THR Mythmom's recovery

Got my staples removed today. Everything looks good. Working on gentle stretches and walking. My awesome physiotherapist says my job is to manage my pain and heal. No rushing. I am definitely getting more mobile which is encouraging.
 
I did my first big walks yesterday and today. We live in the country and our driveway is 150 metres (500 ft) long. I made it to the end and back. I also have a long walkway with two sets of steps to get back inside. Getting there.
 
I had my first physiotherapy appointment at the hospital (not my physio). It was a very frustrating appointment. First off it is a loooong walk to get there. I did the assessment with timed exercises. He was running behind and generally not happy. I was told my slight limp was off, my gait wasn’t what he wanted, my muscles were weak and my range was terrible. He was also upset I was doing the stairs one at a time. He added a bunch of exercises and told me I best get to it before our next appointment in two weeks. I honestly thought I was doing pretty good. I do limp when tired and I am still stiff. There is also some length difference now which they said will be better when my second hip is done. Because my joint was basically frozen my muscles shortened. My Physiotherapist has been helping me gently stretch things to avoid tendinitis. I must admit it took the wind out of my sails.
 
I‘m sorry you had that experience. The physiotherapist doesn’t sound like the compassionate encouraging type. Hopefully he is normally more congenial. I can imagine how discouraged you must have felt, but chin up, it will get better.

Many have a limp at not even one month post op. We advise using an assistive device and heel-toe walking until you’re no longer limping. Following is an explanation and diagram in case it’s unfamiliar. Heel-toe walking involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

1630632954416.jpeg

Your muscles are weak because your leg experienced a “controlled” trauma a mere 24 days ago! It does take time to stop navigating stairs toddler style. I’m going to leave the Activity Progression for THR so you can see how you‘re progressing compared to the suggested activity level at four weeks post op. Keep in mind, some excel, some lag behind. It’s a rough gauge.

Continue doing the exercises that you‘re able to do without pain and also walking for exercise. Walking is the best therapy, but not to excess.
Hang in there, you’re doing fine. :) I hope you have a nice weekend!
@Mythmomma
 
Could I have the activity progression for hip replacement.
 
oops...:blush:
Sorry....just noticed we inadvertantly left you knee recovery guidelines.
Hope you won't need those.:wink:

Here are our recovery guidelines including the activity progression article.
I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort​
rest​
ice​
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these​

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this ​

6. Access to these pages on the website​
​
​


BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
My apologies. I’m so sorry. I grabbed the article from the Recovery Guidelines left in your thread and just realized you were accidentally left the Knee Recovery Guidelines.
I guess we’re actors in A Comedy Of Errors, lol. Just typing this out and Mojo beat me to the punch. Now you have the correct info. :)

Sorry again, I hope you have a nice weekend!
 
For quick reference, you’ll find The Activity Progression for THR under Number 5.
 
Sounds like the hospital physio went to the no pain no gain school. I'd use my best judgement and don't be afraid to speak up if you don't feel comfortable doing the things they want you to do.
 
I agree. You don't actually have to go back there. I know it's hard though when someone is so discouraging. As @Eman85 says don't be afraid to speak up. Say no if you don't want to do a particular excercise. You've already been brave going through all this. Be braver? (If possible!) Good luck.
 
I have a comfort kitty we got two years ago. My leg is still heavy. I have been making two trips up and down the stairs for the last two days. Still sore and swollen. I think I'm getting around better but progress feels slow. Hubby say's I'm doing great. It helps to have a cheerleader. Some of the exercises are still hard to do. My physio suggested having help during to make sure my leg moves in a straight line. I'm not used to being on the receiving end of care so am finding it difficult.
Gorgeous tabby.
 
I had my first physiotherapy appointment at the hospital (not my physio). It was a very frustrating appointment. First off it is a loooong walk to get there. I did the assessment with timed exercises. He was running behind and generally not happy. I was told my slight limp was off, my gait wasn’t what he wanted, my muscles were weak and my range was terrible. He was also upset I was doing the stairs one at a time. He added a bunch of exercises and told me I best get to it before our next appointment in two weeks. I honestly thought I was doing pretty good. I do limp when tired and I am still stiff. There is also some length difference now which they said will be better when my second hip is done. Because my joint was basically frozen my muscles shortened. My Physiotherapist has been helping me gently stretch things to avoid tendinitis. I must admit it took the wind out of my sails.
I don’t like the sound of your PT. Personally I wouldn’t go back to a PT if I had your experience. I am continuing PT outpatient for 4 weeks and I let the PT know immediately that I was not going to do anything that hurt me. I am barely walking up my stairs and use my surgery leg for only a couple steps daily.
I think you are right where you should be in your recovery.

I am in week five after surgery and the PT exercises to do at home included quad squeezes holding for 10 seconds, lying adductor slides, a seated banded ankle lift up and press down, no internal or external rotation, and seated calf raises. That’s it. I joked with him and said I was afraid he was going to make me do squats and lunges because of the PT horror stories that I have heard here. Lol.

But like you, I’m still limping and although I can sometimes walk without the cane I am choosing to use it because I cannot bear full weight on my surgery leg. I also get quite sore after walking for any length of time.

The PT diagnosed me with an antalgic gait, weakness in my quads and ankles. It sounds like your PT gave similar feedback. Since we are swollen and sore, of course we have a limp. Just know that you are not alone, we are in similar places in recovery, and it very well may take a full year to get completely recovered.
 
I am getting around better and walking more. My swelling came back with a vengeance . Icing and elevating again. Walking outside with 2 canes and can get by inside with 1. My hubby says my incision looks awesome! Full disclosure he’s a family doc so he’s been amazing through this. Also he’s a big believer in letting things heal and not pushing too hard.
 
Now that's what I call a support system @Mythmomma! Glad to hear you're improving.
 
Second hospital mandated physiotherapy. Uggghh! More like one hour boot camp. I’ve had physiotherapy before and it is always about gradual progression. First time doing leg raises and he put a two pound weight on and made me do twenty. Said bridges were non negotiable also twenty. Not only had me do clamshells but put on a resistance band. I said I wasn’t comfortable as it was only 5 weeks….nope you should be doing this. I see my surgeon next week and am going to tell her. I can barely move. I am angry with myself for not refusing. Unfortunately if I am seen as non compliant I’m worried it will affect my getting my second surgery. It feels like I have to prove I’m not lazy. I haven’t been this sore in three weeks.
 
Good Morning @Mythmomma

I’m really sorry you’re struggling, mentioning you can barely move. No one can force you to put your body through the motions you’ve described. Non-negotiable?!! Ridiculous, you can flat out refuse, it’s your body. Weights, Bridges, Resistance Bands, Clamshells…they can all be problematic, cause pain, stall your recovery or create chronic pain issues for you. Please use your voice and don’t allow anyone to pressure you into doing something that has now resulted in pain. Don’t be angry at yourself, just learn from this experience and let them know who’s boss next time around.

 
Here is another article that explains why some of the exercises you mentioned can be problematic -
 
I would contact the OS and let them know about your PT experience. Weights and bands are not THR friendly! I don't think an OS would be upset at you not doing things that hurt you and cause swelling. I really don't think they would hold it against you having a second surgery.
 
@Mythmomma Yikes 2lb weights so soon after your surgery?! I checked my old hip thread and my PT folks did not add weights until 2.5 months after the surgery and then it was 1lb weights only. I agree with the others here and that PT is not who you need! If I were you I'd tell Mr "non negotiable" to take a hike.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom