walkway thats going to be my path for now. Its a fair distance there and back, so will be a good starting point.

Tried calling my GP yesterday to only find out he is out till 10-11-12. Bummer, I was hoping to at least have a phone conversation with him about how bad I have been feeling. Can't win for losing!
 
Just over 6 weeks post op, and I still have swelling in the knee itself, but I also still have pain and bruising around my thigh, and oddly enough around my calf. The walker is long gone, the cane only sees occasional use, but unlike Kathy above, every step I DO press over 300 lbs. Pain seems to diminish as the bruising and swelling goes away. Ice and elevate as required.....
 
I guess "so-so" beats "bad", but not by much, huh? Wish I had a magic wand to wave and make you all better; but, alas, I have no extraordinary powers at all. Hope things do get better for you soon. And your GP should have been there just waiting for you call :heehee:.
 
Happy belated birthday and anniversary wishes from "hippie land" nanners...

So sorry you are suffering with diarrhea... Not fun, I am a Coeliac, so totally understand xx
 
Happy Birthday Nanners. Take it from someone that had a hard time with PT at least the bending of the knee, if you are sitting around, start massaging your leg as far down as you can reach and keep working up to your thigh. I bought a hand held massage thing and it has two round heads on it that heat up and vibrate and I just dig that into the back of my leg and let it work the muscles. It is working.
 
Thank you all! Its nice to know its not just me. I have thought since I had the surgery that muscle relaxers should be part of the pain management. But a doctor at the rehab said something about them not being that effective for this. Hmmmm...
 
Hey Debbie!! I have been massaging the leg alot as well as hubby rubs it for me too. How is it working for you? Not sure I understand.

Think the blues are starting to join the party. I feel so weepy today. I feel so overwhelmed by this whole process. I feel like I am starting to get PTSD from this whole experience. I feel like I am just going to have more and more problems with my leg becuz my guts don't let me do anything. I have my OS followop on the 12th and I am so scared he is going to be so mad at me. I think I will be one who will wind up needing a MUA, then the pain meds will make me sick again, etc. Its all so overwhelming at times. I know its all normal to feel like this, but I just need a break. I would love to have one good day, just one. At least it would give me some hope. At this point, not happy I did this. Which I know too is normal. Sorry for being a whiney pants. Hugs!
 
Nanners all I know is my new PT lady is really massaging my leg, telling me exactly where my muscles are really tight and I hold that hand held massage wand on those muscles and it is really helping relax it. I was stuck at 100 and that was with some help, and today I got to 105. I mean I had to work it, but the therapist didn't push it. When I am sitting around with my leg up on the pillows and I get this pulling aching in the back of my knee I use a product similar to this one.. broken link removed: https://www.homedics.com/massage/handheld-massagers/extendable-percussion-massager-with-heat-534.html Mine doesn't expand like this one, but couldn't find it. I think I bought it at WalMart. Love that it heats up too. Totally relaxes my leg muscles.
 
I had severe pain in the muscle where it inserts into the knee for about a year whenver I really exerted myself or sat too long. I also still sometimes get pain in the quad that is definitely different than any other muscle pain I have had. I believe part of the pain in quad could be from the tourniquet during surgery. It does get better over time, but your leg went through a lot of trauma...so muscle soreness is expected. (I too have fibromyalgia..so I know what you are talking about).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom