TKR My TKR Was Worth It!

Wow, what a great post! I used my walker in public for at least 6 weeks. It's better to be safe than sorry!
 
Hi @sistersinhim
That makes me feel better. I think I will continue to use it, too.
I really want to use a quad stick inside the house, though, as my border collie keeps getting in the way of the walker. She likes to walk in front of my waker, as if guiding me, but all she really does is get in my way. She's such a lovely dog, though, and is concerned about me, I think. When I got home from hospital she just gently put her head on my lap and gazed at me for a long time.
 
When I got home from hospital she just gently put her head on my lap and gazed at me for a long time.
That is so sweet! Our pets can really help us through this journey. Needing to care for them helps us move our knees. Their love and acceptance are so rewarding. I had 13 cats when I had my replacement. as I am a rescuer. Taking care of them was my PT. I never had any formal PT, just my daily activities, and I recovered just fine.

Maybe you could put a horn or bell on your walker than you make your sweet baby move away from the walker. You need to be really careful not to trip over her.
 
I hope this works… here’s my beautiful dog.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] My TKR Was Worth It!
    AE5F0C44-C738-475D-BAA1-9165E33D2B56.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 88
She is pretty!
 
Yes she is. Got her from a breeder who no longer wanted her after she had the requisite 35 puppies. Even though the breeder is reputable I still feel that many puppies is too many. But she’s spoiled rotten now! She has husband wrapped around her snowy white paw!
 
That’s a lot of puppies! :yikes: Do you know how many litters she had?

I fostered a mother cat and 3 kittens some years ago, and one day the mother looked up at me while the kittens climbed all over her, and knowing she would be neutered when she went back to the shelter for adoption, I told her “You will never have to do this again!” :heehee:
 
I love that! No, don’t know how many litters she had but the breeder just said she’d lost interest in her puppies with the last litter.
Don’t blame her. So would I if I had 35 children.
 
She definitely needs to be spoiled now!
 
Hi, @kiwicurls.... I hope your recovery is going well. Your dog is beautiful! We had friends years ago who had a border collie. My friend told me that their dog always “ herded”, as that was in their nature. So maybe she is”herding”you?
We have one very spoiled kitty; she was a rescue, someone had taken her to a nearby town that is very rural, & left her out to fend for herself in the cold. Fortunately, she was taken to our local shelter, and as I say, we “adopted one another”. I think our little animal friends sense when we “ rescue “ them, and are appreciative. “ Miss Felicity” often seems to “ care” for us ( I think she sometimes thinks we aren’t too intelligent”) :-). After my TKR, I could only be comfortable on our big couch downstairs. She would lay on my tummy every night, just be close. And at some time during the night, she would go upstairs & check on my husband. It was very sweet. I think she really tried to take care of us both. Years ago, when our kids were young, whenever one of them was sick, our little male kitty would “post guard “ outside the (open) door of that sick child. I’ve always found that comforting, and, I think they do help us in the healing process, in their own way.
I’m wishing you good success in your journey of healing. It’s not necessarily a fast one, but certainly worth it. I regularly say that I would do it again, in a heartbeat. My quality of life is So very much improved. Remember, as I was told, even a tiny bit of improvement each day is progress.. and they mount up over time. Take care, and my very best wishes to you!
 
Ah, she is a real beauty and has earned the right to be spoiled. Just be careful and not let her trip you!
 
@Catalien45 , Thanks for your lovely words. I don't know much about cats but yours seem to be gorgeous!
I know what you mean about animals sensing things. My son has a severely intellectually disabled daughter. She's non verbal and screams a lot, unfortunately. Our dog seems to calm her and stays close to her when she visits us. Almost as if trying to protect her. This is strange as our dog is rather submissive and timid usually. Sadly, my son's wife has Borderline Personality Disorder and loathes my husband and I. It's very hard on my son but we've done all we can, to no avail. One time she called me an alien from another planet, with a mission to destroy her. We see our son and granddaughter now and then, but never her.
 
Sorry, grammatical error there. Should have been, my husband and me.
 
Great day! I can walk unaided, hardly limping at all, around the house.
Physio says to keep using the walker when out in public just for safety reasons.
I feel fantastic being able to walk without the walker; a bit unsteady at first but ok now.
Bess wishes to everyone.
 
Just wanted to add something:
My physio says I am well ahead of most people at week 3. She wants to take me on her rounds to “inspire others”…
All I did was 5 minutes twice a day of gentle exercises, plus walking. I am nothing special and have not exerted myself at all in this recovery. If an exercise hurts, I don’t do it again.
My flexion is 110 ( not that this really matters) and my pain is controlled reasonably.
All of the above just goes to show how good the Bonesmart advice is.
Take it easy and slow and you will get there.
 
That‘s a great report!
 
What an inspiration you are to those coming up behind you! The BS way really does work well for most everybody.
 
All I did was 5 minutes twice a day of gentle exercises, plus walking. I ... have not exerted myself at all in this recovery. If an exercise hurts, I don’t do it again.
I wish we could engrave this on the foreheads of some of our members who think they need to push themselves to the point of pain. You are such a great "advertisement" for the "easy and slow" approach.

Thank you so much for sharing this!
 
I wonder why people come on this site if they are going to ignore every bit of sensible advice.
We have wondered the same thing many times. All we want to do is to help people through this awful journey the best way we can. People like you make it worthwhile and a blessing!
 
Back
Top Bottom