TKR My TKR Was Worth It!

Done! (and I added ! to it)

I’m glad you‘ve had such a good outcome, and so early. I bet it will still continue to get even better. :flwrysmile:
 
I'm so happy to hear your knee is doing so well!
 
Hi, @kiwicurls ! I’m so happy I saw your latest post before you changed your title! I haven’t been on in some time, & might not have recognized it was you. I’m so very glad to hear that your knee went well. I’ll have to search on the other sites & see how it has been for your foot surgery, I believe you indicated it was scheduled for the 27th?

Our summer has just Flown by, & was pretty busy. We had our grandson every Sunday evening through Tuesday evening. It was Busy!! Fortunately, he is very good-natured, & a good little guy….. and, as a 7-year-old little boy, can be a bit mischievous! But we thoroughly enjoyed having him here. We also had our garden, & added a third one, which is nice. We’ve been enjoying the summer squash, tomatoes, & broccoli, and tomatillos. I bought an extra 4-pack of cherry tomatoes on impulse, & we have SO many! I share with friends at Farmers Market, & checkers at the grocery store, & plan to try my hand at a roasted tomato spaghetti sauce I found. Also, I always make peach preserves, sort of a family tradition. And, we finally made our trip to Texas to visit family. It was wonderful, we had not seen any of them for 3 years. My big brother & his wife, both now 86, looked great, as well as my sister, her daughter & 2 granddaughters. We really have missed them, we’re a close family. And, some incredible eating….

My knee also is doing well, although I still don’t have full ROM. We walk Monday- Friday just over a mile early in the morning, & I’m pretty active during the day. My balance is fairly lousy at times recently, I think I need to work on my quad strength some, I will have to post a question on that on my thread. But when I saw your post today, I just had to pop in & say Hi…. I think of you often, & hope you are doing well. I’ll try to check in more often now, things are slowing down a bit. Do keep us posted on your foot surgery. I will try to find where your posts on that are.

Do take care, and I’m so glad to see that your TKR went well.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, my hip is actually remarkably good since day one.
 
Hi @Catalien45, lovely to hear from you and that your knee is doing fine. I wouldn't have a clue what my flexion is now but I can do everyday things easily so who cares? Like you, my balance is a little wobbly at times, but I just grab Steve's arm or the shopping trolley. I find I am wobbly when I get up after sitting for more than half an hour.

The best exercise for quad strength is straight leg raises. I should do them too but can't be bothered. I am very lazy.
How lovely to have your little grandson for so long! We are very lucky to see our grandkids, aren't we, when so many cannot. My granddaughter is sad that the Queen died but, as her name is Elizabeth too, maybe she should take over the job, she suggested. Aren't children cute?

Your garden sounds great. I have never heard of tomatillos, must look them up. The roasted tomato spaghetti sauce sounds lovely. If it works, may I have the recipe please? Peach preserves sound delicious. If I lived a little closer I would drop in for morning tea but Australia is just a tad too far, isn't it!
Our snow peas have grown amazingly well this winter and we eat them almost every day. I have given loads away, just like you do with your cherry tomatoes. It's spring here now and I am on the hunt for tomato plants. Still slightly too cool for them but won't be long.
Great that you got to Texas to visit your family. On a cruise once, we met several Texan couples and kept in touch for many years with one couple until sadly she died.
My thread is on "other joints" and called 'bunion surgery and more', if I remember correctly.
Again, lovely to hear from you.
 
@Catalien45
Here is Kiwicurls’ bunion surgery thread:
 
my balance is a little wobbly at times
At 1 year, my knee feels good with almost any activity and I'm now re-focused on strengthening and balance. I've been working more on balance recently using a few PT exercises that strengthen the whole leg, especially the hip and calf muscles. For months, I've been focused on the quad and hamstring for full range of motion for the knee. I realized it's time to work on the whole me. Give it time.
 
Hi again @kiwicurls ! And @hawk2go & Jamie. It feels good to see old friends & also to keep learning. I will try this evening & look at your other thread, kiwi… we just got home from a trip toFt Collins ( about 45 minutes from us), to get some plywood that my husband needed for his current project. We always use that trip as an excuse to eat at our very favorite restaurant, a Vietnamese-Chinese place… we politely always look at the menu, but always get our favorites…his, the curried chicken, mine, cashew chicken. This afternoon, I need to cook down some tomatoes for the freezer - we still are getting lots! And I plan to try that cherry tomato roasted spaghetti sauce today or tomorrow. You asked about tomatillos…they look like a small green ( sometimes purple) tomato, but the grow Inside a husk, which forms before the tomato. When the tomatillos fill & burst the husk, you pick them. They just fascinate me. They are a bit tart, but I like them best in an enchilada sauce Recipe I found. They’re really fun! I find it interesting that, while you are just beginning to look for tomato plants, we are harvesting ours, and our growing season will wrap up in a few weeks. I wish you Could come over & enjoy a nice tea, with some biscuits, butter & peach jam ! If you’re ever states side, in Colorado, just let me know :-) thankyou for the tip on leg lifts to help with balance! I’ve been making sure to do that every day, aiming towards 2x daily. My Dr did tell me that strengthening my quads would help most with balance.

@hawk2go, you were a real encouragement to me when you mentioned that you were still facing a challenge with balance. You’re a bit ahead of me on the surgery, mine was early October. I had to chuckle, looking at my tomatillos……. I remember having a big container of them in our fridge last year, shortly after my TKR. I’d mentioned that “maybe I could cook them down into the enchilada sauce”….. I believe it was you, possibly @SusieQ, who suggested that I wait, that Might be a bit ambitious. I wound up throwing them out. And, I learned to let my body rest, and heal. I have learned So much from folks on this site… it’s very good for someone as hard-headed as I can be. Thanks. I’ll be looking up some good exercises for my legs, my balance is still “ off” a lot, and, I see my surgeon for my one year checkup in a few weeks…..

Well, I should get to work on those tomatoes! I’ve been cooking them down slowly like my sister taught me, & then freezing them ,they make an incredible, rich sauce for all sorts of things.
Everyone take care. It’s Beginnig to look more like fall here. I’m hoping weather is going well for all of you, too.
 
Oops! I just re-read a bit back, & realized I just repeated much of my post from last night….. I thought it had escaped into oblivion…. Sorry for the error!
 
Well, not to hijack the thread but I don't remember telling you not to cook your tomatoes last year but if I did it was only because you needed to rest and not be on your feet too much! (it's nice to see you again, @Catalien45 !)
 
Back
Top Bottom