TKR My TKR Was Worth It!

Oops. Just realised this is getting away from knees and may be off topic. Sorry. Ignore it.
 
We can go off topic a little. I think this particular one, how do we treat ourselves in this recovery is an uplifting thing to talk about. It’s part of our recovery.

I remember stopping at a little ice cream place in our town, and it must have been on the way home from a PT appointment, probably in my second week post op, because I was still using my walker. The door we needed to go in was locked, so my husband went into the deli shop connected to it, to go through that way, then come let me in the door to the ice cream area, saving me a longer walk, and some stairs. While I was waiting for him, a young boy, maybe 10, saw me when he came out of the deli, and he asked me if I needed help. How sweet is that! Somebody raised him right! :roseshwr:
 
Lobster & champagne I can totally relate, :roseshwr:online shopping comes pretty close as does chocolate.
Spitting pips:heehee: now that I will need to try hahaha
 
That’s really cute! My ten year old grandson gave me nearly all of his Easter eggs last week because he felt sorry for me having such a big cut on my leg. Needless to say, I did not need 3 large choc bunnies, a bag of creme eggs, a 12 pack of eggs and a Lindt chicken… persuaded him to take most of it home with him.
8 year old granddaughter told me she’d be willing to sell me one of her Easter eggs if I wanted…. different as chalk and cheese, those two!
 
Good morning.
Just wondering how many of you had to wear compression stockings post op.
My surgeon stopped using them years ago and says they don’t do anything except cause more discomfort.
 
We have members whose surgeons do and don’t recommend them. It all seems to depend on the opinion of the surgeon.
 
I suppose so. When I worked in theatres most surgeons wore them themselves while operating.
I remember trying to fit them on patients in the hot Australian summer. An exhausting, sweaty task for both nurse and patient.
 
Just wondering how many of you had to wear compression stockings post op.
Hi @kiwicurls , my surgeon didn't request me to wear them but I know a couple of his other TKR patients whom he did recommend they wear them. I didn't ask why but assume the decisions were made based on the patients' health conditions.

I've taken to wearing a compression sock on my left leg whenever I go to the gym ... part of my strategy to keep swelling at bay. When I get home from the gym, I slip on a compression sleeve over the knee and wrap the knee and my thigh with colpac ice gels for 20-30 minutes.

Getting the compression sock on and off is not the funnest thing to do - given the extreme sensitivity of the lateral side of my lower left leg. But, I think it does the job helping keep swelling in check.
 
Hi @glidefloss, hope you’re doing ok?
Yes, I think you’re correct, it might be better for some people to still wear the stockings, with certain health issues.
Physio brought a set of bike pedals today and told me to just rock back and forward but I just kept going and it was easy to do full cycles. She was amazed but it just happened. I didn’t feel any discomfort at all. Husband is getting the exercise bike out for me now. It’s interesting how I found cycling so easy and others don’t as I am not keen on exercise at all.
However, when she set up a shallow step, I found the toe taps on alternating legs very challenging. Strange.
 
Here in Portugal, it is the norm to be put in compression stockings, I had the full length ones on both surgeries and had to wear them on both legs for 28 days plus I had the Lovenox injections too daily in my tummy.
After the 2nd week I was allowed to just wear day time as I found them extremely uncomfortable at night.
The compression stocking here are open toed, as we live mostly in a hot climate its to facilitate the use of flip Flops it also makes getting them on and off easier, I used to use a plastic bag and slip my foot in it once the stockings was past the foot, I pulled out the bag.
I think they helped but mostly think it was just a precaution on their part.
 
Hi @Sara61
The stockings must be very uncomfortable in the heat.
They use oral anti coagulants here mostly; rare to have the tummy injections.
Who really knows if all these things help or not? Sometimes I think it’s simple bad luck when someone gets a DVT or worse.
I discovered I can’t actually get onto the exercise bike so will just stick to the pedal device for now. The physio left it here.
 
@kiwicurls
My consultant's opinion was, the stockings are at the bottom of the totem pole for clot prevention and as his patients had enough to contend with, once out of hospital regular ankle and calf pumps, light walking and the tablets were enough.
 
...and to me but I must bear in mind that was pertinent to me. I'd hate to think removal of stockings might adversely affect someone who really needs them so I guess we all go with the advice given to us at the time.
 
I had to wear compression stockings for my hip replacements (2014 & 2018) and my first TKR in 2018 but not with this one. I’m taking baby aspirin twice daily.

Marie
 
Raining heavily today so I am reduced to doing laps of the carport and covered area outside.
Took panadol at 10pm last night and slept until 7am. Woke to find my good leg on top of the other one, pillow on the floor and a lot of pain. After diclofenac and panadol I recovered, thankfully. Did a little online clothes shopping to treat myself. Yes, another dress! Can’t help myself. Anyone else? How do you treat yourself?
I have been asking husband to buy me a lobster but he keeps forgetting.
Hi kiwicurls! I treat myself by online shopping too. I live in North Carolina where it's pretty warm, and most of my spring/summer wardrobe is simply short, sleeveless dresses (above the knee). They are the most comfortable things for me to wear, as opposed to shorts, which never look good on me. But with my new knee (I'm just over 3 weeks) I've been buying a few midi and maxi dresses. So happy they're in style now! My husband and I have been able to go out just a few times in the evening and I love feeling pretty instead of well, you know. How I look when I'm home, on the ice machine, and doing exercises! Once I see my surgeon in a couple weeks, and once the steri-strips come off, I may be comfortable to show my knee - I don't know how soon though. Some people are queasy, haha. Your lobster idea is a good one!
 
Hi @JojoFitness
I know what you mean about looking pretty!
I haven’t ventured out much yet because there’s still so much covid around here. However, I am getting cabin fever and might go out for lunch next week to a café with outdoor seating.
I have worn maxi dresses for years. I have never cared for what’s in fashion; I know what suits me.
The knee length dresses are very comfortable but my scar is rather confronting just now ( not quite 3 weeks out). Full of dips and hollows, as if someone has take big bites out of me! Might wear a maxi and denim jacket if I go out.
I don’t think I’ll be getting into my jeans just yet, sadly. I do have nice winter dresses, though.
Best wishes for a good recovery.
 
Last night was the first night in bed with scar uncovered and it was fine, the bedclothes didn’t bother me.
Today is cold, wet and miserable and I decided to put some light trousers on. Ah, no. My knee protested at the material very strongly.
How long does this last and any suggestions for a sensitive scar?
 
Was feeling a bit low today but daughter texted she’s buying a comfy, high, armchair so I can visit her. I have long been complaining that all of her furniture is so low I need to pile up pillows in order to sit down anywhere. Anyone else hate sofas which are barely above floor level?
I do remember back in the seventies, having bean bags and slouching on the floor.
Old age sure isn’t for sissies.
I wanna go back to the seventies!
 
I have some low back/hip issues, and I’m not usually comfortable at other houses. Nothing like home for comfort!

That’s so nice of your daughter to care enough to buy a new chair with you in mind!
 
Back
Top Bottom