Guest viewing is limited

TKR Nana Moon's Shiny New Second Knee

Nanamoon, I had this awful burning at night for a long time. Like you just at night at rest. Since I couldn't take any of the suggested treatment, my Neurologist suggested a well known osteopath who manipulated me in some way, and got rid of it. I suppose it was something pinching in my spine. We do so much twisting and stretching after a TKR, it would be easy to slightly twist your spine while trying to take the pressure off your legs. As you have a long time to wait,it would be worth looking into. Do you have anyone who could recommend an osteopath to give it a try?
 
Hi @Majic

I'm going to seriously consider this. I don't like the effect of the Lyrica on me. I'm on no other heavy or Opioid medication. However once I've been to the pain clinic I'm going to seriously see about getting an appointment with an osteopath. My stance isn't great. Thanks ever so much for the suggestion

Love Nana moon 27 xx
 
Hello Nana, I hope you get some relief for the pain. You just dread nights. Thinking of you
 
Pain clinic appointment tomorrow. I'm praying and hoping and fingers crossed they will sort this out. Thanks @kate23 yes the nights are a total menace. Yet come about five o clock I suddenly get a good few hours sleep. Probably exhaustion :bored::heehee: xxx

Hope everyone is ok. Had a lot of stuff going on but feeling much better.

This is totally weird but I found out I'm to be a Great Grandma in October....:thud::heehee: I'm 56 years old in June!!! My mom will be 77 this month. If her health lasts ok she will be a Great Great Grandma...:wowspring:

My right knee functions like a normal knee and after the recovery from Nightmaresville :whistle:I can honestly say that now I'm glad I had it done. It took over two years to get to this point but hey ho that just fine.

All my love to every one. Hope you are all ok? Please take care xxx
 
Good to hear from you, happy your right knee is doing well. Let us know how the pain clinic goes, hope they can help with that night time pain.
Congratulations on soon becoming a Great Grandmother!!
 
Hi Nana moon 27, Sure hope they can get to the root of that problem. Not sleeping at night can be so exhausting after awhile. Naps help, hope you're able to do that. How exciting about becoming a great-grandma! Congratulations . Glad to hear that your right knee is now doing well, that's so encouraging. Good luck St the pain clinic, hope they are able to help.
 
Hello

The pain clinic was brilliant. The consultant and the physiotherapist which I had to see individually, were great. The physio tested my leg strength and was very pleased with both. Although she did say the left was weaker than the left but nevertheless they were pretty good. That's the first time I've not had a physio tell me I have weak quads...hallelujah!!! I must be doing something right.

The consultant said he was pleased that my GP had tried different things with me as it saved a lot of time. It was stuff he would have had to try me on anyway. He was happy that I'd been put on Lyrica. I was there for quite some considerable time but I was listened to and properly. None of this rush you in and out stuff that is so prevalent in many of our NHS hospitals. Good news is I don't have CRPS but I definitely do have nerve damage. Apparently this boiling oil/freezing cold sensations I get in my leg and foot are part of this.

Anyway, he asked me how hard I was prepared to try to get a better outcome. I said I would try anything. He has prescribed me Capsacain cream. I get it Friday evening. Apparently you put the tiniest amount on the leg and it apparently feels like youve scalded yourself. He said that most patients only use it once or twice and they give up. Well I'm going to try my absolute best. He said the results from that particular treatment were very effective when done completely. He said he would understand if I decided to discontinue it because it was unbearable. This stops me from having any more tablets than I'm already on. Hopefully I can do this. I'm being so positive.

I'm on Lyrica 100mg twice a day now. That's been upped from 75 mg twice a day. I also take Paracetamol up to 8 a day if it's really bad. I'm on no other pain medication which for me is wonderful.

If any one knows about Capsacain, have used it or know of it, I would be ever so glad to hear your honest experiences and opinions regarding it. It's nice to know how others have got on with this.

The Lyrica has a bad effect on me, making me forgetful and a bit of a liability. He said this will pass in due time. Last night I actually had some really good sleep. Think it was a mixture of relief knowing I wasn't imagining the pain/sensation, being listened to properly, the realisation I was finally to get the correct treatment for this and that there is some hope but no guarantee. If this doesn't work or I can't stand it then it's back to the drawing board but he's confident he can help me.

Thank you for your messages of support, you are all so very kind.

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
That is good news you don't have CRPS. It does make you happier to have a doctor that actually listens to you and can come up with a plan to help you. I'm sure that was the reason you were able to sleep.
 
So glad you found someone who listened to you. Hope the Capsaicin cream works for you. I'm sure you'll give it a good try. Sounds like your leg strength has improved, that's such good news. Hope things keep going in the right direction for you.
 
Good news is I don't have CRPS but I definitely do have nerve damage.
I'm delighted to hear that you don't have CRPS. :yes!::happydance::yay::dancy:

The pan clinic sounds like a good place and I'm glad they listened to you and didn't rush you. i hope the Capsicain helps. I have no experience with it so I can't offer any advice, but i'd say it's well worth a try.
 
@Nana moon 27 ,
Be very careful with the capsaicin cream, wash it off your hands immediately, and don't get it anywhere near your eyes, also don't use a couple of hours either side of having a hot bath. I was using it for a while for osteoarthritis, and was daft enough to use a portable ultrasound therapy device on my knee one time, shortly after using the cream. Within a short time my knee was on fire :yikes: bright red and unbearably painful. Bad mistake, but hey you live and learn. This is certainly not to put you off, just be cautious. I hope it gives you relief.
Love,Tabbycat :kittykiss:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Great to hear this doc listens to you and seems to have some ideas. And Yay on the sleep!
 
Hi thanks for the responses. @Tabbycat love your pic and thanks for the advice, I do seriously appreciate it and will take heed!!! Thank you for taking the time to inform me.

Yes, I was mightily relieved to say the least with my diagnosis but oh I feel for anyone with CRPS. Nerve damage is feeling bad enough but the extreme pain some people have with CRPS it must be dreadful.

Once again thanks for the lovely support its so lovely to hear from you all. Hope you are all okay!
 
Yes I'm doing well now after my revision. I've definitely found the right OS for me. I hope your nerve pain starts to fade away with the treatment.
 
Nanamoon, the capsaicin cream is made from hot peppers which is why you want to be sure and carefully wash your hands after applying it. It can brutally burn your eyes should you get even a trace there by accidentally wiping your eye with your fingers.

Here is a link to tell you a little about the treatments using capsaicin cream:

https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/tc/capsaicin-topic-overview
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom