THR Mythmom's recovery

@Mythmomma this is what one of our members suggested you say to your PT therapist, I personally think it's brilliant:
  • I expect discomfort. I DO NOT expect actual significant pain.
  • The definition of what is painful is owned by me, not you.
  • When I say stop, we're crossing the line into pain. I expect you to immediately stop.
  • Trying to force me past the pain point or not listening to me will completely break my trust in you.
  • I want us to be partners in this. I'm willing to try almost anything, as long as I can continue to trust you.
  • If I trust you, I will go right up to the line between discomfort and pain. If I do not trust you, I will likely start tensing up as soon as any discomfort starts. At that point I may as well get a new therapist.
 
OMG you're all so polite! I wouldn't hesitate to tell that PT to get lost. Look up the research into efficacy of PT and quote that back to them.
I'm in UK and found telling the PTs to check the NICE guidance which found no evidence for efficacy of PT post TKR. Obviously, the hospital I had my THR in had heeded this and there's no post op PT offered at all. Somehow I'm managing!!
 
I had the same thing happen this week and I am 4 weeks out. I had to go home after PT squats, clams etc. and take a narcotic. Still a little sore. I am not going back, just going to walk and do mild stretches.
Sorry yours did not go well either.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Hopefully you continue to enjoy steady progress.
Have a safe and healthy Autumn season!
@Mythmomma
 
I am doing better. I quit the hospital physiotherapy with my surgeon’s blessing. I still use one cane for walks but am doing better without inside. I still have a bit of a limp but it is improving. I am doing 20 minutes on the elliptical which feels great. What is holding me back is my other hip. That last physiotherapy appointment really made it worse. I will be getting my next hip done in early December. I will post when I have a firm date. Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians.
 
Good to hear you received a nod from your surgeon that it was okay to quit Physio.
Sorry your non-op hip is holding you back. You know we’ll be here for you when the time comes for your next THR.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and a belated Happy Two Month Anniversary also.
I hope you have a great day! :SUNsmile:
@Mythmomma
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re doing well and successfully losing the limp. With any luck your non-op hip pain is manageable enough that you’re not miserable and able to go about your daily activity.
A great week to you!
@Mythmomma
 
Hi everyone. My leg is getting stronger every day. My date for my other hip is December 8th. It is coming very quickly. It has been a crazy month. We sold our very large house and have bought a bungalow (we are empty nesters). We move in March. I was recently diagnosed with a more pervasive form of osteoarthritis. I have advanced/severe in both feet, hands and neck. Moderate in both shoulders. Apparently in my case it is genetic. I must admit this took the wind out of my sails. I guess I will focus on my next surgery and see where it goes from there.
 
It’s a big adjustment when arthritis is in all joints. Same story for a lot of us. I have learned how to movement needs to change and better ways sleep not lift over 4 pounds many techniques to manage joints to preserve what we have and care for them… it’s learning to think ahead before doing anything. Lifting pushing pulling has been a No no…… practice “Mindfulness“. It’s a good way to manage and find better ways to adjust and cope. Join a group support system .
 
Two more days! Getting everything ready for my left hip replacement. I am grateful that I am the first surgery on Wednesday morning. Definitely feeling nervous but optimistic. Thank you everyone for all the info and support.
 
Best Wishes tomorrow! We’ll be thinking of you and watching for an update once you’re back at home resting comfortably. I see it will be four months since, Righty, was replaced on Thursday. An early Happy Anniversary! May this recovery be better than the last. :)
@Mythmomma
 
Hi all! Nearly two weeks post op! I came through with flying colours. It is definitely a different experience this time. I did not have "log leg" which is making mobility so much better this time. I have my post op and staple removal tomorrow.
 
:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon: Hey there @Mythmomma
What wonderful news! I’m glad you’re finding this recovery easier than the first. You'll feel even better tomorrow with the staples out. I wish you a happy Christmas and perfect healing in the New Year. Thanks for updating us.
:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
Two Anniversaries this weekend!
Happy Five Months, Righty and One Month, Lefty.
How are you doing? Please share an update when you have the time.
Wishing you many blessings in the new year!
@Mythmomma
 
I have been doing well. My left has been so much easier than my right. I will not be doing the hospital physio this time. My regular physiotherapist is awesome and I will stick with him. Definitely the weather presents a challenge. With the ice, cold and Covid I am using the treadmill this time. The weather and stress have caused a bit of a flare in my other joints but I am managing ok.
 
:hi: HI again @Mythmomma
It’s great that you’re doing well. What a treat when a second recovery is easier than the first. Too bad everyone isn’t as lucky. I’m sorry other joints are causing you pain. Hopefully it eases quickly. Wishing you comfort in the meantime.
Be safe and stay well!
 
Hey there :wave:
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a great week as you continue healing.
@Mythmomma
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom